Won't start from standby or hibernate

Hi, I hope this is the right forum for this question.

My comp with XP SP 1 won't start from hibernating or standby. It used to
be that it would just hang on the "Preparing to standby/hibernate"
stage, but after I downgraded my video driver (I'm using an MSI GeForce2
card) it does enter standby and hibernate mode.

When I try to start from standby, the fans and disk spin up again, but
the screen remains blank, and the computer does not seem to responde to
anything I do (except for powering off by keeping the power button
depressed).

When I try to start from hibernate, the computer boots and Windows goes
through the "Resuming Windows" screen. After that, nothing more happens,
except that the HDD LED is constantly lit, but I can hear no activity
from the HDD.

I have an Abit nForce2 motherboard and a single SATA HDD. The ACPI
suspend type in BIOS is set to S1.

Any ideas of what to try?

Thanks,
martin

Jonathan

ahh.. I've got a GeForce 2 (coincedance eh :p)and it used to do that until I updated the drivers.. try the vendor's site and upgrade it.. hope this helps.. thx for reading..
-Jonathan

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:16:37 GMT, Martin Magnusson
<martin@-xx-blecket-xx-.org> wrote:

>Hi, I hope this is the right forum for this question.
>
>My comp with XP SP 1 won't start from hibernating or standby. It used to
>be that it would just hang on the "Preparing to standby/hibernate"
>stage, but after I downgraded my video driver (I'm using an MSI GeForce2
>card) it does enter standby and hibernate mode.
>
>When I try to start from standby, the fans and disk spin up again, but
>the screen remains blank, and the computer does not seem to responde to
>anything I do (except for powering off by keeping the power button
>depressed).
>
>When I try to start from hibernate, the computer boots and Windows goes
>through the "Resuming Windows" screen. After that, nothing more happens,
>except that the HDD LED is constantly lit, but I can hear no activity
>from the HDD.
>
>I have an Abit nForce2 motherboard and a single SATA HDD. The ACPI
>suspend type in BIOS is set to S1.
>
>Any ideas of what to try?

Its a problem with the Geforce 2 driver, until its fixed, it just
switch off the PC until an update appears to fix it....

Peter Hutchison