How to save drivers before formating HD

How can I save the drivers (Network, Video, Modem, Sound etc) of my computer
running Windows 98 SE prior to formatting my hard drive and re-install such
drivers later?
I do not want to visit 4 or 5 websites to download them all.
There is a way I can save a folder containing such drivers to be
re-installed later after formatting my Hard Drive?
Thanks newsgroup users

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

There is no way you can just copy the drivers from your computer and install
them later. There are temporary files that are used for installation and
then deleted after installation. You won't have them.

LOL, JAX

"Hjalmar Leon" <hleon@sprynet.com> wrote in message
> How can I save the drivers (Network, Video, Modem, Sound etc) of my
computer
> running Windows 98 SE prior to formatting my hard drive and re-install
such
> drivers later?
> I do not want to visit 4 or 5 websites to download them all.
> There is a way I can save a folder containing such drivers to be
> re-installed later after formatting my Hard Drive?
> Thanks newsgroup users

The W98 drivers will need to be replaced by XP drivers, in
most case they will be on the XP CD. If your computer is
very special, a laptop or has some rare component, you might
need to get special drivers.
But before installing XP from the CD, run the upgrade test
which is on the CD, to check for hardware compatibility. It
is also a good idea to remove hardware that is not required
for basic computer operation while installing XP. Once XP
has identified the mobo, CPU and video, you can reinstall
the other cards and devices one at a time. This helps
prevent the install hanging while it is trying to find some
driver. It also makes it easier to know what isn't working
properly.

see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941

"Hjalmar Leon" <hleon@sprynet.com> wrote in message
| How can I save the drivers (Network, Video, Modem, Sound
etc) of my computer
| running Windows 98 SE prior to formatting my hard drive
and re-install such
| drivers later?
| I do not want to visit 4 or 5 websites to download them
all.
| There is a way I can save a folder containing such drivers
to be
| re-installed later after formatting my Hard Drive?
| Thanks newsgroup users

"Hjalmar Leon" <hleon@sprynet.com> wrote in message
| How can I save the drivers (Network, Video, Modem, Sound etc) of my
computer
| running Windows 98 SE prior to formatting my hard drive and re-install
such
| drivers later?
| I do not want to visit 4 or 5 websites to download them all.
| There is a way I can save a folder containing such drivers to be
| re-installed later after formatting my Hard Drive?
| Thanks newsgroup users

DriverGuide toolkit (formerly WindriversBackup) will back up your drivers
for later reinstallation.

http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/

It looks like they have added some functionality and are charging for it
now.

I have the older version who's EULA lists it as freely distributable
freeware. I'd be happy to mail it to you if you let me know where. (106KB
zipped) It may also be available online somewhere.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

If you are going to use XP, you won't be able to use Win98 drivers. No
need to backup.

But if you think you may decide to go back to Win98, there are some
utilities that can do this (demoware/shareware generally).

HTH
MP

"Hjalmar Leon" <hleon@sprynet.com> wrote in message
> How can I save the drivers (Network, Video, Modem, Sound etc) of my
computer
> running Windows 98 SE prior to formatting my hard drive and re-install
such
> drivers later?
> I do not want to visit 4 or 5 websites to download them all.
> There is a way I can save a folder containing such drivers to be
> re-installed later after formatting my Hard Drive?
> Thanks newsgroup users

TRENDING THREADS