A7V8X Memory Problems

I had 2-512MB PC2700 sticks of memory in a A7V8X and replaced them 2-512MB
PC3200. On reboot they show as 256MB for each stick.

What would be the problem here.

--
Thanks
Jonesgold

Remove the NOSPAM
NOSPAMjonesgold@hotmail.com

Jonesgold wrote:
> I had 2-512MB PC2700 sticks of memory in a A7V8X and replaced them 2-512MB
> PC3200. On reboot they show as 256MB for each stick.
>
> What would be the problem here.

The A7V8X only supports one slot (2 banks) of PC3200 memory. It
supports 2 slots (4 banks) of PC2700 memory - that's why it worked
correctly before you changed the RAM.

Paul

Splendid

In article <Y8udnZxQ6v8qbYHcRVn-gQ@aros.net>, "David P. Greer"
<dpgreer@aros.net> wrote:

> Jonesgold wrote:
> > I had 2-512MB PC2700 sticks of memory in a A7V8X and replaced them 2-512MB
> > PC3200. On reboot they show as 256MB for each stick.
> >
> > What would be the problem here.
> >

> The A7V8X only supports one slot (2 banks) of PC3200 memory. It
> supports 2 slots (4 banks) of PC2700 memory - that's why it worked
> correctly before you changed the RAM.

But that issue should manifest itself as a high error rate when
reading and writing the ram. If you tried to run two sticks,
probably Windows would crash on boot, if the BIOS tried to run
them at DDR400. The thing is, it doesn't help the signal integrity
problem caused by two sticks at DDR400, to ignore one of the
modules, as the second stick causes signal reflections whether
the computer uses the module or not. So I cannot see why the BIOS
would try to solve this problem by turning off a DIMM - if anything
it should simply set the memory to run at DDR333. (In any case, try
them in slot 1 and slot 3, and if you have a bad slot, other slot
combos will probably have a slightly higher error rate.)

That era of chipset shouldn't have a problem with "density", like
on 440BX based boards. Even if, by chance, you managed to buy two
single sided Micron or Samsung 512MB modules, according to the Asus
manual the slots take 1GB max modules, which means the row/column
support is there for 64Mx8 chips and it should still work. So,
whether the module is a single sided 512MB or a double sided 512MB,
the fact the board can accept a 1GB module means it can handle both
those types.

I would test the sticks one at a time, in slot 3, furthest from
the processor. Get a copy of memtest and verify each module is
good. You could also "walk" the one stick through all three memory
slots and verify all your slots are good.

If they are branded memory, perhaps you could post back the contents
of the paper labels on them, the label on one of the memory chips,
etc. Perhaps, no guarantee, someone can figure out exactly what you
bought.

The Crucial page for your board lists PC3200 modules, so you should
at least be able to plug them in.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=A7V8X&submit=Go

HTH,
Paul