new P4C800ED bios 1017 seems slow at POST

Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done, theres
an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed, and then
onto the next stage.

Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
things.

Anyone else noticed the delay?

Alex.
18 answers Last reply
More about p4c800ed bios 1017 slow post

    In article <411d60ef$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, "Alex"
    <alex@home> wrote:

    > Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done, theres
    > an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed, and then
    > onto the next stage.
    >
    > Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
    > things.
    >
    > Anyone else noticed the delay?
    >

    > Alex.

    Checking the "More" button on the download page, that could be part
    of the fix for detecting Hitachi drives:

    "5. Patch Hitachi 400GB HDD can not detect when the
    system first power on."

    Paul

    Alex wrote:

    > Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done, theres
    > an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed, and then
    > onto the next stage.
    >
    > Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
    > things.
    >
    > Anyone else noticed the delay?
    >

    > Alex.

    If you disable the logo display, you should be able to see what part is
    slowing down the boot sequence.

    Hmmm.... :(
    could be....what a pity.

    > In article <411d60ef$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, "Alex"
    > <alex@home> wrote:
    >
    >> Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done,
    >> theres
    >> an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed, and then
    >> onto the next stage.
    >>
    >> Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
    >> things.
    >>
    >> Anyone else noticed the delay?
    >>

    >> Alex.
    >
    > Checking the "More" button on the download page, that could be part
    > of the fix for detecting Hitachi drives:
    >
    > "5. Patch Hitachi 400GB HDD can not detect when the
    > system first power on."
    >
    > Paul

    Always have the Logo screen off.

    RAM check -------DELAY--------- IDE Drives are listed.etc..

    Alex N wrote:
    > Always have the Logo screen off.
    >
    > RAM check -------DELAY--------- IDE Drives are listed.etc..

    Like another poster said here are some thing to check:
    1) any IDE drive unused, set it to NONE instead of AUTO
    2) if you don't have any drive plugged into the Promise controller then
    just disable it.
    3) if you have any USB smartcard reader (eg. CF/xD/MM/...), the machine
    will scan them at boot time to see if they are bootable.
    4) reorder your boot device list so that your disk is 1st.

    If you are running WindowsXP there is a tool "BootVis" from Microsoft
    that allow you to trace and time the boot process (thing that happen
    after you see the Microsoft logo).

    "Alex N" <alex@home> wrote in message
    > Always have the Logo screen off.
    >
    > RAM check -------DELAY--------- IDE Drives are listed.etc..

    Do you have any drives set to "AUTO" in your CMOS settings? Set them to
    NONE.

    > If you are running WindowsXP there is a tool "BootVis" from Microsoft that
    > allow you to trace and time the boot process (thing that happen after you
    > see the Microsoft logo).

    Your a wanker Minh le,, ,I said during POST... Not during Bootup when
    bootvis is of use.
    Can You NOT READ? do you have intelligence?

    "No6" <no6@thevillage.com> wrote in message
    > Folks is just tryin' ta help ya out, Alex. They doesn't have to, and
    > prolly won't anymore, cuz you a bit of a prat.

    "Folks" who dont read the message, can't help out.

    A lack of intelligence I can deal with - an over abundance of arrogance no
    way! You ask for assistance and when "folks" do their best to provide it >
    SLAM. The intelligent response is *PLONK*, bye.

    > "Minh Tran-Le" <tranle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> If you are running WindowsXP there is a tool "BootVis" from Microsoft
    >> that allow you to trace and time the boot process (thing that happen
    >> after you see the Microsoft logo).
    >

    > Your a wanker Minh le,, ,I said during POST... Not during Bootup when
    > bootvis is of use.
    > Can You NOT READ? do you have intelligence?

    Yer original post (nicely reproduced below) don't have much info, dear
    Alex. And then you choose to abuse those who try to read yer mind ...
    And then you justify your actions by blaming it on them ... Though I had
    the same problem and figured it out, I be now a bit skeered to respond,
    lest I be skewered as well.

    You're like, what, 14 years old ???

    You be added to my kill file.

    -6
    Dear Alex's orig post:

    Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done,
    theres an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed,
    and then onto the next stage.

    Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
    things.

    Anyone else noticed the delay?

    Alex.

    "Alex N" <alex@home> wrote in news:411ef644$1_1@mk-nntp-
    2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

    > Yer original post (nicely reproduced below) don't have much info, dear
    > Alex. And then you choose to abuse those who try to read yer mind ...
    > And then you justify your actions by blaming it on them ... Though I

    As much as he was a jerk, his original post only asked if anyone else
    noticed the delay. My assumption (and you know what that means) is that if
    I had noticed the delay, was there anything I did to fix it.

    Alex wrote:
    > Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done, theres
    > an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed, and then
    > onto the next stage.
    >
    > Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
    > things.
    >
    > Anyone else noticed the delay?
    >

    > Alex.

    OMG, a /5/ second delay?

    Thats like complaining that the champagne in first class is not as
    chilled as it could be.

    What USB peripherals do you have plugged in at boot?

    Paul provided the possbile reason, noone else got the thread really.
    Len, noozer, no6 may a plauge of locusts descend upon your homes.

    Adios.

    "Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >A lack of intelligence I can deal with - an over abundance of arrogance no
    >way! You ask for assistance and when "folks" do their best to provide it >
    >SLAM. The intelligent response is *PLONK*, bye.

    Dear Kitty,

    Im a bit of a perfectionist. I tried unplugging the only USB device i use (a
    Joystick), still got the

    DRAM check -------INORDINATELY LONG DELAY------- IDE/SATA Drives are
    listed.etc

    My BIOS settings are all optimised for my quite simple system (Raid
    controller off, no ethernet off , no Card readers, unused drives Off. maybe
    going to try the 1016 again, to see if it returns to its faster state.

