hotfix for a tv tuner card?

Jd

Does anyone happen to know the hotfix that is used to fix
the problem with a computer with hyper threading
technology freezing while trying to watch tv with a tv
tuner card?

Sure thing, buy a real dedicated TV, much better picture and
cheaper too.

"jd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Does anyone happen to know the hotfix that is used to fix
| the problem with a computer with hyper threading
| technology freezing while trying to watch tv with a tv
| tuner card?

Jd

That would defeat the purpose of me doing this. My room
at college next year is very small so if at all possible i
would like to use my computer as a TV. I don't watch that
much TV but I would still like the option. So I still
need to know the microsoft hotfix for the problem with
freezing up on the hyper threaded machines.

Check the card mfg'r website for drivers or buy a better
card, such as the ATI AIW series of gaming/TV cards.

Hyperthreading shouldn't make any difference.

| That would defeat the purpose of me doing this. My room
| at college next year is very small so if at all possible i
| would like to use my computer as a TV. I don't watch that
| much TV but I would still like the option. So I still
| need to know the microsoft hotfix for the problem with
| freezing up on the hyper threaded machines.

Jd

ATI says it isn't their problem. I have seen on a review
of ATI TV Wonder Pro(the card I would probably get) at
newegg.com that a customer had problems with the TV Tuner
program freezing, got a hotfix from microsoft and the card
worked perfectly. I haven't bought the card yet, I am
just trying to do my homework first. I have a Radeon 9800
Pro in the system already, so to be honest I would just
rather get the tuner card instead of spending the $300+ on
the AIW 9800 Pro.

Check with the other customer for the exact hotfix.
Users with identical hardware and issues are the best source for a
solution.
Many hotfixes are very specific and not generally available without
specific circumstances being met.

The manufacturer should at least be able to give you HotFix
identification.
The HotFix will may be very specific to a particular Make and model of
card.

You can search here:
;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto
Search for "ati"
Many will come up, perhaps you can locate your specific issue.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

> ATI says it isn't their problem. I have seen on a review
> of ATI TV Wonder Pro(the card I would probably get) at
> newegg.com that a customer had problems with the TV Tuner
> program freezing, got a hotfix from microsoft and the card
> worked perfectly. I haven't bought the card yet, I am
> just trying to do my homework first. I have a Radeon 9800
> Pro in the system already, so to be honest I would just
> rather get the tuner card instead of spending the $300+ on
> the AIW 9800 Pro.

Jd

unfortunately there wasn't an email address with the
review so I have no way of contacting the other user. The
only thing ATI has on the issue is that it knows about it
and more information is at
us;817589
thanks for the help

JD;
And did you call Microsoft at the number referenced in the article so
you can receive the hotfix.
State you are calling about a hotfix and you will not be asked for
payment information.

--

> unfortunately there wasn't an email address with the
> review so I have no way of contacting the other user. The
> only thing ATI has on the issue is that it knows about it
> and more information is at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
> us;817589
> thanks for the help

Thanks, I didn't know if I would be charged, and do be
honest I really didn't want to be charged, thats why I
turned here for help. Thanks again.

You might look for an external breakout box, Pinnacle System
makes some as do others.

Google search for information on your options.

Good Luck.

"jd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| ATI says it isn't their problem. I have seen on a review
| of ATI TV Wonder Pro(the card I would probably get) at
| newegg.com that a customer had problems with the TV Tuner
| program freezing, got a hotfix from microsoft and the card
| worked perfectly. I haven't bought the card yet, I am
| just trying to do my homework first. I have a Radeon 9800
| Pro in the system already, so to be honest I would just
| rather get the tuner card instead of spending the $300+ on
| the AIW 9800 Pro.

Jd

Thanks for the help

NTSC-J, PAL, and SECAM TV Tuner Hotfix for DirectX 9.0b on Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003
(KB825116)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8dfd1b6d-e177-4a0e-91d0-b4310675b02b&DisplayLang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"jd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| Does anyone happen to know the hotfix that is used to fix
| the problem with a computer with hyper threading
| technology freezing while trying to watch tv with a tv
| tuner card?

You won't be charged. After you've called, they will send you an email with
a link to download the hotfix.
www.coribright.com

> Thanks, I didn't know if I would be charged, and do be
> honest I really didn't want to be charged, thats why I
> turned here for help. Thanks again.

Paul

Splendid

You could try this fix