How to save drivers before formating HD

How can I save the drivers (Network, Video, Modem, Sound etc) of my computer
running Windows 98 SE prior to formatting my hard drive and re-install such
drivers later?
I do not want to visit 4 or 5 websites to download them all.
There is a way I can save a folder containing such drivers to be
re-installed later after formatting my Hard Drive?
Thanks newsgroup users
4 answers Last reply
More about save drivers formating

    There is no way you can just copy the drivers from your computer and install
    them later. There are temporary files that are used for installation and
    then deleted after installation. You won't have them.

    LOL, JAX

    "Hjalmar Leon" <hleon@sprynet.com> wrote in message
    > How can I save the drivers (Network, Video, Modem, Sound etc) of my
    computer
    > running Windows 98 SE prior to formatting my hard drive and re-install
    such
    > drivers later?
    > I do not want to visit 4 or 5 websites to download them all.
    > There is a way I can save a folder containing such drivers to be
    > re-installed later after formatting my Hard Drive?
    > Thanks newsgroup users

    The W98 drivers will need to be replaced by XP drivers, in
    most case they will be on the XP CD. If your computer is
    very special, a laptop or has some rare component, you might
    need to get special drivers.
    But before installing XP from the CD, run the upgrade test
    which is on the CD, to check for hardware compatibility. It
    is also a good idea to remove hardware that is not required
    for basic computer operation while installing XP. Once XP
    has identified the mobo, CPU and video, you can reinstall
    the other cards and devices one at a time. This helps
    prevent the install hanging while it is trying to find some
    driver. It also makes it easier to know what isn't working
    properly.

    see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941

    "Hjalmar Leon" <hleon@sprynet.com> wrote in message
    | How can I save the drivers (Network, Video, Modem, Sound
    etc) of my computer
    | running Windows 98 SE prior to formatting my hard drive
    and re-install such
    | drivers later?
    | I do not want to visit 4 or 5 websites to download them
    all.
    | There is a way I can save a folder containing such drivers
    to be
    | re-installed later after formatting my Hard Drive?
    | Thanks newsgroup users

    "Hjalmar Leon" <hleon@sprynet.com> wrote in message
    | How can I save the drivers (Network, Video, Modem, Sound etc) of my
    computer
    | running Windows 98 SE prior to formatting my hard drive and re-install
    such
    | drivers later?
    | I do not want to visit 4 or 5 websites to download them all.
    | There is a way I can save a folder containing such drivers to be
    | re-installed later after formatting my Hard Drive?
    | Thanks newsgroup users

    DriverGuide toolkit (formerly WindriversBackup) will back up your drivers
    for later reinstallation.

    http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/

    It looks like they have added some functionality and are charging for it
    now.

    I have the older version who's EULA lists it as freely distributable
    freeware. I'd be happy to mail it to you if you let me know where. (106KB
    zipped) It may also be available online somewhere.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    If you are going to use XP, you won't be able to use Win98 drivers. No
    need to backup.

    But if you think you may decide to go back to Win98, there are some
    utilities that can do this (demoware/shareware generally).

    HTH
    MP

    "Hjalmar Leon" <hleon@sprynet.com> wrote in message
    > How can I save the drivers (Network, Video, Modem, Sound etc) of my
    computer
    > running Windows 98 SE prior to formatting my hard drive and re-install
    such
    > drivers later?
    > I do not want to visit 4 or 5 websites to download them all.
    > There is a way I can save a folder containing such drivers to be
    > re-installed later after formatting my Hard Drive?
    > Thanks newsgroup users

Drivers Formatting Hard Drives Windows XP