XP SP-2

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2004 2:40:46 AM

Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?

Rick

More about : question

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2004 2:40:47 AM

I've had it since the public beta. I now have it on my two desktops & one
laptop. No issues beyond having to update Norton.

Do a good backup & smoke test it!

--
Steve
OldManCompute

"Rick & Darlene" <Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
>
> Rick

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2004 2:40:48 AM

Steve and Peter,

I have three home/office computers running XP Home and one laptop running XP
Pro. Should I download SP2 from this site:

Halfway down the page it says:
DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more
appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive
this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to
receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for more
information on receiving Windows XP SP2.

All my PCs are connected via a network, so it seems more efficient to
download SP2 once and copy the installation file to the other PCs rather
than run Windows Update four times.

What do you think? Am I asking for trouble downloading the installation
file that is supposedly for IT professionals only? (I am definitely not an
IT professional.)

Thanks!

John

"Steve Colburn" <colddayDEL@MEgci.net> wrote in message
> I've had it since the public beta. I now have it on my two desktops & one
> laptop. No issues beyond having to update Norton.
>
> Do a good backup & smoke test it!
>
> --
> Steve
> OldManCompute
>
> "Rick & Darlene" <Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
> >
> > Rick

a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2004 5:42:07 AM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:40:46 -0400, "Rick & Darlene"
<Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote:

>Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
>
>Rick

It has reduced performance on two systems of mine (noticably, but not
tremendously).

I turned the firewall off since I have a NAT gateway that only lets
limited traffic through anyway.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2004 7:22:24 AM

John Blaustein wrote:
> Steve and Peter,
>
> I have three home/office computers running XP Home and one laptop running XP
> Pro. Should I download SP2 from this site:

> Halfway down the page it says:
> DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more
> appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive
> this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to
> receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for more
> information on receiving Windows XP SP2.
>
> All my PCs are connected via a network, so it seems more efficient to
> download SP2 once and copy the installation file to the other PCs rather
> than run Windows Update four times.
>
> What do you think? Am I asking for trouble downloading the installation
> file that is supposedly for IT professionals only? (I am definitely not an
> IT professional.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

I downloaded the huge copy, it makes for a better slipstream, in case I
have to re-install any stations.

Oh, and just FYI, it b0rks NERO Ultra Edition, I had to download an
update to make it work again (how does firewalling and DEP affect a burner?)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2004 10:25:03 AM

"singha_lvr" <singha_lvr@charter.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:40:46 -0400, "Rick & Darlene"
> <Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
> >
> >Rick
> >

> It has reduced performance on two systems of mine (noticably, but not
> tremendously).
>
> I turned the firewall off since I have a NAT gateway that only lets
> limited traffic through anyway.

You should be running other software firewall software in that case as a NAT
gateway only stops incoming traffic.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2004 10:31:08 AM

I have installed on two machines, it totally borked one but the other is
running fine. If really need to ask yourself if you need SP2, IBM I
understand has put out a request too all there customers not to use it. The
list of affected software is very long and includes a lot of Microsoft apps.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884130
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2004 12:42:42 PM

"Rick & Darlene" <Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
>
> Rick

I have it on two different machines(Intel/AMD) and it works fine.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 19, 2004 4:10:29 PM

I installed the SP2 RC-2 we get on CD and everything's fine.

"Rick & Darlene" <Bluemagic@comcast.net> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:lqKdnZQf9uu0jrncRVn-sw@comcast.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
>
> Rick

August 19, 2004 7:24:54 PM

I haven't downloaded it yet and think I will wait till I hear positive
comments. If you are a gamer this link may cause you to wait like me. :-)

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/warcraft3reignofcha...

--
Tip
www.gotips.net

"Rick & Darlene" <Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
>
> Rick

August 20, 2004 1:28:40 AM

IBM Huh? I read the "IBM" Statement too and it was an admission that they
had not bothered to do any internal testing of their own software for their
own internal systems when they had many months in which to do that testing.
Further it was an admission that the person that made the statement was a
pillock. I wouldn't be surprised to find he is now unemployed for slating
all those he worked with. IBM may not be my favourite company, but I am
quite sure they have an enormous number of capable people working for them
and not all of them would agree that it was appropriate to release the
statement referred to.

Do you have a reference to this next claim? I have such a list and it is not
very long at all.

"The list of affected software is very long and includes a lot of Microsoft
apps."
How many MS Windows Apps are there?

I think the answer to the above equation is very close to ZERO. If you cross
reference the above supposed LONG list with the list of software products
that need firewall configuration (Q842242) , you will find there are
specific issues and fixes for many of them.

You need to do a little bit more research.

