Need help resolving O/B sound and NIC problems with P4P800SE

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 17, 2004 6:29:13 PM

Hi all,

I just recently upgraded to a

P4P800SE / P4 2.8E 1MB / 1GB Kingston 3200, OS WinXP Pro

I went with the onboard marvel NIC and the onboard 6 channel sound as
opposed to my 3com NIC and SB Live 5.1. I use the Cambridge DT2200 5.1
speaker set.

First off for sound, I have played with just about every setting i can
find and i still cannot get the front and centre speakers to work? I only
get sound from the back two and the sub. This is using the o/b sound card.
I even tried uninstalling the drivers for the o/b, setting up the SBlive and
still nothing? Is there anything i need to be looking for? It was working
perfectly fine on my A7V/Athlon850 right before?

Secondly, using the o/b marvell 10/100, the network connection to my server
is extremely slow. It seems to stall for a few second before initializing
and my lord, it takes forever to copy over a simple 20 mb file? I use MS
money and my file is stored on a backup drive on the server. When i access
this file through MS money and do data entry it continuously stalls and
freezes for a few seconds? I never had this problem with my old system?
Makes me question the supposed performance improvement of my upgrade ~~ ! I
have yet to try my 3com in a PCI slot. Would there be any conflicts with the
o/b nic by installing the 3com?

Any info would be a great help.

Cheers,

--
vwbossBRA@PANTIESgmail.com
(Remove the BRA and PANTIES when replying)

If 2 sound chipsets don't work, it might be the speaker set itself.

I once owned the same set of Speakers. Shortly after buying them, the
Front/Rear balance thing on the volume control died, and was left with the
back pair alot louder than the front and centre. recently Cambridge
soundworks said they had no replacement Volume/Balance controls left in
stock for the DTT2200 cos it was a bit old. I had to buy a new and (and
better sounding) Logitech Speaker set.

Is the Volume control connector for the speakers ok where it enters the
Subwoofer/amp?

Try swapping the little speakers around to see if the front satellites are
OK. (temporarily put the front and centre speakers into the rear speaker
outputs on the subwoofer/Amp)

might also be the amp in the Subwoofer that has blown a few channels.

Just some thoughts........

"Harley" <vwbossBRA@PANTIESgmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I just recently upgraded to a
>
> P4P800SE / P4 2.8E 1MB / 1GB Kingston 3200, OS WinXP Pro
>
> I went with the onboard marvel NIC and the onboard 6 channel sound as
> opposed to my 3com NIC and SB Live 5.1. I use the Cambridge DT2200 5.1
> speaker set.
>
> First off for sound, I have played with just about every setting i can
> find and i still cannot get the front and centre speakers to work? I only
> get sound from the back two and the sub. This is using the o/b sound card.
> I even tried uninstalling the drivers for the o/b, setting up the SBlive
> and
> still nothing? Is there anything i need to be looking for? It was working
> perfectly fine on my A7V/Athlon850 right before?

August 18, 2004 12:18:53 PM

The thing is it was working not a hour before i did the upgrade and have
never had a problem up this point with the set. Hence i do not think it is
the speakers and more so a setting on the board that is not allowing the
full potential.

"Alex" <@> wrote in message news:41229bb7_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
> If 2 sound chipsets don't work, it might be the speaker set itself.
>
> I once owned the same set of Speakers. Shortly after buying them, the
> Front/Rear balance thing on the volume control died, and was left with the
> back pair alot louder than the front and centre. recently Cambridge
> soundworks said they had no replacement Volume/Balance controls left in
> stock for the DTT2200 cos it was a bit old. I had to buy a new and (and
> better sounding) Logitech Speaker set.
>
> Is the Volume control connector for the speakers ok where it enters the
> Subwoofer/amp?
>
> Try swapping the little speakers around to see if the front satellites are
> OK. (temporarily put the front and centre speakers into the rear speaker
> outputs on the subwoofer/Amp)
>
> might also be the amp in the Subwoofer that has blown a few channels.
>
> Just some thoughts........
>

> "Harley" <vwbossBRA@PANTIESgmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just recently upgraded to a
> >
> > P4P800SE / P4 2.8E 1MB / 1GB Kingston 3200, OS WinXP Pro
> >
> > I went with the onboard marvel NIC and the onboard 6 channel sound as
> > opposed to my 3com NIC and SB Live 5.1. I use the Cambridge DT2200 5.1
> > speaker set.
> >
> > First off for sound, I have played with just about every setting i can
> > find and i still cannot get the front and centre speakers to work? I
only
> > get sound from the back two and the sub. This is using the o/b sound
card.
> > I even tried uninstalling the drivers for the o/b, setting up the SBlive
> > and
> > still nothing? Is there anything i need to be looking for? It was
working
> > perfectly fine on my A7V/Athlon850 right before?

August 18, 2004 5:56:04 PM

Yes.

Theres the onboard sound in the motherboard bios that should be enabled. I
assume youve done that. (Press DEL at computer start). and find the "enable
onboard audio" feature. Hmmmm.....

!