A7V133 and XP2400+

Removed a 900MHz Thunderbird and put in an XP2400.
Running Win98SE with 512MB PC-133 SDram (2-256MB sticks--also tried
using each stick seperately)
Adjusted the FSB to 133 (BIOS method) and it won't boot into
Win98SE.(also tried 138MHz).
Tried setting the FSB to 100MHz and it didn't make any difference
except that the cpu speed was in the 1400MHz range.
The first screen says it is running around 2000 MHz. It doesn't quite
get to the 'starting Windows' line and it just freezes up and the Off
button needs to be pushed (control-alt-del doesn't work). You then
have to turn off the switch on the PSU and turn it back on again to
get it to boot up at all.
CPU temp is around 44C.
It boots into DOS . It will not boot into Safe Mode either. Worked
fine just before shutting down with the old 900.
The BIOS is 1004, could that be the problem?
Tried the Load Defaults and it didn't help.
PSU is a 300w model.
Floppy drive and cd burner were also disconnected to see if it made
any difference. None.
What else to try.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Gonna put the old 900 in and update to the 1009 BIOS.

Buffalo wrote:

> Gonna put the old 900 in and update to the 1009 BIOS.

I don't think that's gonna help. The newest model the a7v133 can handle
is the Palomino, and you've got a Thoroughbred (or Thorton?). And even
with a Palomino, you have to use the DIP switches for CPU speed and
Voltage and cannot use the BIOS for configuration.

Greets,

Jan

"Jan Hladik" <jan.hladik@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Buffalo wrote:
> >
> > Gonna put the old 900 in and update to the 1009 BIOS.
> >
> I don't think that's gonna help. The newest model the a7v133 can
handle
> is the Palomino, and you've got a Thoroughbred (or Thorton?). And
even
> with a Palomino, you have to use the DIP switches for CPU speed and
> Voltage and cannot use the BIOS for configuration.
>
> Greets,
>
> Jan
It is my brother's machine. He found out he also had a PSU problem. He
reinstalled the 900, flashed the BIOS to 1009 and got it working well.
He then installed the new 4000w PSU and made sure everything was
working well.
He installed the XP2400 and it is now running happily at 138MHz FSB at
just over 2 GHz.
He uses the BIOS for configing the FSB and not the jumpers.
Thanks for the input.
PS: It is an A7V133 rev 1.04

Should have read 400w and not 4000w.
Wow, that would really be more than sufficient.
[snip]

> Buffalo wrote:
> He then installed the new 4000w PSU and made sure everything was
> working well.
[snip]