I get seriously pissed off when something good comes along such as SP2 and
uninformed people regurgitate erroneously and out of context often
misreported information that has little if any bearing on reality. The
reality is that daily many many thousands of people are deploying SP2
without issue. The biggest single source of problems would be systems that
are already stuffed with virii and worms. Quite frankly I think it is
downright irresponsible to express an opinion that is flawed as Pete D has
that will discourage users from installing a much needed service pack which
will help protect them *and others* from the scum of software writers.

- Tim

>I have installed on two machines, it totally borked one but the other is
> running fine. If really need to ask yourself if you need SP2, IBM I
> understand has put out a request too all there customers not to use it.
> The
> list of affected software is very long and includes a lot of Microsoft
> apps.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884130

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2004 1:28:41 AM

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:cg1rof$j68$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> IBM Huh? I read the "IBM" Statement too and it was an admission that they
> had not bothered to do any internal testing of their own software for
their
> own internal systems when they had many months in which to do that
testing.
> Further it was an admission that the person that made the statement was a
> pillock. I wouldn't be surprised to find he is now unemployed for slating
> all those he worked with. IBM may not be my favourite company, but I am
> quite sure they have an enormous number of capable people working for them
> and not all of them would agree that it was appropriate to release the
> statement referred to.
>
> Do you have a reference to this next claim? I have such a list and it is
not
> very long at all.
>
> "The list of affected software is very long and includes a lot of
Microsoft
> apps."
> ______

Encarta Enzyklopädie 2002 Microsoft
Age of Empires II: Age of Kings --- Microsoft
Application Center 2000 SP2 --- Microsoft
BizTalk 2004 --- Microsoft
CMS 2001 Microsoft
Combat Flight Simulator 3 1 Microsoft
Excel 2003 Microsoft
Halo Combat Evolved (Arabic and Hebrew) Trial Microsoft
MapPoint Europe 2004 Microsoft
Microsoft Operations Manager 2000 SP1 Microsoft
MS License 3.7 Microsoft
MSBN --- Microsoft
MSN 7.02 Microsoft
MSN 9 QFE1 and 9.1 beta 9 Microsoft
Office 11 Microsoft
Office - Power Point 2002 (German) 2002 Microsoft
Office Access 2002 2002 Microsoft
Office System - Power Point 2003 Microsoft
Office XP Access 10 Microsoft
Office XP Professional Excel 10.0 SP2 --- Microsoft
Office XP SP2 - PowerPoint 11 Microsoft
Office XP Standard 10 Microsoft
Outlook 2000 9 Microsoft
Outlook 2002 10 Microsoft
Outlook 2003 11 Microsoft
Outlook Web Access x Microsoft
Revenge of Arcade v1.0 Microsoft
Server Administrator Tools --- Microsoft
SMS 2.0 SP5 Microsoft
SMS 2.0 SP5 Microsoft
SMS 2003 RC2 Microsoft
SMS 2003 RTM Microsoft
SMS --- Microsoft
SNA Server 4.0 SP4 --- Microsoft
SQL --- Microsoft
SQL 7 Microsoft
SQL 2000a SP3 Microsoft
TaxSaver 1999 Microsoft
Virtual PC 2004 Microsoft
Visual Basic 6 Microsoft
Visual C++ (16-bit) 2 Microsoft
Visual Studio 7 Microsoft
Visual Studio 97 Microsoft
Visual Studio .NET Enterprise 2003 --- Microsoft
Visual Studio 98 6 Microsoft
Windows Sharepoint Services 2 Microsoft
Windows Sharepoint Services --- Microsoft
Word XP Microsoft
Works Suite 2004 2004 Microsoft
WSS 2 Microsoft

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_title=Micro...

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:cg1rof$j68$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> IBM Huh? I read the "IBM" Statement too and it was an admission that they
> had not bothered to do any internal testing of their own software for
their
> own internal systems when they had many months in which to do that
testing.
> Further it was an admission that the person that made the statement was a
> pillock. I wouldn't be surprised to find he is now unemployed for slating
> all those he worked with. IBM may not be my favourite company, but I am
> quite sure they have an enormous number of capable people working for them
> and not all of them would agree that it was appropriate to release the
> statement referred to.
>
> Do you have a reference to this next claim? I have such a list and it is
not
> very long at all.
>
> "The list of affected software is very long and includes a lot of
Microsoft
> apps."
> How many MS Windows Apps are there?
>
> I think the answer to the above equation is very close to ZERO. If you
cross
> reference the above supposed LONG list with the list of software products
> that need firewall configuration (Q842242) , you will find there are
> specific issues and fixes for many of them.
>
> You need to do a little bit more research.
>
> I get seriously pissed off when something good comes along such as SP2 and
> uninformed people regurgitate erroneously and out of context often
> misreported information that has little if any bearing on reality. The
> reality is that daily many many thousands of people are deploying SP2
> without issue. The biggest single source of problems would be systems that
> are already stuffed with virii and worms. Quite frankly I think it is
> downright irresponsible to express an opinion that is flawed as Pete D has
> that will discourage users from installing a much needed service pack
which
> will help protect them *and others* from the scum of software writers.
>
> - Tim
>

> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
> >I have installed on two machines, it totally borked one but the other is
> > running fine. If really need to ask yourself if you need SP2, IBM I
> > understand has put out a request too all there customers not to use it.
> > The
> > list of affected software is very long and includes a lot of Microsoft
> > apps.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884130

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2004 3:10:08 AM

Yes, it's been out for over a week (came out last Tuesday). You can get
it here:

In my opinion, the update itself is near perfect and bug free.
Basically all of the issues fall into one of two categories:

1. The firewall blocks ports needed by some applications. However it's
easy to unblock them, and they are unblocked only for that application.

