quiet system (chassis) fan?

Hello,

I have noticed that the chassis fans (12v DC fan) that come with hp D-serie
systems (with Asus mainboards) are very quiet and seems to run on 5v.

But when I connect a chassis fan to a "normal" Asus mainboard (like a P4P800
serie, p4pe-x, K8V, or what ever) the fan just runs full speed (12v) and is
making a lot of noise. I connect the fan to the 3pin chassis fan header on
the main board. Is there a way to adjust the fan trough the bios or
something?

Thanks!

Werner

"Driekes" <driekes@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have noticed that the chassis fans (12v DC fan) that come with hp
D-serie
> systems (with Asus mainboards) are very quiet and seems to run on 5v.
>
> But when I connect a chassis fan to a "normal" Asus mainboard (like a
P4P800
I'm not sure what you mean by connecting the chassis fan to a MB. The
chassis or case fans should be connected to the one of the 4 pin connectors
from the power supply.
> serie, p4pe-x, K8V, or what ever) the fan just runs full speed (12v) and
is
> making a lot of noise. I connect the fan to the 3pin chassis fan header on
> the main board. Is there a way to adjust the fan trough the bios or
> something?
I believe that the 3pin chassis fan header is only to monitor fan speed not
to provide any adjustments. If you want to control chassis fan speed you
should check to see if your pc case has such the capability. For example my
Antec case has a feature that when connected to the connectors marked "fan
only" will automatically regulate the rotation of the fans depending on the
demands. I have my two rear fans connected this way and they are
realatively quite. I have a third fan, blowing directly on my video card,
that is connected to a regular connector and is somewhat more noisy.
> Thanks!
>
> Werner

Yes okay, but the strange thing is that al hp desktops (and ml310 330
servers) have this feature on the mainboard. And the mainboard is also from
Asus (or MSI). It looks the same, just a simple 3 pin connector wich says
"chassis fan" and there is a fan connected to it. The difference is that
there is no 12v but 5v on the pins.

Most cases I use (Enlight) have rear-fans but I don't use them because of
the noise..

"ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net> schreef in bericht

> "Driekes" <driekes@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have noticed that the chassis fans (12v DC fan) that come with hp
> D-serie
> > systems (with Asus mainboards) are very quiet and seems to run on 5v.
> >
> > But when I connect a chassis fan to a "normal" Asus mainboard (like a
> P4P800
> I'm not sure what you mean by connecting the chassis fan to a MB. The
> chassis or case fans should be connected to the one of the 4 pin
connectors
> from the power supply.
> > serie, p4pe-x, K8V, or what ever) the fan just runs full speed (12v) and
> is
> > making a lot of noise. I connect the fan to the 3pin chassis fan header
on
> > the main board. Is there a way to adjust the fan trough the bios or
> > something?
> I believe that the 3pin chassis fan header is only to monitor fan speed
not
> to provide any adjustments. If you want to control chassis fan speed you
> should check to see if your pc case has such the capability. For example
my
> Antec case has a feature that when connected to the connectors marked "fan
> only" will automatically regulate the rotation of the fans depending on
the
> demands. I have my two rear fans connected this way and they are
> realatively quite. I have a third fan, blowing directly on my video card,
> that is connected to a regular connector and is somewhat more noisy.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Werner

Hi
ASUS calls that Q-FAN tech. the reg is done by the reg. "12V" pin
which varies from 7-12V (on my P4C800)
Cheers
Sam

"ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<7iOSc.247843$IQ4.118391@attbi_s02>...
> "Driekes" <driekes@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have noticed that the chassis fans (12v DC fan) that come with hp
> D-serie
> > systems (with Asus mainboards) are very quiet and seems to run on 5v.
> >
> > But when I connect a chassis fan to a "normal" Asus mainboard (like a
> P4P800
> I'm not sure what you mean by connecting the chassis fan to a MB. The
> chassis or case fans should be connected to the one of the 4 pin connectors
> from the power supply.
> > serie, p4pe-x, K8V, or what ever) the fan just runs full speed (12v) and
> is
> > making a lot of noise. I connect the fan to the 3pin chassis fan header on
> > the main board. Is there a way to adjust the fan trough the bios or
> > something?
> I believe that the 3pin chassis fan header is only to monitor fan speed not
> to provide any adjustments. If you want to control chassis fan speed you
> should check to see if your pc case has such the capability. For example my
> Antec case has a feature that when connected to the connectors marked "fan
> only" will automatically regulate the rotation of the fans depending on the
> demands. I have my two rear fans connected this way and they are
> realatively quite. I have a third fan, blowing directly on my video card,
> that is connected to a regular connector and is somewhat more noisy.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Werner

Sam,

I thought that the Q-Fan function only works on teh CPU-FAN header?

Driekes
"sam.vanratt" <sam.vanratt@gmx.net> schreef in bericht
> Hi
> ASUS calls that Q-FAN tech. the reg is done by the reg. "12V" pin
> which varies from 7-12V (on my P4C800)
> Cheers
> Sam
>
> "ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > "Driekes" <driekes@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have noticed that the chassis fans (12v DC fan) that come with hp
> > D-serie
> > > systems (with Asus mainboards) are very quiet and seems to run on 5v.
> > >
> > > But when I connect a chassis fan to a "normal" Asus mainboard (like a
> > P4P800
> > I'm not sure what you mean by connecting the chassis fan to a MB. The
> > chassis or case fans should be connected to the one of the 4 pin
connectors
> > from the power supply.
> > > serie, p4pe-x, K8V, or what ever) the fan just runs full speed (12v)
and
> > is
> > > making a lot of noise. I connect the fan to the 3pin chassis fan
header on
> > > the main board. Is there a way to adjust the fan trough the bios or
> > > something?
> > I believe that the 3pin chassis fan header is only to monitor fan speed
not
> > to provide any adjustments. If you want to control chassis fan speed
you
> > should check to see if your pc case has such the capability. For
example my
> > Antec case has a feature that when connected to the connectors marked
"fan
> > only" will automatically regulate the rotation of the fans depending on
the
> > demands. I have my two rear fans connected this way and they are
> > realatively quite. I have a third fan, blowing directly on my video
card,
> > that is connected to a regular connector and is somewhat more noisy.
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Werner

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:36:51 +0200, "Driekes"
<biker_driekes@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I thought that the Q-Fan function only works on teh CPU-FAN header?

yes.

Found out in the last Asusworld magazine:

Q-Fan2 also regulates the chassis fan, only on the newest deluxe boards. I
don't understand why it toke so long..