Crivins! CS Source a $500 odyssey

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 29, 2005 5:59:26 PM

So after weeks of arm twisting my server co-owner gets me to download
CS Source so we can migrate our server over. Fifty bucks and that's
done. Oh heck, needs DirectX 9 and my once hot video card only
supports DirectX 6. 250 bucks later I'm installing a new GeForce 6600.
Game crashes on loading 80% of the time, then when I load the very
latest NVIDIA drivers my monitor starts shutting off when Windows
loads. Look at the box for my spiff new card and realize my power
source in inadequate. Got 300W, need 350W. 89 bucks later plus
another 100 for another 512k stick of memory, I'm putting in a 400W
supply. Still having trouble with the monitor, so I update my BIOS
software which was the first free thing I got.

So $500 bucks and several evenings worth of hardware changing, driver
shuffling and head scratching and I've finally got CS Source running
like a dream.

I better love this friggin game....

- - - - +[NMF]+ Wee Daft Wheelo

Visit our server, home of the Nac Mac Feegle Clan
The Nac Mac Feegle
(also called Pictsies, The Wee Free Men, The Little Men, and
"Person or Persons Unknown, Believed to be Armed")

The Nac Mac Feegle are the most dangerous of the fairy races,
particularly when drunk. They love drinking, fighting, and stealing,
and will in fact steal anything that is not nailed down. If it is
nailed down, they will steal the nails as well.

Nevertheless, those who have managed to get to know them and survive
say that they are also amazingly loyal, strong, dogged, brave, and, in
their own way, quite moral. (For example, they won't steal from
people who don't have anything.)

The average Feegle man (Feegle women are rare-see later) is about six
inches high, red haired, his skin turned blue with tattoos and the dye
called woad, and, since you're this close, he's probably about to
hit you.

He'll wear a kilt made of any old material, because among the Feegles
the clan allegiance is shown by the tattoos. He may wear a rabbit-skull
helmet, and a Feegle often decorates his beard and hair with feathers,
beads, and anything else that takes his fancy. He will almost certainly
carry a sword, although it is mainly for show, the Feegles' preferred
method of fighting being with the boot and the head.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:17:10 AM

"Eric" <bibo@transbay.net> wrote in message
> I better love this friggin game....

I doubt it, the whole world seems to have gone BF2 nuts, me included. CS:S just
seems old and boring now.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:17:11 AM

BF2 has brilliant gameplay, but everything outside of that needs some
serious patching and work.

--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

"Shinnokxz" <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote in message
> BF2 has brilliant gameplay, but everything outside of that needs some serious
> patching and work.

Sounds like CS:S :D
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 3:06:44 PM

What is the server ip , will be happy to add it to favz. As for all that
spending ,you would have had done better to go to www.tigerdirect.com and
bought yourself a good barebone. I think you will enjoy the game,
nevertheless. Personally I purchased a new highend dell because of hl2 ,
and source series.
-+RES+-
"Eric" <bibo@transbay.net> wrote in message
> So after weeks of arm twisting my server co-owner gets me to download
> CS Source so we can migrate our server over. Fifty bucks and that's
> done. Oh heck, needs DirectX 9 and my once hot video card only
> supports DirectX 6. 250 bucks later I'm installing a new GeForce 6600.
> Game crashes on loading 80% of the time, then when I load the very
> latest NVIDIA drivers my monitor starts shutting off when Windows
> loads. Look at the box for my spiff new card and realize my power
> source in inadequate. Got 300W, need 350W. 89 bucks later plus
> another 100 for another 512k stick of memory, I'm putting in a 400W
> supply. Still having trouble with the monitor, so I update my BIOS
> software which was the first free thing I got.
>
> So $500 bucks and several evenings worth of hardware changing, driver
> shuffling and head scratching and I've finally got CS Source running
> like a dream.
>
> I better love this friggin game....
>
> - - - - +[NMF]+ Wee Daft Wheelo
>
> Visit our server, home of the Nac Mac Feegle Clan
> The Nac Mac Feegle
> (also called Pictsies, The Wee Free Men, The Little Men, and
> "Person or Persons Unknown, Believed to be Armed")
>
> The Nac Mac Feegle are the most dangerous of the fairy races,
> particularly when drunk. They love drinking, fighting, and stealing,
> and will in fact steal anything that is not nailed down. If it is
> nailed down, they will steal the nails as well.
>
> Nevertheless, those who have managed to get to know them and survive
> say that they are also amazingly loyal, strong, dogged, brave, and, in
> their own way, quite moral. (For example, they won't steal from
> people who don't have anything.)
>
> The average Feegle man (Feegle women are rare-see later) is about six
> inches high, red haired, his skin turned blue with tattoos and the dye
> called woad, and, since you're this close, he's probably about to
> hit you.
>
> He'll wear a kilt made of any old material, because among the Feegles
> the clan allegiance is shown by the tattoos. He may wear a rabbit-skull
> helmet, and a Feegle often decorates his beard and hair with feathers,
> beads, and anything else that takes his fancy. He will almost certainly
> carry a sword, although it is mainly for show, the Feegles' preferred
> method of fighting being with the boot and the head.