2. A few -- very few -- programs truly have issues, but from what I've
seen, the bugs are in those programs, not the service pack, and updates
for those programs are being released very, very quickly (most are
already out).

The link above is to the FULL SP2 update. It's bigger than most people
will need, but it is the final "gold" release. What's not out yet are
both various distribution channels (e.g. you can't get the update
"delivered" via Windows Update -- yet), and the "breakdown" smaller
versions of the service pack for only specific versions of Windows (only
Home, only Pro, only Tablet PC, only Media PC, etc.). However the link
above has EVERYTHING, and will update an original Windows XP (without
even SP1) to SP2 with every security patch and update (including
DirectX, Windows Media Player and IE) as of last week. It also works
for any version of Windows that had been fully or partially updated. In
short, it's the one you want when you want the very best [all of the
scary "network and system administrator only" warnings at the microsoft
downloage page above not withstanding].

Rick & Darlene wrote:

> Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
>
> Rick

August 20, 2004 4:13:06 AM

I can only tell what happened to me...I used that version and installed it
seperately on 2 networked computers...one was fine the other was not.The version
that will be on the XP update site will not be as large ....as it will see what
you have and then only update what you are missing....but I wanted a copy to
keep for future use.
I believe the failure rate is very very small if you follow most of the
instructions.Something on my 2nd system did not agree with SP2..maybe my
overclock...maybe the version of ZoneAlarm I was running...who knows.
I would download it again from that site if needed ..it doesn't matter if you
are installing for a network or stand alone system.
peter
"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Steve and Peter,
>
> I have three home/office computers running XP Home and one laptop running XP
> Pro. Should I download SP2 from this site:

> Halfway down the page it says:
> DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more
> appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive
> this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to
> receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for more
> information on receiving Windows XP SP2.
>
> All my PCs are connected via a network, so it seems more efficient to
> download SP2 once and copy the installation file to the other PCs rather
> than run Windows Update four times.
>
> What do you think? Am I asking for trouble downloading the installation
> file that is supposedly for IT professionals only? (I am definitely not an
> IT professional.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
>

> "Steve Colburn" <colddayDEL@MEgci.net> wrote in message
>> I've had it since the public beta. I now have it on my two desktops & one
>> laptop. No issues beyond having to update Norton.
>>
>> Do a good backup & smoke test it!
>>
>> --
>> Steve
>> OldManCompute
>>
>> "Rick & Darlene" <Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
>> >
>> > Rick

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2004 4:13:07 AM

Peter, Barry and others...

Thank you!

John
August 20, 2004 4:41:20 AM

What has XP SP2 got to do with this group??
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2004 5:31:30 AM

Well, since we all need or will contemplate getting it, it has everything to
do with this group! If you are running XP....nuff said!!! (However, I did
not think it would generate this much interest!)

Rick

"Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message
> What has XP SP2 got to do with this group??

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2004 6:29:15 AM

Re: "The version that will be on the XP update site will not be as large"

That's not exactly right.

The windows update version will download a 1.6 MB program that will
examine your system and then further download only and exactly what your
system needs.

The 270 MB version has everything in it that ANY system might need. All
files that the 1.6 MB program might possibly download and install.

BUT, what actually ends up getting installed on any given system under
these two installation schemes is EXACTLY the same, in the end. There
is no difference.
August 20, 2004 7:43:21 AM

As I understood the size thing ...if you are up to date on your updates it will
not be as large an update as the 270mb that you download
which has all the updates in it since SP1
?????
peter
> Re: "The version that will be on the XP update site will not be as large"
>
> That's not exactly right.
>
> The windows update version will download a 1.6 MB program that will examine
> your system and then further download only and exactly what your system needs.
>
> The 270 MB version has everything in it that ANY system might need. All files
> that the 1.6 MB program might possibly download and install.
>
> BUT, what actually ends up getting installed on any given system under these
> two installation schemes is EXACTLY the same, in the end. There is no
> difference.