    "Philip Callan" <callanca@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Alex wrote:
    >> Flashed from 1016 to 1017. Cleared CMOS. After the RAM check is done,
    >> theres an approx. 5 second delay whilst the drives are detected/listed,
    >> and then onto the next stage.
    >>
    >> Tried changing various values in BIOS, especially the drives and other
    >> things.
    >>
    >> Anyone else noticed the delay?
    >>

    >> Alex.
    >
    > OMG, a /5/ second delay?
    >
    > Thats like complaining that the champagne in first class is not as chilled
    > as it could be.
    >
    > What USB peripherals do you have plugged in at boot?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Alex N wrote:
    > Dear Kitty,
    >
    > Im a bit of a perfectionist. I tried unplugging the only USB device i use (a
    > Joystick), still got the
    >
    > DRAM check -------INORDINATELY LONG DELAY------- IDE/SATA Drives are
    > listed.etc
    >
    > My BIOS settings are all optimised for my quite simple system (Raid
    > controller off, no ethernet off , no Card readers, unused drives Off. maybe
    > going to try the 1016 again, to see if it returns to its faster state.

    So the hang is after the RAM check, /before/ IDE detection? or After?
    sometimes you may have to check the IDE delay, some drives are a tad
    slow spinning up some times, how much ram & which speed ?& which slots?

    like, in mine I have 2x512MB PC3200 Kingston, in 1/3 for dual channel,
    are you running 1/2 or 1/3 ?

    I found it took longer to boot once when I stuck 2 more sticks of 512
    in, it still addressed it at ddr400 dual channel, but seemed to hang a
    bit on the boot cycle.

    (hehe, toss in 1G sticks, and you get either 2G at ddr400 or 4g at ddr333)

    Also, are you setting via spd? or do you manually run your RAM timings
    and speeds?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > So the hang is after the RAM check, /before/ IDE detection? or After?
    > sometimes you may have to check the IDE delay, some drives are a tad slow
    > spinning up some times, how much ram & which speed ?& which slots?
    >
    > like, in mine I have 2x512MB PC3200 Kingston, in 1/3 for dual channel, are
    > you running 1/2 or 1/3 ?
    >
    > I found it took longer to boot once when I stuck 2 more sticks of 512 in,
    > it still addressed it at ddr400 dual channel, but seemed to hang a bit on
    > the boot cycle.
    >
    > (hehe, toss in 1G sticks, and you get either 2G at ddr400 or 4g at ddr333)
    >
    > Also, are you setting via spd? or do you manually run your RAM timings and
    > speeds?

    Tried both SPD and Manual timings.

    You know what, Im sticking with it. Ive added my own LogoScreen to admire
    during the few seconds.

    Can't be bothered going back to 1016.

    Whats this about memory running only at 1/3? you have me worried.
    I have 4x256 Mb Geil Goldren Dragon PC3200 2-3-3-6.

    Alex.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Alex wrote:
    > "Philip Callan" <callanca@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >

    >>So the hang is after the RAM check, /before/ IDE detection? or After?
    >>sometimes you may have to check the IDE delay, some drives are a tad slow
    >>spinning up some times, how much ram & which speed ?& which slots?
    >>
    >>like, in mine I have 2x512MB PC3200 Kingston, in 1/3 for dual channel, are
    >>you running 1/2 or 1/3 ?
    >>
    >>I found it took longer to boot once when I stuck 2 more sticks of 512 in,
    >>it still addressed it at ddr400 dual channel, but seemed to hang a bit on
    >>the boot cycle.
    >>
    >>(hehe, toss in 1G sticks, and you get either 2G at ddr400 or 4g at ddr333)
    >>
    >>Also, are you setting via spd? or do you manually run your RAM timings and
    >>speeds?
    >

    > Tried both SPD and Manual timings.
    >
    > You know what, Im sticking with it. Ive added my own LogoScreen to admire
    > during the few seconds.
    >
    > Can't be bothered going back to 1016.
    >
    > Whats this about memory running only at 1/3? you have me worried.
    > I have 4x256 Mb Geil Goldren Dragon PC3200 2-3-3-6.
    >
    > Alex.

    Slots 1/3 (or 0/2) whichever :)
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    PHEW , sigh of relief. I thought it was about memory speed ratio or
    somethingm.

    > Alex wrote:
    >> "Philip Callan" <callanca@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>So the hang is after the RAM check, /before/ IDE detection? or After?
    >>>sometimes you may have to check the IDE delay, some drives are a tad slow
    >>>spinning up some times, how much ram & which speed ?& which slots?
    >>>
    >>>like, in mine I have 2x512MB PC3200 Kingston, in 1/3 for dual channel,
    >>>are you running 1/2 or 1/3 ?
    >>>
    >>>I found it took longer to boot once when I stuck 2 more sticks of 512 in,
    >>>it still addressed it at ddr400 dual channel, but seemed to hang a bit on
    >>>the boot cycle.
    >>>
    >>>(hehe, toss in 1G sticks, and you get either 2G at ddr400 or 4g at
    >>>ddr333)
    >>>
    >>>Also, are you setting via spd? or do you manually run your RAM timings
    >>>and speeds?
    >>

    >> Tried both SPD and Manual timings.
    >>
    >> You know what, Im sticking with it. Ive added my own LogoScreen to admire
    >> during the few seconds.
    >>
    >> Can't be bothered going back to 1016.
    >>
    >> Whats this about memory running only at 1/3? you have me worried.
    >> I have 4x256 Mb Geil Goldren Dragon PC3200 2-3-3-6.
    >>
    >> Alex.
    > Slots 1/3 (or 0/2) whichever :)

Asus BIOS Motherboards