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 9:37:06 PM

"William Bird" <birdman@chouteautel.com> wrote in message
news:D clh7g$s3r$1@news.elpaso.net...
> Personally I purchased a new highend dell

So you're the ONE
August 5, 2005 3:37:10 PM

Well, I didn't think I'd be investing in so much stuff otherwise I'd
have done that - though my wife would've been....less than pleased.

We just converted out server over to Source, you will find it at:

216.240.158.63:27025

Our regular clan night is tuesday at 8:30 pst and we're always
recruiting...

- Wee Daft Wheelo
----------------------------------
"When a well-trained gonnagle starts to recite, the enemy's ears
explode."

"Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! Nae master! We willnae be fooled
again!"
August 5, 2005 6:45:15 PM

Yeah, now that I've got all the hardware and software bugs gone, it's
worth it. I dig the intense detail in Source. If you shoot one of the
computers on cs_office it blows apart and the insides are completely
rendered. You can run around an empty map plinking cans and garbage
for practice. You groan and twitch when your head asplodes, and
flashbangs are a real menace now. Getting shot off a high ledge is
actually pretty fun too when you go flying off and land in a pile - the
only thing that could make that better would be to add that awful
ball-contracting breaking-neck sound from Tomb Raider.

and now that I think about it, my computer's probably ready for BF2
should I find some time to play another game.

plus now you can use .jpegs for sprays which is just too cool.

Now if they'll just add more CT and T skins. I miss my old red
headband.

- +[NMF]+ Wee Daft Wheelo
-----------------------------------
"Nac Mac Feegle wha hae!"
"They can tak' oour lives but they cannae tak' oour troousers!"
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 12:57:02 AM

> Well, I didn't think I'd be investing in so much stuff otherwise I'd
> have done that - though my wife would've been....less than pleased.
>
> We just converted out server over to Source, you will find it at:
>
> 216.240.158.63:27025

So, was it worth it?
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 3:54:43 AM

On 5 Aug 2005 14:45:15 -0700, "Eric" <bibo@transbay.net> wrote:

>Yeah, now that I've got all the hardware and software bugs gone, it's
>worth it. I dig the intense detail in Source. If you shoot one of the
>computers on cs_office it blows apart and the insides are completely
>rendered. You can run around an empty map plinking cans and garbage
>for practice. You groan and twitch when your head asplodes, and
>flashbangs are a real menace now. Getting shot off a high ledge is
>actually pretty fun too when you go flying off and land in a pile - the
>only thing that could make that better would be to add that awful
>ball-contracting breaking-neck sound from Tomb Raider.
>
>and now that I think about it, my computer's probably ready for BF2
>should I find some time to play another game.
>
>plus now you can use .jpegs for sprays which is just too cool.
>
>Now if they'll just add more CT and T skins. I miss my old red
>headband.
>
> - +[NMF]+ Wee Daft Wheelo
>-----------------------------------
>"Nac Mac Feegle wha hae!"
>"They can tak' oour lives but they cannae tak' oour troousers!"

you can add 3rd party skins if you like.
they pass vac2 inspection so you won't get banned for using them, as
long as they aren't the single-colour jobs for very old cheats.

dr ratt

trust me.
i know what i'm doing.
!