P4S533 and newer video cards question

Hello all!

I've been thinking about upgrading my current video card (GeForce3 Ti200) to
one of the newer mid-level cards (Radeon 9x00 or GeForce FX5x00) for use
with my P4S533 motherboard.

It occurred to me though that there might be some compatibility issues due
to the AGP difference (4x vs 8x). Would these newer AGP 8x cards even work
on this AGP4x motherboard? If so, would I see a noticeable degredation in
performance? Or is it simply pointless to buy one of these video cards for
this motherboard?

Thanks to all useful replies!

P. Ruzicka
3 answers Last reply
More about p4s533 newer video cards question

    I use a Radeon 9600Pro with my P4S533 motherboard.

    ruzicka wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >

    > I've been thinking about upgrading my current video card (GeForce3 Ti200) to
    > one of the newer mid-level cards (Radeon 9x00 or GeForce FX5x00) for use
    > with my P4S533 motherboard.
    >

    > It occurred to me though that there might be some compatibility issues due
    > to the AGP difference (4x vs 8x). Would these newer AGP 8x cards even work
    > on this AGP4x motherboard? If so, would I see a noticeable degredation in
    > performance? Or is it simply pointless to buy one of these video cards for
    > this motherboard?
    >

    > Thanks to all useful replies!
    >

    > P. Ruzicka

    The cards you mentioned are 8x cards and will run slower if used in your 4x
    max motherboard.

    --
    DaveW

    "ruzicka" <ruzicka(at)pcisys.net> wrote in message
    > Hello all!
    >

    > I've been thinking about upgrading my current video card (GeForce3 Ti200)
    > one of the newer mid-level cards (Radeon 9x00 or GeForce FX5x00) for use
    > with my P4S533 motherboard.
    >

    > It occurred to me though that there might be some compatibility issues due
    > to the AGP difference (4x vs 8x). Would these newer AGP 8x cards even
    work
    > on this AGP4x motherboard? If so, would I see a noticeable degredation in
    > performance? Or is it simply pointless to buy one of these video cards
    for
    > this motherboard?
    >

    > Thanks to all useful replies!
    >

    > P. Ruzicka

    Any idea HOW much slower? Should I expect to see a 10% reduction? 20%?
    50%?

    Thanks!

    > The cards you mentioned are 8x cards and will run slower if used in your
    4x
    > max motherboard.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "ruzicka" <ruzicka(at)pcisys.net> wrote in message
    > > Hello all!
    > >

    > > I've been thinking about upgrading my current video card (GeForce3
    Ti200)
    > > one of the newer mid-level cards (Radeon 9x00 or GeForce FX5x00) for use
    > > with my P4S533 motherboard.
    > >

    > > It occurred to me though that there might be some compatibility issues
    due
    > > to the AGP difference (4x vs 8x). Would these newer AGP 8x cards even
    > work
    > > on this AGP4x motherboard? If so, would I see a noticeable degredation
    in
    > > performance? Or is it simply pointless to buy one of these video cards
    > for
    > > this motherboard?
    > >

    > > Thanks to all useful replies!
    > >

    > > P. Ruzicka