A8V - All 4 DIMM slots are DDR?

Hello,
I will be buying one of these motherboard for my workstation soon and
was wondering whether all 4 DIMM slots can take DDR400 memory in
full speed DDR mode?

I need 2GB of RAM and was planing to go the 4x512MB routes intead of
2x1GB mainly because of price.

I am asking because right now I use an K8V which has 3 slots advertised
as DDR by ASUS, yet only the 2 blue ones take DDR, the other one doesn't
AFAIK.
2 answers Last reply
More about dimm slots

    Hi,
    I have one more question regarding modules with 64Mx8 chips.
    All I can find is this type of chip organization for 1GB:
    128Mx64
    128Mx72

    I couldn't find 64Mx8 on crucial/kingston websites either, do you know
    if there's a way to identify these chips without seeing them?
    Or do Kingston/Crucial sell only 64Mx8 chips so I can just buy from them?

    Thanks

    In article <cfukrb$576$1@ls219.htnet.hr>, "cic" <cic@cic.cic> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have one more question regarding modules with 64Mx8 chips.
    > All I can find is this type of chip organization for 1GB:
    > 128Mx64
    > 128Mx72
    >
    > I couldn't find 64Mx8 on crucial/kingston websites either, do you know
    > if there's a way to identify these chips without seeing them?
    > Or do Kingston/Crucial sell only 64Mx8 chips so I can just buy from them?
    >
    > Thanks

    A8V modules - There are even unbuffered ECC modules available
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=19150&distributor=0&submit1=Search

    1GB Module - $275 - Datasheet link - CAS3 - States (16) 64Mx8 chips
    http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR400X64C3A_1G.pdf

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=ASUS%2B+Motherboards&mfr=ASUS&cat=RAM&model=A8V+Deluxe&submit=Go

    1GB Module - $253 - CAS3 - Crucial doesn't give details. They swear
    the module will work, and that is supposed to be good enough :-)
    http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=4A56B5ECA5CA7304&WSMD=A8V+Deluxe&WSPN=CT12864Z40B

    If the module is sold on a web site that has a picture of the Crucial
    module, then if the Micron label on the module can be located in the
    picture, you can use the Micron part number on the Micron site, to
    get a datasheet. A lot of work and doesn't work too often.

    I tried Newegg, and here is a picture of the Crucial CT12864Z40B

    http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/20-146-545-02.JPG

    The Micron number = MT16VDDT12864AG-40BC1

    If you scroll to the bottom of this page, that Micron module is
    made with 64Mx8 parts.

    http://micron.com/products/modules/ddrsdram/partlist.aspx?pincount=184-Pin&version=Unbuffered&package=DIMM

    Corsair datasheets are spotty.
    http://corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html

    This module lists the fact that 64Mx8 are used:
    http://corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/cmx1024-3200.pdf

    and this one doesn't:
    http://corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/cmx1024-3200c2.pdf

    Chip dimension information becomes harder to get, the more
    "generic" the module is. Many of the companies on Pricewatch are
    "web only" stores, that don't want to talk to you. They seldom
    give that kind of detail, cloaking the identify of the module
    with details like "works with KT600, SIS954 blah blah", as
    if you are supposed to extrapolate from that statement, to
    reality.

    Good luck in your search,
    Paul

Asus DDR DIMM Motherboards Product