August 20, 2004 3:06:34 PM

ALL need it?
that remains to be seen.
I heard that when SP1 came out...........
I never bothered with it and I never had any problems
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2004 5:04:23 PM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:40:46 -0400, in
<lqKdnZQf9uu0jrncRVn-sw@comcast.com> (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
"Rick & Darlene" <Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote:

> Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
>
> Rick

I have the administrative (full 250Mb) version, and have applied it to
four machines (two PIIIs, an AMD XP 1900+ and an AMD 64 3400+) without
noteable incident.

It will complain if you don't have XP Firewalling turned on, or if it
can't detect your Antivirus Software's active status. I have an IPCop
firewall that covers my LAN, and I always disable autoprotect before
applying things like this service pack, so I told it as much and it
became happy.

It closes a load of ports that should have been closed by default
before, so many things that relied on open ports will complain. It
will also reset some security related settings to a more secure
default, which may change the behaviour of some apps. All of these
things are configurable however - this won't surprise you if you have
Read TF Manual, but has caused a number of the Microphobes to froth a
little.

In conclusion I would say that it makes the OS safer, and is a sound
update. Of course, any tool is potentially limited by whoever wields
it :)

Cheers

--
Charlie
August 20, 2004 8:15:41 PM

Depending on where you were up to: no SP, SP1, RC1, or RC2, the further back
in time, the more will be downloaded. For my system it was about 35MB, for a
normal up to date SP1 I believe it is 60 - 80 MB so is achievable via dial
up as the downloader will resume interupted downloads from the point where
it last stopped & use spare bandwidth.

- Tim

"peter" <peter@telus.net> wrote in message
> As I understood the size thing ...if you are up to date on your updates it
> will not be as large an update as the 270mb that you download
> which has all the updates in it since SP1
> ?????
> peter
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Re: "The version that will be on the XP update site will not be as large"
>>
>> That's not exactly right.
>>
>> The windows update version will download a 1.6 MB program that will
>> examine your system and then further download only and exactly what your
>> system needs.
>>
>> The 270 MB version has everything in it that ANY system might need. All
>> files that the 1.6 MB program might possibly download and install.
>>
>> BUT, what actually ends up getting installed on any given system under
>> these two installation schemes is EXACTLY the same, in the end. There is
>> no difference.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2004 10:31:36 PM

In article <_YnVc.161173$J06.147867@pd7tw2no>, callanca@shaw.ca says...
> There have been less than 20 *nix viruses, and Windows/DOS account for
> more than 60,000

But there are new holes found in applications that run on Nix boxes
every month, many of which give the attacker root access - just look at
all the postings from HP about HPUX and the apps that run on it.

There is no such thing as a secure platform.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2004 12:02:38 AM

Leythos wrote:
> In article <_YnVc.161173$J06.147867@pd7tw2no>, callanca@shaw.ca says...
>
>>There have been less than 20 *nix viruses, and Windows/DOS account for
>>more than 60,000
>

> But there are new holes found in applications that run on Nix boxes
> every month, many of which give the attacker root access - just look at
> all the postings from HP about HPUX and the apps that run on it.

Yes, but unlike in Windows, its not a security advisory for a whole
FAMILY of products, like 9x/ME or 2K/XP kernel, then an exploit hits 95,
98, 98se, me etc, where in *nix a virus is too dependant on require very
specific versions of programs to exploit.

/Most/ of the security advisories for *nix machines that are local root
exploits, assume that a person has an account already, and is within
your firewall, /AND/ runs that precise version of a service.

So a vulnerability in sendmail version 1.5.1 cannot be hit on 1.5.0 or
1.5.2 normally, it is this diversity and not a monoculture that has
stopped *nix viruses from becoming larger than they are, there is not as
many vulnerable machines to exploit, and even if you hit every box
running said version of a service, it's still a dead end, as you have no
more to infect, the rest aren't able to be infected.

If you can't trust people on the internal net, no OS will save you.

Infecting *nix from the outside is a lot harder than Windows where
everything is executable.

> There is no such thing as a secure platform.

Agreed, but *nix and its model is inherently a better security model for
a NETWORKED os, which is pretty much a requirement for most devices
nowadays.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2004 2:53:11 AM

In article <yNsVc.162645$J06.51901@pd7tw2no>, callanca@shaw.ca says...
> If you can't trust people on the internal net, no OS will save you.
>
> Infecting *nix from the outside is a lot harder than Windows where
> everything is executable.
>
> > There is no such thing as a secure platform.
> >

> Agreed, but *nix and its model is inherently a better security model for
> a NETWORKED os, which is pretty much a requirement for most devices
> nowadays.

The point to all of this is that a single system, on any OS, is
susceptible to being compromised before you patch and secure it. Most
default installs by non-IT types have way more than needed - most Nix
distro's provide MANY things that are not the OS code, as does Windows.
If you start from a somewhat protected environment you can save a lot of
pain.

SP2, while fixing a lot of things, is only a placebo. The people that
install it are the ones that are already doing their updates. It's the
people that don't have a clue, don't do updates, and can't even
understand the difference between the Internet and the web (or email),
that we need to get help for.

If ISP's where to implement NAT on their devices as the default install,
and most can easily do it, it would save a lot of people from a lot of
problems, and it would not cost the ISP anything.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2004 8:57:45 AM

That's true, because you will already have much of the upgrade.

But my view of things is that I WANT the whole 270 meg file, for burning
to a CD where I can then use it on other systems of unknown windows XP
version (home, Pro, media Center, tablet PC) and "windows update" status.

So say the windows update version only ends up downloading 90MB of the
total 270 MB. I don't want to have to do that ???? times. Give the the
CD, once, and I'm set.

Also, with the full 270 MB version, you can make a "slipstream" Windows
XP install CD that has SP2 integrated. You cant do that via windows update.

peter wrote:

> As I understood the size thing ...if you are up to date on your updates it will
> not be as large an update as the 270mb that you download
> which has all the updates in it since SP1
> ?????
> peter
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>Re: "The version that will be on the XP update site will not be as large"
>>
>>That's not exactly right.
>>
>>The windows update version will download a 1.6 MB program that will examine
>>your system and then further download only and exactly what your system needs.
>>
>>The 270 MB version has everything in it that ANY system might need. All files
>>that the 1.6 MB program might possibly download and install.
>>
>>BUT, what actually ends up getting installed on any given system under these
>>two installation schemes is EXACTLY the same, in the end. There is no
>>difference.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2004 7:49:39 PM

Barry,

Thank you for your advice and the information.

I download the full 278MB file and have installed it on two of my three PCs
with no problems.

Since I have a hardware firewall (SonicWALL/10), I disabled the Windows
Firewall. It's my understanding that with the SonicWALL, I don't need the
Windows Firewall. Right?

I like the IE popup blocker (which I didn't have before), and also that OE
now refuses to display images. So much of the spam I get has embedded
images. While most get deleted right away, it's still a nice safeguard that
OE now has this feature.

John

> Yes, it's been out for over a week (came out last Tuesday). You can get
> it here:

> In my opinion, the update itself is near perfect and bug free.
> Basically all of the issues fall into one of two categories:
>
> 1. The firewall blocks ports needed by some applications. However it's
> easy to unblock them, and they are unblocked only for that application.
>
> 2. A few -- very few -- programs truly have issues, but from what I've
> seen, the bugs are in those programs, not the service pack, and updates
> for those programs are being released very, very quickly (most are
> already out).
>
> The link above is to the FULL SP2 update. It's bigger than most people
> will need, but it is the final "gold" release. What's not out yet are
> both various distribution channels (e.g. you can't get the update
> "delivered" via Windows Update -- yet), and the "breakdown" smaller
> versions of the service pack for only specific versions of Windows (only
> Home, only Pro, only Tablet PC, only Media PC, etc.). However the link
> above has EVERYTHING, and will update an original Windows XP (without
> even SP1) to SP2 with every security patch and update (including
> DirectX, Windows Media Player and IE) as of last week. It also works
> for any version of Windows that had been fully or partially updated. In
> short, it's the one you want when you want the very best [all of the
> scary "network and system administrator only" warnings at the microsoft
> downloage page above not withstanding].
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2004 4:58:57 PM

In article <r8idnSRk2uElTLrcRVn-tA@lmi.net>, nomail@nomail.com says...
> I like the IE popup blocker (which I didn't have before), and also that OE
> now refuses to display images. So much of the spam I get has embedded
> images. While most get deleted right away, it's still a nice safeguard that
> OE now has this feature.

If you like the pop-up blocker in IE, try FireFox from Mozilla, it will
also block images not from the root web site, pop-ups, etc.... I've been
running it on customers systems and my own for over a month and have yet
to find a site that doesn't work with it.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2004 4:58:58 PM

The IE popup blobker is nice, because it is part of IE.

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> In article <r8idnSRk2uElTLrcRVn-tA@lmi.net>, nomail@nomail.com says...
>> I like the IE popup blocker (which I didn't have before), and also that
>> OE
>> now refuses to display images. So much of the spam I get has embedded
>> images. While most get deleted right away, it's still a nice safeguard
>> that
>> OE now has this feature.
>
> If you like the pop-up blocker in IE, try FireFox from Mozilla, it will
> also block images not from the root web site, pop-ups, etc.... I've been
> running it on customers systems and my own for over a month and have yet
> to find a site that doesn't work with it.

> spamfree999@rrohio.com
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2004 8:52:59 PM

In article <10ihjdloh0pqn29@corp.supernews.com>, sept1967@highstream
says...
> The IE popup blobker is nice, because it is part of IE.

