Windows ME Temporarily Then Win XP- How?

I just built a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have Windows
XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over, so
I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
Windows XP.

I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if it is
FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?

Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
Is it best to delete the partition first?

I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the CD,
then install, correct?

Thanks,
QZ

"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10hvoucneb54k09@corp.supernews.com...
> I just built a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have
Windows
> XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over,
so
> I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
> Windows XP.
>
> I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if it
is
> FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?
>
> Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
> Is it best to delete the partition first?
>
> I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the CD,
> then install, correct?

Also, it a WD Raptor SATA HDD, if that matters.

Windows ME doesn't support NTFS so go with FAT 32 and switch over when you
install Windows XP
"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10hvoucneb54k09@corp.supernews.com...
> I just built a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have
Windows
> XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over,
so
> I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
> Windows XP.
>
> I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if it
is
> FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?
>
> Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
> Is it best to delete the partition first?
>
> I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the CD,
> then install, correct?
>
> Thanks,
> QZ

ChrisH

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:29:51 -0400, "QZ" <nothing> wrote:

>I just built a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have Windows
>XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over, so
>I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
>Windows XP.
>
>I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if it is
>FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?
>
>Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
>Is it best to delete the partition first?
>
>I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the CD,
>then install, correct?
>
>Thanks,
>QZ

When XP install starts it will show you what's already on the disk,
you can then choose to delete the existing partition. The install
routine will create a new partition, format it, and carry on with the
installation.

ChrisH

ChrisH

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:32:03 -0400, "QZ" <nothing> wrote:

>"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10hvoucneb54k09@corp.supernews.com...
>
>Also, it a WD Raptor SATA HDD, if that matters.

The you'll need to hit F6 and load the SATA driver during the boot
phase.

ender

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 18:29:51 -0400, "QZ" <nothing> wrote:

>I just built a new PC, but things have been delayed and I don't have Windows
>XP yet. I need to test everything before the vendor warranties are over, so
>I am going to have to install Windows ME temporarily, then in few days
>Windows XP.
>
>I have a Win ME boot floppy disk. IIRC, I partition. Does it matter if it is
>FAT32 or NTFS, since it is temp.? Next I format, then install. Correct?
>
>Having an OS on the HDD, how does this change the install of Win XP?
>Is it best to delete the partition first?
>
>I know the Win XP CD is bootable. I then partition and format with the CD,
>then install, correct?
>
>Thanks,
>QZ

You have received some good advice already from the other posters, but
I will throw in my 2 cents as well.

I would partition and format as a FAT32 drive and give Win ME a shot
if you wish. I honestly don't know how ME will treat a SATA drive so
have the motherboard CD handy in case it coughs on it.

When you are ready for XP simply reformat the drive using the WD
utility disk that comes with the RAPTOR. It does this very quickly,
in about a minute or so. Then install XP, takes about 12 minutes on
the RAPTOR, which is a screaming fast drive. You will find that XP
will have no problem seeing the RAPTOR SATA drive without any
additional drivers loaded. Then go ahead and install the necessary
chipset drivers from the motherboard cd. I always stay with FAT32 on
my XP and Win2K installs because I like being able to grab files from
the DOS level in the event that XP or 2K cannot be accessed. To be
honest, it has never happened, but it is comforting to know that data
is very easily accessible if I need it.

Whatever you decide, you will love that WD SATA RAPTOR!

Regards,

Ender

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke