Mouse slows down randomly

The speed of my mouse changes seemingly at random. I'll
be in the middle of something when all of a sudden it is
moving at a much slower speed.

When I check the Mouse control panel the Motion setting
is still set to the same value. Then later (it could be
1/2 hour to several hours later) the mouse will regain
normal speed.

I've analyzed the processes that are running during
normal mouse operation and slow operation and found no
difference. During slow operation I've tried ending
certain processes to see if that fixes it but to no avail.

I have MS IntelliPoint 4.1 installed. The mouse is an
IntelliMouse Explorer. I've been using this mouse for a
while and never had this problem until a week ago. The
start of the problem didn't coincide with any particulare
software installation or update of any kind. There is no
particular action that causes the mouse to slow down --
it seems to happen randomly. My computer is virus free.

Any idea what could be wrong?

lllusion

In article <1821001c44a2b$7b06aa20$a401280a@phx.gbl>, keith5000
@hotmail.com says...
> The speed of my mouse changes seemingly at random. I'll
> be in the middle of something when all of a sudden it is
> moving at a much slower speed.

Yep, I it's related to many other mouse issues. This issue, just as you
describe, was happening to me before the mouse froze completely.
Check out the following thread.

From: "Jason Bibeau"
Subject: USB Mouse Not Working After Running Win Update
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 10:03:54 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

--
Howie
"The very belief that violence is unavoidable