But FireFox is nice because it doesn't expose you to the know and
unknown things that IE does on most users system. Don't get me wrong, I
make a lot of money installing Win based servers and workstations, but
FireFox has become the new standard for our clients - the only catch is
for ones that need active-x controls on custom web apps.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2004 11:55:28 PM

"Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream(remove).net> wrote in message
> The IE popup blobker is nice, because it is part of IE.
>
> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > In article <r8idnSRk2uElTLrcRVn-tA@lmi.net>, nomail@nomail.com says...
> >> I like the IE popup blocker (which I didn't have before), and also
that
> >> OE
> >> now refuses to display images. So much of the spam I get has
embedded
> >> images. While most get deleted right away, it's still a nice
safeguard
> >> that
> >> OE now has this feature.
> >
> > If you like the pop-up blocker in IE, try FireFox from Mozilla, it
will
> > also block images not from the root web site, pop-ups, etc.... I've
been
> > running it on customers systems and my own for over a month and have
yet
> > to find a site that doesn't work with it.
The blocking features of FireFox, are part of it as well. The big
advantage it has, is that you get rid of IE completely...

Best Wishes
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 5:28:31 AM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:58:57 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:

>In article <r8idnSRk2uElTLrcRVn-tA@lmi.net>, nomail@nomail.com says...
>> I like the IE popup blocker (which I didn't have before), and also that OE
>> now refuses to display images. So much of the spam I get has embedded
>> images. While most get deleted right away, it's still a nice safeguard that
>> OE now has this feature.
>
>If you like the pop-up blocker in IE, try FireFox from Mozilla,

I am using it but it's full of bugs. When I need reliable browsing, I
must go back to Internet explorer.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 5:28:32 AM

In article <n2iii0hhpf34v6vug7pgnvvpkmd8ahmal1@4ax.com>,
nospam@nowhere.net says...
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:58:57 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <r8idnSRk2uElTLrcRVn-tA@lmi.net>, nomail@nomail.com says...
> >> I like the IE popup blocker (which I didn't have before), and also that OE
> >> now refuses to display images. So much of the spam I get has embedded
> >> images. While most get deleted right away, it's still a nice safeguard that
> >> OE now has this feature.
> >
> >If you like the pop-up blocker in IE, try FireFox from Mozilla,
>
> I am using it but it's full of bugs. When I need reliable browsing, I
> must go back to Internet explorer.

If you are using 0.9.3 I would like to know "what bugs" you've seen,
I've got it installed on a BUNCH of workstation in offices and have yet
to find a user that even knows about the switch - meaning that
everything is working and they are not complaining.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 4:18:10 PM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:40:46 -0400, "Rick & Darlene"
<Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote:

>Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
>
>Rick

It has wrecked the onboard LAN in my A7V8X. I had to put in a PCI LAN
card. Others, not all of them Asus users, have reported similar
problems. In my case, the Broadcom LAN gets given an inappropriate IP
address.

SP2 has also screwed up my Panasonic laser printer. Gives constant
"Paper jam" errors in Micros**t Word. Fine with everything else!

MK

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 4:25:26 PM

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:41:20 +0100, "Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote:

>What has XP SP2 got to do with this group??

Er, because people who use Asus motherboards use Windows and want to
know if there are any specific issues they should consider? Like why
has SP2 killed on onboard LAN? That is onboard as in a part of the
Asus Motherboard.

I certainly come here first when wanting to troubleshoot problems with
my Asus PCs. You get a better class of nerd here.

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 5:06:57 PM

On 23-Aug-2004, kenward@ukgateway.net wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:40:46 -0400, "Rick & Darlene"
> Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
> Rick

I installed sp2 on 3 computers in my house. One with
a K8V, 1 with a A7N8X rev 1.04, and a Dell (P4 but dont know
what motherboard) and so far, no problems on any of the
three. Been running sp2 on these for about 2 weeks now.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 5:36:01 PM

nospam@nowhere.net wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:58:57 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:
>

>>In article <r8idnSRk2uElTLrcRVn-tA@lmi.net>, nomail@nomail.com says...
>>
>>>I like the IE popup blocker (which I didn't have before), and also that OE
>>>now refuses to display images. So much of the spam I get has embedded
>>>images. While most get deleted right away, it's still a nice safeguard that
>>>OE now has this feature.
>>
>>If you like the pop-up blocker in IE, try FireFox from Mozilla,
>

> I am using it but it's full of bugs. When I need reliable browsing, I
> must go back to Internet explorer.

Your backwards.

I am using /IE/ but it's full of bugs, When I need reliable browsing, I
must go back to FireFox.

Unless you consider running a buggy, insecure POS that will help hackers
0wn your machine 'reliable'

Windows is reliable! It auto-updates with the latest virus in 20 minutes
or less (when unpatched) !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 9:08:59 PM

Ditto.
Downloaded the full SP2 (266mb),
Installed on P4P800-VM , and a P4R800-VM , about 2 weeks now, no problems.

