LAN

I want to practice CS:S at home with my son using 2 computers connected to
the home wireless router, Is there a way of doing a multiplayer game with
robots and we (my son and me) at home with the local network using 1 license
key ? Or do I need to buy an extra copy of HL2 ? Other games like AOM or AOE
let's you go multiplayer within the same network using the same key up to 5
players! Does steam sells the extra license at a small fee if I already have
all the installation CD's and manuals ?

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "E Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I want to practice CS:S at home with my son using 2 computers connected to
    >the home wireless router, Is there a way of doing a multiplayer game with
    >robots and we (my son and me) at home with the local network using 1
    >license key ?

    You can LAN play on several machines, using the same steam account on each
    computer. Make sure the game files are fully up to date on each computer
    (100% ready for offline play).

    "Dave H." <oldpinball@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > "E Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>I want to practice CS:S at home with my son using 2 computers connected to
    >>the home wireless router, Is there a way of doing a multiplayer game with
    >>robots and we (my son and me) at home with the local network using 1
    >>license key ?
    >
    > You can LAN play on several machines, using the same steam account on each
    > computer. Make sure the game files are fully up to date on each computer
    > (100% ready for offline play).

    As soon as I login on one computer , on the other it gets logged out!, Do I
    have to shutdown the internet ? or modify the firewall so CS:S doesn't call
    back home to check the license ?

    Thanks

    > "Dave H." <oldpinball@despammed.com> wrote in message
    >> "E Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>>I want to practice CS:S at home with my son using 2 computers connected
    >>>to the home wireless router, Is there a way of doing a multiplayer game
    >>>with robots and we (my son and me) at home with the local network using 1
    >>>license key ?
    >>
    >> You can LAN play on several machines, using the same steam account on
    >> each computer. Make sure the game files are fully up to date on each
    >> computer (100% ready for offline play).
    >>

    > As soon as I login on one computer , on the other it gets logged out!, Do
    > I have to shutdown the internet ? or modify the firewall so CS:S doesn't
    > call back home to check the license ?
    >
    > Thanks

    I think he meant to update all files on each computer (one at a time), then
    disconnect your internet and launch the LAN game.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    My guess is that the game-server checks all clients for matching
    steam-accounts. No doublets are allowed.
    I think you have to purchase a second one, if you want to play on two
    machines.

    /Morten
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    To play on Lan, you should directly connect two computers to each other
    through a cable line or else use a router and connect both computers to
    the router. Usually you can see if both computers are connected when
    the lower right hand corner where the clock is shows the blue computer
    screen icon that says "connected" when you pass over it.

    Once that is done, open steam offline for both accounts and launch the
    game. Have on create the game, and the other connect to the IP of the
    created server. The server IP can be found when writing "status" in the
    console(~)

    The 'joining' computer should write "connect ipaddress (something like
    12.34.56.78:9100) If that doesn't work, I'll be back to show you
    exactly how it's done after a lan party at my friend's place.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Dave H." <oldpinball@despammed.com> wrote in message
    > "E Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > >I want to practice CS:S at home with my son using 2 computers
    connected to
    > >the home wireless router, Is there a way of doing a multiplayer game
    with
    > >robots and we (my son and me) at home with the local network using 1
    > >license key ?
    >
    > You can LAN play on several machines, using the same steam account on
    each
    > computer. Make sure the game files are fully up to date on each
    computer
    > (100% ready for offline play).

    Could you expand on what exactly needs to be done,
    how the game is started on the LAN for play,
    and how you find each other without a server running ?

    Also - do we have to dis-able (somehow) the connection to the Internet
    so that the game does not ping the Valve/Steam servers -

    Hmmmm - our retail package installed the CDrom game,
    but then it was pretty much superceeded by re-downloading
    the entire game from Steam.

    So - how do you play "offline" and yet find the other computer on the
    LAN ?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "E Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > "Dave H." <oldpinball@despammed.com> wrote in message
    >> "E Arredondo" <atk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>>I want to practice CS:S at home with my son using 2 computers connected
    >>>to the home wireless router, Is there a way of doing a multiplayer game
    >>>with robots and we (my son and me) at home with the local network using 1
    >>>license key ?
    >>
    >> You can LAN play on several machines, using the same steam account on
    >> each computer. Make sure the game files are fully up to date on each
    >> computer (100% ready for offline play).
    >>

    > As soon as I login on one computer , on the other it gets logged out!, Do
    > I have to shutdown the internet ? or modify the firewall so CS:S doesn't
    > call back home to check the license ?
    >
    > Thanks

    LAN games with multiple players on one Steam account use >>> offline <<<
    play.

    So yes, shutdown your internet connection, without disabling the local
    network, and start Steam. You will get an error "Could not connect to Steam
    Network", but you can now use the option to "Start in Offline Mode". Start
    your game of choice, choose "Create Server" to host, or "Find Servers" to
    play (select the "LAN" tab to see local LAN games).

    It may not matter, but my local machines have fixed IP addresses on the LAN
    (192.168.0.0-to-255). These machines are on hubs or switches, and are not
    using router assigned IP addresses.

    I use just one key, one account, for the LAN (although I have an extra
    key). Our slow internet connection makes it much easier to update one
    machine, with all of the custom maps and mods that enlarge the user account.
    Then the game files are copied to another computer (which usually needs to
    recreate the .blob file online before it can play Steam games again).

    Ideally you will have a PC on the LAN which can be used as a dedicated
    server, especially if you want to play against many bots. The Zombie CSS
    config mod is fun, 2 or 3 humans against up to 20 shambling bots with
    knives. Smaller HL2 DM maps are fun, even with only 2 players, but you will
    have the most fun with 3 or more human players.

    HTH,
    Dave H.
    --------

Multiplayer Games Video Games