Is there a mobo that support the atlhon xp bits and the 64..

Ed

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:13:14 -0400, Dreamaker <onceuponatime@theEnd.com>
wrote:

>It would be nice to upgrade smoothly...

I think the Athlon XP's and Athlon 64's are just too different for that
to happen, but there are boards that have two different sockets, one
uses a 754/939 and the other I've seen uses the 478/775. AFAIK neither
has come to market yet.

Ed

Simple answer is no, despite having the same manufacturer (AMD) the two
chips nad their support chips are soooo different as to make this a near
impossibility.

Crimson Liar

Dreamaker schrieb:

> It would be nice to upgrade smoothly...

Take a look at both the K7 and the Hammer architecture, and you'll see
why it's pretty much impossible to support both on one board. For a
start, the processor buses alone are totally different (EV6 vs.
HyperTransport), and then the Hammer has a built-in memory controller.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

Tim

Just get an Athlon 64. It will run everything the XP will and faster.
When the 64 bit OS you want appear, switch over to it. In the mean time
stick with 32 bit windows.

With Windows XP 64 bit then you can concurrently run 32 and 64 bit apps.
This is the advantage that the Athlon 64 has over EG Itanium.

Many 64 bit systems are being sold and the prices are very competitive - it
is the upgrade path now.

Windows XP 64 bit is plodding along quite well from what I see (I don't have
it as I don't need an upgrade). Driver support is improving slowly but
surely. The product is still in beta, but many are using it. Personally I
would not use it for production without a thorough evaluation and research.

- Tim