new P4C800ED bios 1017 seems slow at POST

alex

Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done, theres
an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed, and then
onto the next stage.

Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
things.

Anyone else noticed the delay?

Alex.

Paul

Splendid

In article <411d60ef$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, "Alex"
<alex@home> wrote:

> Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done, theres
> an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed, and then
> onto the next stage.
>
> Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
> things.
>
> Anyone else noticed the delay?
>

> Alex.

Checking the "More" button on the download page, that could be part
of the fix for detecting Hitachi drives:

"5. Patch Hitachi 400GB HDD can not detect when the
system first power on."

Paul

Alex wrote:

> Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done, theres
> an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed, and then
> onto the next stage.
>
> Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
> things.
>
> Anyone else noticed the delay?
>

> Alex.

If you disable the logo display, you should be able to see what part is
slowing down the boot sequence.

alex

Hmmm.... :(
could be....what a pity.

> In article <411d60ef$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, "Alex"
> <alex@home> wrote:
>
>> Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done,
>> theres
>> an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed, and then
>> onto the next stage.
>>
>> Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
>> things.
>>
>> Anyone else noticed the delay?
>>

>> Alex.
>
> Checking the "More" button on the download page, that could be part
> of the fix for detecting Hitachi drives:
>
> "5. Patch Hitachi 400GB HDD can not detect when the
> system first power on."
>
> Paul

Always have the Logo screen off.

RAM check -------DELAY--------- IDE Drives are listed.etc..

Alex N wrote:
> Always have the Logo screen off.
>
> RAM check -------DELAY--------- IDE Drives are listed.etc..

Like another poster said here are some thing to check:
1) any IDE drive unused, set it to NONE instead of AUTO
2) if you don't have any drive plugged into the Promise controller then
just disable it.
3) if you have any USB smartcard reader (eg. CF/xD/MM/...), the machine
will scan them at boot time to see if they are bootable.
4) reorder your boot device list so that your disk is 1st.

If you are running WindowsXP there is a tool "BootVis" from Microsoft
that allow you to trace and time the boot process (thing that happen
after you see the Microsoft logo).

"Alex N" <alex@home> wrote in message
> Always have the Logo screen off.
>
> RAM check -------DELAY--------- IDE Drives are listed.etc..

Do you have any drives set to "AUTO" in your CMOS settings? Set them to
NONE.

> If you are running WindowsXP there is a tool "BootVis" from Microsoft that
> allow you to trace and time the boot process (thing that happen after you
> see the Microsoft logo).

Your a wanker Minh le,, ,I said during POST... Not during Bootup when
bootvis is of use.
Can You NOT READ? do you have intelligence?

"No6" <no6@thevillage.com> wrote in message
> Folks is just tryin' ta help ya out, Alex. They doesn't have to, and
> prolly won't anymore, cuz you a bit of a prat.

"Folks" who dont read the message, can't help out.

Len

A lack of intelligence I can deal with - an over abundance of arrogance no
way! You ask for assistance and when "folks" do their best to provide it >
SLAM. The intelligent response is *PLONK*, bye.

> "Minh Tran-Le" <tranle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> If you are running WindowsXP there is a tool "BootVis" from Microsoft
>> that allow you to trace and time the boot process (thing that happen
>> after you see the Microsoft logo).
>

> Your a wanker Minh le,, ,I said during POST... Not during Bootup when
> bootvis is of use.
> Can You NOT READ? do you have intelligence?

Yer original post (nicely reproduced below) don't have much info, dear
Alex. And then you choose to abuse those who try to read yer mind ...
And then you justify your actions by blaming it on them ... Though I had
the same problem and figured it out, I be now a bit skeered to respond,
lest I be skewered as well.

You're like, what, 14 years old ???

You be added to my kill file.

-6
Dear Alex's orig post:

Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done,
theres an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed,
and then onto the next stage.

Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
things.

Anyone else noticed the delay?

Alex.

"Alex N" <alex@home> wrote in news:411ef644$1_1@mk-nntp-
2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

> Yer original post (nicely reproduced below) don't have much info, dear
> Alex. And then you choose to abuse those who try to read yer mind ...
> And then you justify your actions by blaming it on them ... Though I

As much as he was a jerk, his original post only asked if anyone else
noticed the delay. My assumption (and you know what that means) is that if
I had noticed the delay, was there anything I did to fix it.

Alex wrote:
> Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done, theres
> an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed, and then
> onto the next stage.
>
> Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
> things.
>
> Anyone else noticed the delay?
>

> Alex.

