freeze

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

Hello everyone,

I have an Asus A8V along with an AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 (939) processor.
Further, I have (4) Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 sticks of RAM which I
have tried using in 1GB and 2GB increments. I am using WD 250GB SATA
HDDs running Windows XP Pro in a non-RAID configuration. Lastly, I
have an Asus V9520 Magic video card.

The machine assembled great, and I had no issue until 72 hours later.
Now, it freezes solid at random times. Usually when idle, though it
might happen in any application. Thus far, I have not had the machine
freeze on me outside of Windows, so I suspect some kind of a driver
issue. Swapping the video card and backing off from 2GB to 1GB of
memeory didn't help at all.

I am seriously out of options for how to proceed less swapping the
board and/or processor. If there is anyone out there who has
experienced this and has some idea on what the problem might be, I
would greatly appreciate some advice.

Regards,

Dave

Paul

Splendid

In article <be0f0ea1.0408141340.504850fb@posting.google.com>,
freeze@spamcop.net (Freeze) wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have an Asus A8V along with an AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 (939) processor.
> Further, I have (4) Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 sticks of RAM which I
> have tried using in 1GB and 2GB increments. I am using WD 250GB SATA
> HDDs running Windows XP Pro in a non-RAID configuration. Lastly, I
> have an Asus V9520 Magic video card.
>
> The machine assembled great, and I had no issue until 72 hours later.
> Now, it freezes solid at random times. Usually when idle, though it
> might happen in any application. Thus far, I have not had the machine
> freeze on me outside of Windows, so I suspect some kind of a driver
> issue. Swapping the video card and backing off from 2GB to 1GB of
> memeory didn't help at all.
>
> I am seriously out of options for how to proceed less swapping the
> board and/or processor. If there is anyone out there who has
> experienced this and has some idea on what the problem might be, I
> would greatly appreciate some advice.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

Does anything show in the Event Viewer ?
Do you notice the freeze correlate with the use of a particular
subsystem ? I.e. Does Prime95 freeze it, which puts the video
card off the culprit list ? Does 3DMark in demo mode freeze it
more than sitting in the desktop ? Does opening and closing
Explorer windows do it ? Do the problems stop if Cool & Quiet
is disabled ?

Page 15 of this doc, mentions using 2T command timing for four
sticks of memory. This causes a 1000 point loss in memory
bandwidth, but will make the memory work. Verify memory timing
with CPUZ or some other utility. It is possible the BIOS didn't
do the right thing when four sticks were installed.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/31411.pdf

As Tim suggested, running memtest86 from memtest.org will help
determine whether there is still a memory problem, even with
just two sticks.

If you go here, and search for A8V, the 1006 BIOS lists these
improvements:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/download.aspx

1. Change BIOS setup item style
2. Change AGP aperture size rule
3. Increase some AGP cards stability.

Perhaps item 3 is related to your problem. Too bad
they didn't list the video cards.

HTH,
Paul

It might be the infamous NVIDIA infinite loop bug.
if so, download latest certified Driver from www.nvidia.com

Tim

Try running memtest86 and / or swap out the 1st GB of ram using the other
GB.
Try loading bios defaults and resetting the parameters. Use conservative
memory settings.
Try a clear cmos and repeat the above.

Check PSU ratings and voltages.

- Tim

"Freeze" <freeze@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have an Asus A8V along with an AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 (939) processor.
> Further, I have (4) Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 sticks of RAM which I
> have tried using in 1GB and 2GB increments. I am using WD 250GB SATA
> HDDs running Windows XP Pro in a non-RAID configuration. Lastly, I
> have an Asus V9520 Magic video card.
>
> The machine assembled great, and I had no issue until 72 hours later.
> Now, it freezes solid at random times. Usually when idle, though it
> might happen in any application. Thus far, I have not had the machine
> freeze on me outside of Windows, so I suspect some kind of a driver
> issue. Swapping the video card and backing off from 2GB to 1GB of
> memeory didn't help at all.
>
> I am seriously out of options for how to proceed less swapping the
> board and/or processor. If there is anyone out there who has
> experienced this and has some idea on what the problem might be, I
> would greatly appreciate some advice.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cfmku7$6l9$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> Try running memtest86 and / or swap out the 1st GB of ram using the
> other GB.
> Try loading bios defaults and resetting the parameters. Use
> conservative memory settings.
> Try a clear cmos and repeat the above.
>
> Check PSU ratings and voltages.

Command Rate 2T