After installing a HP Laserjet : extra software starting u..

Hello,
after installing my brand new HP 1012 Laserjet ,
I noticed that connecting to my work via VPN did not work anymore.
How could that be...?? ?? A coincidence ?
After a few hours of research, I've found that
in my "msconfig", 4 extra modules were loaded at startup :
1) Tomcatstartup --- hpbpsttp.exe
2) Statusclient.exe
3) HP Port resolver -- hpbpro.exe
4) HP Status resolver -- hpboid.exe

All of these have to do with HP.

And I've found that it was nr 1, 'tomcatstartup' that was fighting against
my VPN software.
So I disabled it, and I see no impact for the printer. But my VPN works
again !

Are these modules necessary ?
Are they spy-ware?
Any comment...???

Thanks
--

R-ton
Belgium

I've no personal experience, but google gave me this
http://blogs.msdn.com/tonyschr/archive/2004/03/30/104467.aspx
which might explain the TomCat server being started. The implication of
it is that if you don't have tomcat running, then the printer tools
won't work, but maybe you don't use them anyway.

David

R-ton wrote:
> Hello,
> after installing my brand new HP 1012 Laserjet ,
> I noticed that connecting to my work via VPN did not work anymore.
> How could that be...?? ?? A coincidence ?
> After a few hours of research, I've found that
> in my "msconfig", 4 extra modules were loaded at startup :
> 1) Tomcatstartup --- hpbpsttp.exe
> 2) Statusclient.exe
> 3) HP Port resolver -- hpbpro.exe
> 4) HP Status resolver -- hpboid.exe
>
> All of these have to do with HP.
>
> And I've found that it was nr 1, 'tomcatstartup' that was fighting against
> my VPN software.
> So I disabled it, and I see no impact for the printer. But my VPN works
> again !
>
> Are these modules necessary ?
> Are they spy-ware?
> Any comment...???
>
> Thanks
> --
>
> R-ton
> Belgium

You can download the driver, 900k, or the driver and tools, 55mb. Either
will operate the printer. That should tell you which is loading up your
startup.