hard drive making weird sounds..

hello,

when the computer is on,it seems the hard drive is making
a "ZZZZ....ZZZZ......ZZZ..." sound constantly. is this a
sign it is about to crash? any help would be definitely
appreciated! thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about hard drive making weird sounds

    If what you are trying to describe is a "grinding" or "chattering"
    noise, I would say that your harddrive is about to go belly up..
    I would suggest you back up your data, and get a new harddrive
    installed as soon as practible...

    Modern harddrives may have some noises, but grinding and chattering
    are just about universal signs of impending failure.

    ymmv,
    JM

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:13:40 -0700, "Ty"

    >hello,
    >
    >when the computer is on,it seems the hard drive is making
    >a "ZZZZ....ZZZZ......ZZZ..." sound constantly. is this a
    >sign it is about to crash? any help would be definitely
    >appreciated! thanks

    A sure sign that there is an impending failure is if it fails to bootup cleanly: instead performing a chkdsk.

    It is a worthy precaution to buy something like Norton Ghost and a new hard drive: using Ghost do a 'Backup' of your entire hard drive [if you have any partitioning, then perform this for each one]. Make sure you have one partition more on the new HDD than you have on the old.

    Make sure you partition the new HDD and that your backups are in the last partition.

    That way when your drive fails you can restore to the new HDD in the unused partition which will correspond to the C / D drive.

    1) Without taking the cover off of the computer while
    running it, and listening carefully, one would be hard
    pressed to correctly identify the source of the noise.
    Did you do this ?

    2) The noise is probably coming from a fan that
    is "struggling" a bit - power supply, CPU, video, case -
    these parts fail 1st (usually) because they are
    inexpensive parts and they are mechanical.

    Good Luck !

    >when the computer is on,it seems the hard drive is making
    >a "ZZZZ....ZZZZ......ZZZ..." sound constantly. is this a
    >sign it is about to crash? any help would be definitely
    >appreciated! thanks
    >.

    Backup now. Buy a new drive and install it pretty soon.

    Or it might be just snoring.

    "Ty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | hello,
    |
    | when the computer is on,it seems the hard drive is making
    | a "ZZZZ....ZZZZ......ZZZ..." sound constantly. is this a
    | sign it is about to crash? any help would be definitely
    | appreciated! thanks

    uh oh..yea a few times when i unplug one IDE cable and
    power source from one hard drive to the other, my
    computer would always perform a checkdisk and it would be
    extremely slow too. guess i need a new drive...thanks
    for the replies

Hardware Computers Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP