Asus A7N8X-VM versus MSI K7N2 Delta-L + Geforce4MX400

Hi

I would like to upgrade my pc (game one) to allow playing doom3.
I have MSI KT3 ultra2 + XP1600+ + 512 DDR + Geforce2MX400 64MB
Doom3 doesn't go well on this system :-(

for a budget price

I think of going on a AMD XP2600 (keep my 512 MB DDR 2700 and perhaps add
another 512MB/2700 to be compatible)
change MB and Graphic;
I hesitate between :

Asus A7N8X-VM which has a Geforce4MX400 on board (but I think take somme
memory from the main memory ?) 85 ?
and a couple of
MSI K7N2 Delta-L + Geforce4MX400

is there a difference (the price is a little bit lower in the first case...)

and what about the
MSI KT880 Delta-FSR ?? 85 ?

I just need, on the MB, sound, ethernet 100 Mb is far enough. USB and IDE
(no SATA needed)

is a Geforce4MX400 enoigh for playing good enough at doom3 ?
does it do with DirectX9 ?

thanks for your advise
Ciao

Better off with A7N8X-E, XP2600, double your ram (better to move to faster
ram but costly) and get the best video card you can afford maybe a ATI
9600XT or Nvidia FX 5700. I would not waste money on a Motherboard with
built in graphics. I would see if I could get a second-hand 5700 card that
someone is selling as upgrading.

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/doom3-08.html
"lotfi" <blotfib(nos_pam)@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I would like to upgrade my pc (game one) to allow playing doom3.
> I have MSI KT3 ultra2 + XP1600+ + 512 DDR + Geforce2MX400 64MB
> Doom3 doesn't go well on this system :-(
>
> for a budget price
>
> I think of going on a AMD XP2600 (keep my 512 MB DDR 2700 and perhaps add
> another 512MB/2700 to be compatible)
> change MB and Graphic;
> I hesitate between :
>
> Asus A7N8X-VM which has a Geforce4MX400 on board (but I think take somme
> memory from the main memory ?) 85 ?
> and a couple of
> MSI K7N2 Delta-L + Geforce4MX400
>
> is there a difference (the price is a little bit lower in the first
case...)

> and what about the
> MSI KT880 Delta-FSR ?? 85 ?
>
> I just need, on the MB, sound, ethernet 100 Mb is far enough. USB and IDE
> (no SATA needed)
>

> is a Geforce4MX400 enoigh for playing good enough at doom3 ?
> does it do with DirectX9 ?
>
> thanks for your advise
> Ciao

Don't go for the build-in-video board. I played Doom3 on different systems,
even my Athlon64 3000+, K8V, 512Mb, FX6800LE 128Mb has problem with
resolutions higher that 1024x768. The other system with XP 2700+, A7N8X-X,
512Mb, FX5600XT 128mb would not go higher than 800x600... So don't waiste
your money to all-in-boards. And about MSI, well that's a totall different
story. GO FOR ASUS!

"sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> schreef in bericht
> Better off with A7N8X-E, XP2600, double your ram (better to move to faster
> ram but costly) and get the best video card you can afford maybe a ATI
> 9600XT or Nvidia FX 5700. I would not waste money on a Motherboard with
> built in graphics. I would see if I could get a second-hand 5700 card that
> someone is selling as upgrading.
>
> http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/doom3-08.html
> "lotfi" <blotfib(nos_pam)@free.fr> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I would like to upgrade my pc (game one) to allow playing doom3.
> > I have MSI KT3 ultra2 + XP1600+ + 512 DDR + Geforce2MX400 64MB
> > Doom3 doesn't go well on this system :-(
> >
> > for a budget price
> >
> > I think of going on a AMD XP2600 (keep my 512 MB DDR 2700 and perhaps
add
> > another 512MB/2700 to be compatible)
> > change MB and Graphic;
> > I hesitate between :
> >
> > Asus A7N8X-VM which has a Geforce4MX400 on board (but I think take somme
> > memory from the main memory ?) 85 ?
> > and a couple of
> > MSI K7N2 Delta-L + Geforce4MX400
> >
> > is there a difference (the price is a little bit lower in the first
> case...)
> >
> > and what about the
> > MSI KT880 Delta-FSR ?? 85 ?
> >
> > I just need, on the MB, sound, ethernet 100 Mb is far enough. USB and
IDE
> > (no SATA needed)
> >

> > is a Geforce4MX400 enoigh for playing good enough at doom3 ?
> > does it do with DirectX9 ?
> >
> > thanks for your advise
> > Ciao

Thank you very much for all your advices
so I understand, I must not use MB with built in graphics
but what about :
"And about MSI, well that's a totall different story. GO FOR ASUS!" ??

In the past I had both Asus and MSI MB and I noticed no difference... they
are close, (Asus little bit expensive)
BTW I like very much asus (my laptop is a an asus 3000D amd xp2000 but with
very poor sis integrated graphic, not even 3D...

the MSI K7N2 Delta-L is at 66 euros
GeForce FX 5700LE 128Mo at 114 euros.... :-(

I think I will forgto to play doom3, since I red so many critics (Tom's)
that says it is not the FPS we excepted
I'll concentrate on UT2004
even my GeForce 2 MX400 64 MB is enough for mlinimal gameplay

Thanks for your fast answer
Ciao

"Driekes" <driekes@xs4all.nl> a écrit dans le message news:
4123ad73$0$21106$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> Don't go for the build-in-video board. I played Doom3 on different
systems,
> even my Athlon64 3000+, K8V, 512Mb, FX6800LE 128Mb has problem with
> resolutions higher that 1024x768. The other system with XP 2700+, A7N8X-X,
> 512Mb, FX5600XT 128mb would not go higher than 800x600... So don't waiste
> your money to all-in-boards. And about MSI, well that's a totall different
> story. GO FOR ASUS!
>
> "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> schreef in bericht
> > Better off with A7N8X-E, XP2600, double your ram (better to move to
faster
> > ram but costly) and get the best video card you can afford maybe a ATI
> > 9600XT or Nvidia FX 5700. I would not waste money on a Motherboard with
> > built in graphics. I would see if I could get a second-hand 5700 card
that
> > someone is selling as upgrading.
> >
> > http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/doom3-08.html
> > "lotfi" <blotfib(nos_pam)@free.fr> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I would like to upgrade my pc (game one) to allow playing doom3.
> > > I have MSI KT3 ultra2 + XP1600+ + 512 DDR + Geforce2MX400 64MB
> > > Doom3 doesn't go well on this system :-(
> > >
> > > for a budget price
> > >
> > > I think of going on a AMD XP2600 (keep my 512 MB DDR 2700 and perhaps
> add
> > > another 512MB/2700 to be compatible)
> > > change MB and Graphic;
> > > I hesitate between :
> > >
> > > Asus A7N8X-VM which has a Geforce4MX400 on board (but I think take
somme
> > > memory from the main memory ?) 85 ?
> > > and a couple of
> > > MSI K7N2 Delta-L + Geforce4MX400
> > >
> > > is there a difference (the price is a little bit lower in the first
> > case...)
> > >
> > > and what about the
> > > MSI KT880 Delta-FSR ?? 85 ?
> > >
> > > I just need, on the MB, sound, ethernet 100 Mb is far enough. USB and
> IDE
> > > (no SATA needed)
> > >

> > > is a Geforce4MX400 enoigh for playing good enough at doom3 ?
> > > does it do with DirectX9 ?
> > >
> > > thanks for your advise
> > > Ciao

Onboard video will perform 3Dbenchmarks2001 SE with a score of about
4300 if dual memory mode is available (2 sticks), half of that if just
one stick.

That is not very good ! 4x better on better graphics cards.

So avoid that onboard, and get the real thing. The geforce ti4200 is
about the lowest hardware quality able to play doom3.

best regards

John