firewire card installation problem

stuart

Hi folks:
I purchased a VIA firewire card to use with our new iPod. I'm getting
a code 10 problem on the machine we first installed it in - a Dell P3
400Mhz, with XP pro installed.

We then tried it on our new Dell, 3GHZ with XP pro Home without a
problem. Since I'd really like to have it on our P3, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Stuart

Avoid the VIA 1394 chipset. If you need tech support for
the card, get it from the hardware maker, it isn't a Windows
problem.

On 5 Jun 2004 08:24:05 -0700, stuartlipper@comcast.net (Stuart) wrote:

>Hi folks:
>I purchased a VIA firewire card to use with our new iPod. I'm getting
>a code 10 problem on the machine we first installed it in - a Dell P3
>400Mhz, with XP pro installed.
>
>We then tried it on our new Dell, 3GHZ with XP pro Home without a
>problem. Since I'd really like to have it on our P3, any suggestions?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Stuart

Stuart:

I recently installed this card:

OrangeLink FireWire 800/1394b (1394a + b) PCI card
http://www.orangemicro.com/fw800pci.html

Using the 1394a port to specifically to run this:
1x250GB Maxtor One Touch USB2/fw external Ultra ATA-133 7200RPM HDD

I don't currently have a 1394b device but installed the 1394b
drivers anyway in case I get a b device.

The card and drive run as advertised. No installation nor
performance problems.

One of the reasons I chose this card is that it has a +12V on-card
connector for drawing power directly from the PSU. One doesn't have to
use it but the less power you pull from your PCI slots the better. I
also have 2 ATA-133 HDDs on a controller card and a sound card using
the PCI slots.

Download the manuals from the site if you like.

WinXP HE SP1 full/clean
Asus P4T533-C s478/i850e
P4 2.8GHz/533MHz FSB retail
1GB (4x256MB) OCZ PC1066 RIMMs
etc

Happy trails,

Please remove the X from my address to e-mail me.