P4S533 and newer video cards question

Hello all!

I've been thinking about upgrading my current video card (GeForce3 Ti200) to
one of the newer mid-level cards (Radeon 9x00 or GeForce FX5x00) for use
with my P4S533 motherboard.

It occurred to me though that there might be some compatibility issues due
to the AGP difference (4x vs 8x). Would these newer AGP 8x cards even work
on this AGP4x motherboard? If so, would I see a noticeable degredation in
performance? Or is it simply pointless to buy one of these video cards for
this motherboard?

Thanks to all useful replies!

P. Ruzicka

dick

I use a Radeon 9600Pro with my P4S533 motherboard.

ruzicka wrote:
> Hello all!
>

> I've been thinking about upgrading my current video card (GeForce3 Ti200) to
> one of the newer mid-level cards (Radeon 9x00 or GeForce FX5x00) for use
> with my P4S533 motherboard.
>

> It occurred to me though that there might be some compatibility issues due
> to the AGP difference (4x vs 8x). Would these newer AGP 8x cards even work
> on this AGP4x motherboard? If so, would I see a noticeable degredation in
> performance? Or is it simply pointless to buy one of these video cards for
> this motherboard?
>

> Thanks to all useful replies!
>

> P. Ruzicka

The cards you mentioned are 8x cards and will run slower if used in your 4x
max motherboard.

--
DaveW

"ruzicka" <ruzicka(at)pcisys.net> wrote in message
> Hello all!
>

> I've been thinking about upgrading my current video card (GeForce3 Ti200)
> one of the newer mid-level cards (Radeon 9x00 or GeForce FX5x00) for use
> with my P4S533 motherboard.
>

> It occurred to me though that there might be some compatibility issues due
> to the AGP difference (4x vs 8x). Would these newer AGP 8x cards even
work
> on this AGP4x motherboard? If so, would I see a noticeable degredation in
> performance? Or is it simply pointless to buy one of these video cards
for
> this motherboard?
>

> Thanks to all useful replies!
>

> P. Ruzicka

Any idea HOW much slower? Should I expect to see a 10% reduction? 20%?
50%?

Thanks!