A7N8X-Deluxe cpu voltage?

Hi all,

I've been having heat trouble with my new system and I've just spotted
something. The Vcore is being reported in AsusProbe as 1.85 volts. I'm sure
I saw in an AMD tech file it's meant to be 1.65 volts for a Barton-core
XP3200.
I've checked my BIOS (v1005) and the only manual voltage options for Vcore
are 1.8, 1.825 and 1.85.

Am I going nuts? I'm sure v1005 is meant to be able to handle XP3200 cpus,
and if not, would the Vcore being at 1.85v be the cause of my woes?

Any thoughts?

Cheers all.

**remove n0spam to talk to me**

peter

maybe its time to visit the ASUS website and get a newer BIOS.
I run a A7N8X -del ver 2.0 with the new 1008 Bios and my Barton 2500 shows a v
core of 1.65 in the BIOS and its adjustable upwards from there.Even overclocked
I use the default v core because of temp concerns in the summer months.
Yes a higher voltage would cause heat problems.
peter
"Vormulac" <tristanluscomben0spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've been having heat trouble with my new system and I've just spotted
> something. The Vcore is being reported in AsusProbe as 1.85 volts. I'm sure
> I saw in an AMD tech file it's meant to be 1.65 volts for a Barton-core
> XP3200.
> I've checked my BIOS (v1005) and the only manual voltage options for Vcore
> are 1.8, 1.825 and 1.85.
>
> Am I going nuts? I'm sure v1005 is meant to be able to handle XP3200 cpus,
> and if not, would the Vcore being at 1.85v be the cause of my woes?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers all.
>
> **remove n0spam to talk to me**

I could be wrong, but I thought the 1008 bios was rev 1 boards only, not
revision 2. Don't forget that these boards over-volt slightly too...

Dom

D R Tester wrote:
> I could be wrong, but I thought the 1008 bios was rev 1 boards only,
> not revision 2. Don't forget that these boards over-volt slightly

1.008 for rev 2 was released 2 days ago ftp.asuscom.de

Paul

Splendid

In article <Xns9543EB0A86842tristanluscombehotma@194.117.143.38>, Vormulac
<tristanluscomben0spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been having heat trouble with my new system and I've just spotted
> something. The Vcore is being reported in AsusProbe as 1.85 volts. I'm sure
> I saw in an AMD tech file it's meant to be 1.65 volts for a Barton-core
> XP3200.
> I've checked my BIOS (v1005) and the only manual voltage options for Vcore
> are 1.8, 1.825 and 1.85.
>
> Am I going nuts? I'm sure v1005 is meant to be able to handle XP3200 cpus,
> and if not, would the Vcore being at 1.85v be the cause of my woes?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers all.
>
> **remove n0spam to talk to me**

Is this a brand new board, a refurb, or a used one ?

If one of the latter two, maybe someone did a wire mod for
Vcore ?

VID values from the L6917BD Vcore regulator datasheet:
http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/8162.pdf

VID4 - VID0 Vcore
1 1 1 1 0 1.100
1 0 0 0 0 1.450
0 1 1 1 1 1.475
0 1 0 1 1 1.575
0 1 0 1 0 1.600
0 1 0 0 1 1.625
0 1 0 0 0 1.650
0 0 1 1 1 1.675
0 0 1 1 0 1.700
0 0 1 0 1 1.725
0 0 1 0 0 1.750
0 0 0 1 1 1.775
0 0 0 1 0 1.800
0 0 0 0 1 1.825
0 0 0 0 0 1.850

You can use the socket view here, and set a voltage, to see
what a wire mode would look like:

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

It could be someone messed with VID3, or one of the bridges on
the top of the processor is defective.

HTH,
Paul

It's a board I bought new over a year ago, but it's the only component that
remained in my recent system upgrade.

I just flashed with the 1007Uber BIOS and unfortunately I see that that one
doesn't offer a Vcore lower than 1.8v either. I shall try the 1008 for Rev
2.0

I didn't think it could be anything wrong with the cpu, I figured if the
chip itself was buggered it wouldn't overheat, it just wouldn't work! I
take it I was wrong in that assumption?

Thanks for all your help by the way chaps, I really appreciate it.