A7N8X-E Deluxe into BIOS - then shuts down

A friend just built a computer with an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard.
When you turn it on, sometimes you can boot into the BIOS (via holding down
the Delete key of course), but sometimes it just goes into the screen where
it say "Tab to post" or <can't remember what> to update the BIOS. When we
do get it to go into the BIOS (DEL or the Tab key at some point?!), the
computer only stays on for 30 seconds or less, then shuts down!

I swapped out his brand new Antec 300 watt PS for an Everex 350 PS known to
work, but it still does this. What could be the problem?

Thanks.

"Wes Stebbins" <WesGuitar@neb.rr.com> wrote in message
> A friend just built a computer with an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard.
> When you turn it on, sometimes you can boot into the BIOS (via holding
down
> the Delete key of course), but sometimes it just goes into the screen
where
> it say "Tab to post" or <can't remember what> to update the BIOS. When we
> do get it to go into the BIOS (DEL or the Tab key at some point?!), the
> computer only stays on for 30 seconds or less, then shuts down!

Just a wild guess, but it sounds like the CPU is overheating....

Sounds just like the memory problem I had. Try removing all but 1 stick and
see what happens.

"Wes Stebbins" <WesGuitar@neb.rr.com> wrote in message
> A friend just built a computer with an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard.
> When you turn it on, sometimes you can boot into the BIOS (via holding
down
> the Delete key of course), but sometimes it just goes into the screen
where
> it say "Tab to post" or <can't remember what> to update the BIOS. When we
> do get it to go into the BIOS (DEL or the Tab key at some point?!), the
> computer only stays on for 30 seconds or less, then shuts down!
>
> I swapped out his brand new Antec 300 watt PS for an Everex 350 PS known
> work, but it still does this. What could be the problem?
>
> Thanks.

"Wes Stebbins" <WesGuitar@neb.rr.com> wrote in message
> A friend just built a computer with an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard.
> When you turn it on, sometimes you can boot into the BIOS (via holding
down
> the Delete key of course), but sometimes it just goes into the screen
where
> it say "Tab to post" or <can't remember what> to update the BIOS. When we
> do get it to go into the BIOS (DEL or the Tab key at some point?!), the
> computer only stays on for 30 seconds or less, then shuts down!
>
> I swapped out his brand new Antec 300 watt PS for an Everex 350 PS known
> work, but it still does this. What could be the problem?
>
> Thanks.

KingGuardian is probably correct here..
The heatsink was probably inproperly installed or it's not good enough to be
up to the task.

Andrew

That or you are over clocking. I tryed to over clock last week, just
got a freese in the first 30 seconds on boot. Great fun. Had to reset
the bios to get it working again.

>Just a wild guess, but it sounds like the CPU is overheating....

I can't even get into the BIOS now - starts to boot up - beeps once - then
shuts down. I also have a Radeon 2600 AGP video card.

"Andrew" <aimcnabb@spamfreehotmail.com> wrote in message
> That or you are over clocking. I tryed to over clock last week, just
> got a freese in the first 30 seconds on boot. Great fun. Had to reset
> the bios to get it working again.
>

> >Just a wild guess, but it sounds like the CPU is overheating....

Andrew

according to this site/review, one beep is good