OMG, a /5/ second delay?

Thats like complaining that the champagne in first class is not as
chilled as it could be.

What USB peripherals do you have plugged in at boot?

Paul provided the possbile reason, noone else got the thread really.
Len, noozer, no6 may a plauge of locusts descend upon your homes.

Adios.

"Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A lack of intelligence I can deal with - an over abundance of arrogance no
>way! You ask for assistance and when "folks" do their best to provide it >
>SLAM. The intelligent response is *PLONK*, bye.

Dear Kitty,

Im a bit of a perfectionist. I tried unplugging the only USB device i use (a
Joystick), still got the

DRAM check -------INORDINATELY LONG DELAY------- IDE/SATA Drives are
listed.etc

My BIOS settings are all optimised for my quite simple system (Raid
controller off, no ethernet off , no Card readers, unused drives Off. maybe
going to try the 1016 again, to see if it returns to its faster state.

Alex N wrote:
> Dear Kitty,
>
> Im a bit of a perfectionist. I tried unplugging the only USB device i use (a
> Joystick), still got the
>
> DRAM check -------INORDINATELY LONG DELAY------- IDE/SATA Drives are
> listed.etc
>
> My BIOS settings are all optimised for my quite simple system (Raid
> controller off, no ethernet off , no Card readers, unused drives Off. maybe
> going to try the 1016 again, to see if it returns to its faster state.

So the hang is after the RAM check, /before/ IDE detection? or After?
sometimes you may have to check the IDE delay, some drives are a tad
slow spinning up some times, how much ram & which speed ?& which slots?

like, in mine I have 2x512MB PC3200 Kingston, in 1/3 for dual channel,
are you running 1/2 or 1/3 ?

I found it took longer to boot once when I stuck 2 more sticks of 512
in, it still addressed it at ddr400 dual channel, but seemed to hang a
bit on the boot cycle.

(hehe, toss in 1G sticks, and you get either 2G at ddr400 or 4g at ddr333)

Also, are you setting via spd? or do you manually run your RAM timings
and speeds?

alex

> So the hang is after the RAM check, /before/ IDE detection? or After?
> sometimes you may have to check the IDE delay, some drives are a tad slow
> spinning up some times, how much ram & which speed ?& which slots?
>
> like, in mine I have 2x512MB PC3200 Kingston, in 1/3 for dual channel, are
> you running 1/2 or 1/3 ?
>
> I found it took longer to boot once when I stuck 2 more sticks of 512 in,
> it still addressed it at ddr400 dual channel, but seemed to hang a bit on
> the boot cycle.
>
> (hehe, toss in 1G sticks, and you get either 2G at ddr400 or 4g at ddr333)
>
> Also, are you setting via spd? or do you manually run your RAM timings and
> speeds?

Tried both SPD and Manual timings.

You know what, Im sticking with it. Ive added my own LogoScreen to admire
during the few seconds.

Can't be bothered going back to 1016.

Whats this about memory running only at 1/3? you have me worried.
I have 4x256 Mb Geil Goldren Dragon PC3200 2-3-3-6.

Alex.

Alex wrote:
> "Philip Callan" <callanca@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>

>>So the hang is after the RAM check, /before/ IDE detection? or After?
>>sometimes you may have to check the IDE delay, some drives are a tad slow
>>spinning up some times, how much ram & which speed ?& which slots?
>>
>>like, in mine I have 2x512MB PC3200 Kingston, in 1/3 for dual channel, are
>>you running 1/2 or 1/3 ?
>>
>>I found it took longer to boot once when I stuck 2 more sticks of 512 in,
>>it still addressed it at ddr400 dual channel, but seemed to hang a bit on
>>the boot cycle.
>>
>>(hehe, toss in 1G sticks, and you get either 2G at ddr400 or 4g at ddr333)
>>
>>Also, are you setting via spd? or do you manually run your RAM timings and
>>speeds?
>

> Tried both SPD and Manual timings.
>
> You know what, Im sticking with it. Ive added my own LogoScreen to admire
> during the few seconds.
>
> Can't be bothered going back to 1016.
>
> Whats this about memory running only at 1/3? you have me worried.
> I have 4x256 Mb Geil Goldren Dragon PC3200 2-3-3-6.
>
> Alex.

Slots 1/3 (or 0/2) whichever :)

alex

PHEW , sigh of relief. I thought it was about memory speed ratio or
somethingm.