Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and OAKCDROM.SYS driver don't agree

I have two CD drives on my system. One is a Samsung CD-RW and the other a Pioneer DVD+/-RW

When booting using the Windows 98 Emergency Disk with CDROM support the ATAPI CDROM driver
OAKCDROM.SYS hangs.

This driver is also used to on my Windows XP Restore Disks so I cannot reinstall Windows XP - it
hangs when OAKCDROM.SYS loads.

I have tried every combination of Master / Slave / Cable Select / BIOS settings to connect the CD
drives but still OAKCDROM.SYS hangs. I have tried disconnecting each one in turn with no luck. I
have tried the v1008 BIOS and now the v1012 BIOS with no luck.

The drives work fine in Windows XP and 98SE with no problems at all.

When using these drives with an MSI motherboard I had no problems with OAKCDROM.SYS loading from
the Win 98 emergency disk and the XP System disks so I am confident that the CD drives themselves
are OK.

The revision number on my motherboard is REV 1.01

Any help would be appreciated!

Bill

"blasterbill" <bill@invalid.com> wrote in message
> I have two CD drives on my system. One is a Samsung CD-RW and the other a
Pioneer DVD+/-RW

> When booting using the Windows 98 Emergency Disk with CDROM support the
ATAPI CDROM driver
> OAKCDROM.SYS hangs.
>
> This driver is also used to on my Windows XP Restore Disks so I cannot
reinstall Windows XP - it
> hangs when OAKCDROM.SYS loads.
>
> I have tried every combination of Master / Slave / Cable Select / BIOS
settings to connect the CD
> drives but still OAKCDROM.SYS hangs. I have tried disconnecting each one
in turn with no luck. I
> have tried the v1008 BIOS and now the v1012 BIOS with no luck.
>
> The drives work fine in Windows XP and 98SE with no problems at all.
>
> When using these drives with an MSI motherboard I had no problems with
OAKCDROM.SYS loading from
> the Win 98 emergency disk and the XP System disks so I am confident that
the CD drives themselves
> are OK.
>
> The revision number on my motherboard is REV 1.01
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Bill

Does the dvd also read cd's? If so, install OS w/Oak disconnected.
After OS is up & running, connect the Oak. properly--using no driver--and
start your comp. & let XP find & install the Oak. cd-rom using its own
driver.

"blasterbill" <bill@invalid.com> wrote in message
> I have two CD drives on my system. One is a Samsung CD-RW and the other a
Pioneer DVD+/-RW

> When booting using the Windows 98 Emergency Disk with CDROM support the
ATAPI CDROM driver
> OAKCDROM.SYS hangs.
>
> This driver is also used to on my Windows XP Restore Disks so I cannot
reinstall Windows XP - it
> hangs when OAKCDROM.SYS loads.
>
> I have tried every combination of Master / Slave / Cable Select / BIOS
settings to connect the CD
> drives but still OAKCDROM.SYS hangs. I have tried disconnecting each one
in turn with no luck. I
> have tried the v1008 BIOS and now the v1012 BIOS with no luck.
>
> The drives work fine in Windows XP and 98SE with no problems at all.
>
> When using these drives with an MSI motherboard I had no problems with
OAKCDROM.SYS loading from
> the Win 98 emergency disk and the XP System disks so I am confident that
the CD drives themselves
> are OK.
>
> The revision number on my motherboard is REV 1.01
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Bill

One more thing: are u using a legit copy of Win XP? If so, you may
simply need to place a call to MS & convince them that this is the correct
computer for this version of Win XP, they'll give u a new number to use, &
all should install happily. HTH & good luck, s

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 05:01:58 -0400, "sdlomi2" <sdlomi2spamfree@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"blasterbill" <bill@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> I have two CD drives on my system. One is a Samsung CD-RW and the other a
>Pioneer DVD+/-RW

> Does the dvd also read cd's? If so, install OS w/Oak disconnected.
>After OS is up & running, connect the Oak. properly--using no driver--and
>start your comp. & let XP find & install the Oak. cd-rom using its own
>driver.

There is no Oak CDROM. The OAKCDROM.SYS driver is a generic DOS driver to allow access to CD
drives in DOS mode.

The problem is that no files can be read off either of the CD drives without the OAKCDROM.SYS DOS
driver loaded. I cannot reinstall my copy of Windows XP as it needs OAKCDROM.SYS loaded to read
all the setup files off the CDROMs.

I am currently running a friends copy of Win XP as his setup disk boots and runs in the CD drive
and doesn't need OAKCDROM.SYS to get at the files.

My copy of XP ( system restore ) will boot in either drive but tries to load the OAKCDROM.SYS
driver to get at the files so the install routine goes no further.

Can anyone with a WIN 98 Emergency Boot Disk please boot from it ( select CD ROM Support ) and
tell me if their PC loads the OAKCDROM.SYS driver without hanging?

Bill