Linksys Wireless-G card not working

cheryl

I am running Windows XP Professional. I have a Linksys router. I can
connect directly to the router via a cable and access the internet, but the
Linksys wireless-G card does not work. It cannot associate with the access
point. My roommate has a different brand of card and hers is working. If I
look in the device manager it shows that the card itself is functioning
properly. I also checked and the windows zero configuration service is
running. I spoke with Linksys support and they said that the problem had
something to do with the card and the windows zero configuration but they
told me to contact Microsoft b/c it was beyond the scope of what they could
do to help me.

Malke

Cheryl wrote:

> I am running Windows XP Professional. I have a Linksys router. I can
> connect directly to the router via a cable and access the internet,
> but the
> Linksys wireless-G card does not work. It cannot associate with the
> access
> point. My roommate has a different brand of card and hers is working.
> If I look in the device manager it shows that the card itself is
> functioning
> properly. I also checked and the windows zero configuration service
> is
> running. I spoke with Linksys support and they said that the problem
> had something to do with the card and the windows zero configuration
> but they told me to contact Microsoft b/c it was beyond the scope of
> what they could do to help me.

A few things to check:

1. Is the machine a laptop? If so, do you have the wireless turned on?
Many newer laptops have a button on the case that turns the wireless on
and off. Look and see if yours is one of those. Refer to your manual.

2. If the above isn't the issue, does a different wireless card work?
Maybe you can borrow your roommate's and temporarily install it. I'd
uninstall your Linksys first. If her card works when properly installed
in your machine, you know your Linksys is defective and should be
returned.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

The Linksys website is chock full of support tips and could be a big help.
If you give us the model numbers of the hardware, including the computer
specs, we might be of assistance. I would begin by uninstalling the wireless
card and reinstalling. Pay special attention to the router info on network
staus and client table.
I went round and round with Linksys on a similar situation, and the best we
ever got was an intermittent connection. In a fit of frustration I
reformatted and reinstalled the (ME) OS and got instant gratification. This
particular Laptop had been repetedly infested with spyware, and there was
probably a connection.

"Cheryl" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP Professional. I have a Linksys router. I can
> connect directly to the router via a cable and access the internet, but the
> Linksys wireless-G card does not work. It cannot associate with the access
> point. My roommate has a different brand of card and hers is working. If I
> look in the device manager it shows that the card itself is functioning
> properly. I also checked and the windows zero configuration service is
> running. I spoke with Linksys support and they said that the problem had
> something to do with the card and the windows zero configuration but they
> told me to contact Microsoft b/c it was beyond the scope of what they could
> do to help me.

There are a few things you can try that might get you going with only minor tweaking. I would strongly urge you to try some of these
steps before going so far as to reformat and/or reinstalling an OS. I've got one of those cards and I know there are several little
things that can stand in your way and seem like bigger problems than they really are.
--
RMC,CPA

"Cheryl" <Cheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9FAACF45-5CDB-45B4-90FB-0925F707110D@microsoft.com...
I am running Windows XP Professional. I have a Linksys router. I can
connect directly to the router via a cable and access the internet, but the
Linksys wireless-G card does not work. It cannot associate with the access
point. My roommate has a different brand of card and hers is working. If I
look in the device manager it shows that the card itself is functioning
properly. I also checked and the windows zero configuration service is
running. I spoke with Linksys support and they said that the problem had
something to do with the card and the windows zero configuration but they
told me to contact Microsoft b/c it was beyond the scope of what they could
do to help me.

rssvces

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
I tried to get my card working over few days without success, then my Son called in , he looked at the linksys setup page , asked my ISP password
entered it ( the other requested question auto entered) and that was it i was online.