"Mark Timerding" <mtimerding@fuse.net> wrote in message

> On 23-Aug-2004, kenward@ukgateway.net wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:40:46 -0400, "Rick & Darlene"
>> Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
>> Rick
>
> I installed sp2 on 3 computers in my house. One with
> a K8V, 1 with a A7N8X rev 1.04, and a Dell (P4 but dont know
> what motherboard) and so far, no problems on any of the
> three. Been running sp2 on these for about 2 weeks now.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 12:36:24 AM

In article <dfkji0p9ic5iddam8n3av9tbaf1b3abjdk@4ax.com>,
kenward@ukgateway.net says...
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:40:46 -0400, "Rick & Darlene"
> <Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
> >
> >Rick
> >

> It has wrecked the onboard LAN in my A7V8X. I had to put in a PCI LAN
> card. Others, not all of them Asus users, have reported similar
> problems. In my case, the Broadcom LAN gets given an inappropriate IP
> address.
>
> SP2 has also screwed up my Panasonic laser printer. Gives constant
> "Paper jam" errors in Micros**t Word. Fine with everything else!

What you describe is completely impossible - a driver can not hard the
hardware of your network card or cause your printer to JAM.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
August 24, 2004 1:58:39 AM

In article <MPG.1b942151e9ef50ed989739@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
void@nowhere.com says...
> In article <dfkji0p9ic5iddam8n3av9tbaf1b3abjdk@4ax.com>,
> kenward@ukgateway.net says...
> > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:40:46 -0400, "Rick & Darlene"
> > <Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
> > >
> > >Rick
> > >

> > It has wrecked the onboard LAN in my A7V8X. I had to put in a PCI LAN
> > card. Others, not all of them Asus users, have reported similar
> > problems. In my case, the Broadcom LAN gets given an inappropriate IP
> > address.
> >
> > SP2 has also screwed up my Panasonic laser printer. Gives constant
> > "Paper jam" errors in Micros**t Word. Fine with everything else!
>
> What you describe is completely impossible - a driver can not hard the
> hardware of your network card or cause your printer to JAM.

While it is possible that the drivers for the network card might need to
be reinstalled after sp2 the paper jam is comical. Did the weather
change after you installed SP2? Is it raining now and it wasn't raining
before? Blame that on Microsoft too.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 4:38:34 AM

Here's a good site for info on SP2 written by Jim Fisher MS-MVP, who has
put this together following the end of the beta test ... it's still a
'work in progress' but it should answer a lot of your questions.
http://jmfmvps.mvps.org/SP2.htm
--
Good Luck ... Fred

Rick & Darlene wrote:
> Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
>
> Rick
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 8:24:15 AM

I've installed it about a dozen machines, with no problems.

I believe that your experience is unusual in the extreme.

I think it's a wonderful update, nearly bug free. Relatively few
programs have problems with it, and in my view the problem is in those
programs, not SP2. Port adjustments to the firewall, when required, are
generally "single-click" permissions to unblock (you don't even have to
know the port numbers).

kenward@ukgateway.net wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:40:46 -0400, "Rick & Darlene"
> <Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?
>>
>>Rick
>>

> It has wrecked the onboard LAN in my A7V8X. I had to put in a PCI LAN
> card. Others, not all of them Asus users, have reported similar
> problems. In my case, the Broadcom LAN gets given an inappropriate IP
> address.
>
> SP2 has also screwed up my Panasonic laser printer. Gives constant
> "Paper jam" errors in Micros**t Word. Fine with everything else!
>
> MK

> Michael Kenward Words for sale
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 10:46:28 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:58:39 GMT, John <john@nospam.com> wrote:

>In article <MPG.1b942151e9ef50ed989739@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
>void@nowhere.com says...
>> In article <dfkji0p9ic5iddam8n3av9tbaf1b3abjdk@4ax.com>,
>> kenward@ukgateway.net says...

>> > It has wrecked the onboard LAN in my A7V8X. I had to put in a PCI LAN
>> > card. Others, not all of them Asus users, have reported similar
>> > problems. In my case, the Broadcom LAN gets given an inappropriate IP
>> > address.
>> >
>> > SP2 has also screwed up my Panasonic laser printer. Gives constant
>> > "Paper jam" errors in Micros**t Word. Fine with everything else!
>>
>> What you describe is completely impossible - a driver can not hard the
>> hardware of your network card or cause your printer to JAM.
>>

>While it is possible that the drivers for the network card might need to
>be reinstalled after sp2 the paper jam is comical. Did the weather
>change after you installed SP2? Is it raining now and it wasn't raining
>before? Blame that on Microsoft too.

One suggestion is that the new USB drivers installed by SP2 have
screwed up more than one bit of hardware.

Before you dismiss such suggestions, you might care to do a bit of
research. Were you, for example, the owner of a Psion Wavefinder, you
would certainly know that SP2 can screw up hardware. As to my printer,
I can only say that between not having problems and having them the
only change I made was to apply SP2.

