microphone

I bought a microphone and it didn't seem to work correctly
on my computer. I tried it on 2 other computers and it
worked correctly. In mine, I checked all the settings and
they all seem ok. When I went into panel control, audio
and sounds, voice, test hardware, it made an error
saying : "An error as occured during the installation of
DirectPlay Voice". I click ok and it tells me : "Windows
cannot execute DpvSetup.exe, use add/delete programs for
the installation". (both those error message are rough
translations since my Windows is in french). I went there
but didn't know what to do...
So, now I'm not exactly sure if this is a hardware problem
(my sound card maybe) or software... In order to hear
anything when I use the mic, I need to scream in it, yet I
set the mic volume to the maximum in Windows.
3 answers Last reply
More about microphone

    I just found something about that after searching a bit
    more on the microsoft website and here's what it says :
    "This problem generally occurs only the first time that
    you run the test. If this problem continues to occur after
    the first attempt, follow these steps:
    In Control Panel, double-click Sounds and Audio Devices.
    On the Voice tab, under Voice Playback, click Advanced.
    On the Performance tab, move the Hardware Acceleration
    slider at least one position to the right."
    I tried that, but I'm not sure what voice playback
    translates to in french... There are two "advanced"
    button, when I click on the first one, there IS
    a "hardware acceleration" slider, but it's already
    completely to the right. I cannot click on the other
    advanced button (the second one in that window) since it
    is shadowed....

    DarkSun, I am also having trouble with the DVPsetup.exe error with my mic..
    please let me know if you received any helpful information, any help would be
    appreciated.
    Thank you
    shykitty

    "DarkSun" wrote:

    > I bought a microphone and it didn't seem to work correctly
    > on my computer. I tried it on 2 other computers and it
    > worked correctly. In mine, I checked all the settings and
    > they all seem ok. When I went into panel control, audio
    > and sounds, voice, test hardware, it made an error
    > saying : "An error as occured during the installation of
    > DirectPlay Voice". I click ok and it tells me : "Windows
    > cannot execute DpvSetup.exe, use add/delete programs for
    > the installation". (both those error message are rough
    > translations since my Windows is in french). I went there
    > but didn't know what to do...
    > So, now I'm not exactly sure if this is a hardware problem
    > (my sound card maybe) or software... In order to hear
    > anything when I use the mic, I need to scream in it, yet I
    > set the mic volume to the maximum in Windows.

    I hope this helps.....be careful.

    Hi,

    I've searched high and low from microsoft to mcafee's
    suggestions...the problem lies in the registry (in my case). I was
    getting this same error. Also, my event sounds like windows startup,
    email, etc sounds were not working either. As it turns out, I had a
    similar PC at work and export these two keys to register the MIDI and
    default Windows files in order for it to work again. It worked like a
    charm. I also had an issue with the windows recorder not
    working...again...this import fixed it.

    NOTE: My work PC is a win2k Pro and my home PC is a WinXP Home
    Edition. Importing these keys using the win2k reg file should not
    cause problems but you should always backup your registry. Also, some
    rules to know:

    1. If the source file (SF) has keys that exist in the destination
    registry (DR), the destination registry will be overwritten with the
    new value.
    2. If the SF does not have a key that is listed in the DR, the DR
    entries will be retained (i.e. not deleted).
    3. If the SF has keys that do NOT exist in the DR, it will be added to
    the DR.

    Here are the 2 keys:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]

    and

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\drivers.desc]

    "shykitty" <shykitty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<758EDCA8-210D-487A-BCB6-6FF4723D6D76@microsoft.com>...
    > DarkSun, I am also having trouble with the DVPsetup.exe error with my mic..
    > please let me know if you received any helpful information, any help would be
    > appreciated.
    > Thank you
    > shykitty
    >
    > "DarkSun" wrote:
    >
    > > I bought a microphone and it didn't seem to work correctly
    > > on my computer. I tried it on 2 other computers and it
    > > worked correctly. In mine, I checked all the settings and
    > > they all seem ok. When I went into panel control, audio
    > > and sounds, voice, test hardware, it made an error
    > > saying : "An error as occured during the installation of
    > > DirectPlay Voice". I click ok and it tells me : "Windows
    > > cannot execute DpvSetup.exe, use add/delete programs for
    > > the installation". (both those error message are rough
    > > translations since my Windows is in french). I went there
    > > but didn't know what to do...
    > > So, now I'm not exactly sure if this is a hardware problem
    > > (my sound card maybe) or software... In order to hear
    > > anything when I use the mic, I need to scream in it, yet I
    > > set the mic volume to the maximum in Windows.

Hardware Microphone Windows XP