Can you run FSB@200 but memory@166 with Asus A7V8X-X?

There have been a couple of posts lately about overclocking XP2500 or
XP2400 CPUs to use 200FSB but nothing quite answers my question.

I have a multiplier locked XP2500 running at default (166x11 =
1826Mhz) with PC2700 (DDR333) ram running at the 166Mhz setting in the
bios.

I don't want to buy any new components (no money at the moment) but i
have the opportunity to get a Asus A7N8X-X motherboard off a friend.
So here's my question.

Assuming my XP2500 will run stable at 200x11 (lets just assume that it
can), will i be able to use my PC2700 ram without overclocking it to
DDR400 speeds? The ram is cheap generic pc2700 so i doubt it will take
the overclocking.

I remember an old motherboard let me run my CPU at 133Mhz and i had
the choice of running the Ram at either 133 or 100. I'm hoping maybe
the Asus A7N8x-x will let me run the cpu at 200 while running the
memory at 166?

Any thoughts appreciated.

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:05:55 GMT, kevins_news2
<kevins_news2@rogers.n0spam.com> wrote:

>There have been a couple of posts lately about overclocking XP2500 or
>XP2400 CPUs to use 200FSB but nothing quite answers my question.
>
>I have a multiplier locked XP2500 running at default (166x11 =
>1826Mhz) with PC2700 (DDR333) ram running at the 166Mhz setting in the
>bios.
>
>I don't want to buy any new components (no money at the moment) but i
>have the opportunity to get a Asus A7N8X-X motherboard off a friend.
>So here's my question.
>
>Assuming my XP2500 will run stable at 200x11 (lets just assume that it
>can), will i be able to use my PC2700 ram without overclocking it to
>DDR400 speeds? The ram is cheap generic pc2700 so i doubt it will take
>the overclocking.
>
>I remember an old motherboard let me run my CPU at 133Mhz and i had
>the choice of running the Ram at either 133 or 100. I'm hoping maybe
>the Asus A7N8x-x will let me run the cpu at 200 while running the
>memory at 166?
>
>Any thoughts appreciated.

Whoops. I mean an A7N8x-x motherboard.

kevins_news2 wrote:

> There have been a couple of posts lately about overclocking XP2500 or
> XP2400 CPUs to use 200FSB but nothing quite answers my question.
>
> I have a multiplier locked XP2500 running at default (166x11 =
> 1826Mhz) with PC2700 (DDR333) ram running at the 166Mhz setting in the
> bios.
>
> I don't want to buy any new components (no money at the moment) but i
> have the opportunity to get a Asus A7N8X-X motherboard off a friend.
> So here's my question.
>
> Assuming my XP2500 will run stable at 200x11 (lets just assume that it
> can), will i be able to use my PC2700 ram without overclocking it to
> DDR400 speeds? The ram is cheap generic pc2700 so i doubt it will take
> the overclocking.
>
> I remember an old motherboard let me run my CPU at 133Mhz and i had
> the choice of running the Ram at either 133 or 100. I'm hoping maybe
> the Asus A7N8x-x will let me run the cpu at 200 while running the
> memory at 166?
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

I'm not sure how fast your memorys can go but the way to get a good fsb
speed is to go to the agp bus speed in bios and it's probably on
auto.You have to change that to 66 as the pci bus are connected to it
and do the half speed of it.Then you have the right pci bus speed
whatever you do with your fsb settings.Keep your multiplier on 11 and
raise your frontsidebus speed to 196 or something.And keep an eye on
your memory speed and try out different settings from there.You can run
your memorys at 80 % of the frontsidebus speed and you change that in
bios as well.
god luck
al

ps I run mine barton 2500 at 11/ 200 and my memorys works in the same
speed as well.Apacer are the brand 7-4-4-3 optimal

> Whoops. I mean an A7N8x-x motherboard.

yes but I guess they are just the same when it comes to pci bus speeds-
Have a look :)