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2004 2:29:30 AM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:36:24 GMT, in
(alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus) Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:

> What you describe is completely impossible - a driver can not hard the
> hardware of your network card or cause your printer to JAM.

Since I installed SP2, TWO planes have crashed in Russia - surely that
can't be coincidence?

--
Charlie
Anonymous

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:46:28 +0100, in
<jjvmi0l8i8ij1quumql3m4nm81ja7pihuj@4ax.com>
(alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus) kenward@ukgateway.net wrote:

> Before you dismiss such suggestions, you might care to do a bit of
> research. Were you, for example, the owner of a Psion Wavefinder, you
> would certainly know that SP2 can screw up hardware. As to my printer,
> I can only say that between not having problems and having them the
> only change I made was to apply SP2.

A bit of research has suggested to me that the Psion Wavefinder's
problems predate SP2

http://www.spidersweb.freeserve.co.uk/dab/wffaq/#Whatar...
http://mobileopera.com/wavefinder
http://www.wavefinder.co.uk/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000186.html

Wheras googling for

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UT...
or
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=psion+wavefinder+XP+se...

Returns no actual reports specific to psion wavefinder Windows XP
Service pack 2 problems. Where can I find information about SP2
screwing up hardware?

As for your printer, have you tried rolling back (de-installing SP2)
to see if that cures the paper jams? Or have you tried the printer on
another non-SP2 machine?

If neither of those are possible, or conclusive, try turning the
computer off altogether, or unplugging the connection between the
computer and the printer, and using the printer's self-test function.
That will enable you to rule out any problems with the paper path that
may have occured.

HTH

--
Charlie
Anonymous

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:18:10 +0100, in
<dfkji0p9ic5iddam8n3av9tbaf1b3abjdk@4ax.com>
(alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus) kenward@ukgateway.net wrote:

> It has wrecked the onboard LAN in my A7V8X. I had to put in a PCI LAN
> card. Others, not all of them Asus users, have reported similar
> problems. In my case, the Broadcom LAN gets given an inappropriate IP
> address.

My motherboard is a K8V SE Deluxe which uses Marvell onboard
10/100/1000 LAN. XP SP2 caused me no problems with that hardware.

XP SP2 does close a number of ports by default which will surprise you
if you've not read the documentation: assorted network shares may
dissapear, software that uses ports that have been closed will b0rk,
etc. These symptoms can look a little like NW Hardware issues.

It's difficult to see how the software could fry your LAN. I can see
that the vendor's drivers may have have issues that cause them to stop
working. If you can find a DOS driver for it, you could try booting
from a DOS bootdisk and seeing if you can ping across the interface,
otherwise KNOPPIX might be able to load it (unfortunately it doesn't
see my Marvell), so you can test the issue away from XPSP2

You say the device is being given an inappropriate IP address, which
would imply that the hardware is still working enough to query a DHCP
server, get an address and confgure it. In what way is the address
inappropriate? Where is the DHCP server - is it yours, or your ISP's?

--
Charlie
August 26, 2004 7:12:20 PM

How do you get into the XP firewall system to make manual settings?
I am new to Windows XP (Home Edition)
Thanks
DW
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2004 8:42:36 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:55:27 +0200, Charlie King
<charlie@removethisitsaspamtrap.stopthatitssilly.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:18:10 +0100, in
><dfkji0p9ic5iddam8n3av9tbaf1b3abjdk@4ax.com>
>(alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus) kenward@ukgateway.net wrote:
>
>> It has wrecked the onboard LAN in my A7V8X. I had to put in a PCI LAN
>> card. Others, not all of them Asus users, have reported similar
>> problems. In my case, the Broadcom LAN gets given an inappropriate IP
>> address.
>
>My motherboard is a K8V SE Deluxe which uses Marvell onboard
>10/100/1000 LAN. XP SP2 caused me no problems with that hardware.

-----End Quoted (and cut) Message-----

Thanks. I should also have added that SP2 did not mess up the LAN on
my A78NX-VM motherboard. That came pre-messed, and how I sorted it is
another story.

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2004 8:46:15 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:29:30 +0200, Charlie King
<charlie@removethisitsaspamtrap.stopthatitssilly.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:36:24 GMT, in
><MPG.1b942151e9ef50ed989739@news-server.columbus.rr.com>
>(alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus) Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> What you describe is completely impossible - a driver can not hard the
>> hardware of your network card or cause your printer to JAM.
>
>Since I installed SP2, TWO planes have crashed in Russia - surely that
>can't be coincidence?

If there is a link between your PC and the software on board those
planes, then if I were you I would go into hiding.

In my case, the printer comes with a software interface that talks to
the PC. The printer hardware works just fine. It is just MS Word and
the machine that don't like one another. All other software is working
as it did pre SP2.

Michael Kenward Words for sale
!