Can I move HD w/XP from P3 system to P4 system?

Hi,

I now have the following system:
P3, 1GHZ
ASUS MB CUV4X-E
1GB RAM
Primary HD: WD 120GB -- WD1200JB
Matrox G450 video card
Fax modem
Second WD HD
Plextor DVD/CD-RW
Windows XP Home

I plan to build a new system as follows:
P4, 3.0GHZ
Intel MB D865PERLL - i865PE chipset
1 or 2 GB RAM
Same HD, video card, fax modem, second HD and DVD drive

Here's my question: Can I simply move my primary HD from the old system to
the new system? Will the new system recognize the HD, and will Windows XP
recognize the new system? I am willing to reformat the HD on the new
system, but I sure would prefer not to have to do that -- reinstalling XP
and all of my applications takes over a day.

Thanks for any help and advice.

John

Greetings --

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are not
transferable to a new motherboard), unless the new motherboard is
virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation
was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a.
in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"John Blaustein" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I now have the following system:
> P3, 1GHZ
> ASUS MB CUV4X-E
> 1GB RAM
> Primary HD: WD 120GB -- WD1200JB
> Matrox G450 video card
> Fax modem
> Second WD HD
> Plextor DVD/CD-RW
> Windows XP Home
>
> I plan to build a new system as follows:
> P4, 3.0GHZ
> Intel MB D865PERLL - i865PE chipset
> 1 or 2 GB RAM
> Same HD, video card, fax modem, second HD and DVD drive
>
> Here's my question: Can I simply move my primary HD from the old
system to
> the new system? Will the new system recognize the HD, and will
Windows XP
> recognize the new system? I am willing to reformat the HD on the
new
> system, but I sure would prefer not to have to do that --
reinstalling XP
> and all of my applications takes over a day.
>
> Thanks for any help and advice.
>
> John

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"John Blaustein" <no@spam.com> wrote in message:

| Hi,
|
| I now have the following system:
| P3, 1GHZ
| ASUS MB CUV4X-E
| 1GB RAM
| Primary HD: WD 120GB -- WD1200JB
| Matrox G450 video card
| Fax modem
| Second WD HD
| Plextor DVD/CD-RW
| Windows XP Home
|
| I plan to build a new system as follows:
| P4, 3.0GHZ
| Intel MB D865PERLL - i865PE chipset
| 1 or 2 GB RAM
| Same HD, video card, fax modem, second HD and DVD drive
|
| Here's my question: Can I simply move my primary HD from the old system to
| the new system? Will the new system recognize the HD, and will Windows XP
| recognize the new system? I am willing to reformat the HD on the new
| system, but I sure would prefer not to have to do that -- reinstalling XP
| and all of my applications takes over a day.
|
| Thanks for any help and advice.
|
| John

Thanks Carey and Bruce.

I have a full version (not OEM) of XP that was installed months (or a year
or so) ago, so I should be OK on that. I'll read through everything you
suggested before doing anything. All of my data is fully backup up, so a
reformat wouldn't be the end of the world.

Your help is much appreciated.

John

Greetings --

You're welcome.

Bruce Chambers
--

> Thanks Carey and Bruce.
>
> I have a full version (not OEM) of XP that was installed months (or
a year
> or so) ago, so I should be OK on that. I'll read through everything
you
> suggested before doing anything. All of my data is fully backup up,
so a
> reformat wouldn't be the end of the world.
>
> Your help is much appreciated.
>
> John

As with the posts here, yes you can do an in place upgrade, but
personally, anytime I change from one board to another, I place the
old drive as a slave, get a new/faster/bigger drive for the new "C"
drive, and install fresh, and migrate any critical files over to the
new drive and wipe the old one. I don't like taking all the "baggage"
from one system to a new system. If you tinker around with your
computer like a lot of us do, you install/uninstall all kinds of
software over the course of a year, and it's nice to have a clean
setup on a new box.

Good luck on which ever way you go, I've done the in place upgrade,
and it does work, if done as outlined.

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 18:38:40 -0700, "John Blaustein" <no@spam.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I now have the following system:
>P3, 1GHZ
>ASUS MB CUV4X-E
>1GB RAM
>Primary HD: WD 120GB -- WD1200JB
>Matrox G450 video card
>Fax modem
>Second WD HD
>Plextor DVD/CD-RW
>Windows XP Home
>
>I plan to build a new system as follows:
>P4, 3.0GHZ
>Intel MB D865PERLL - i865PE chipset
>1 or 2 GB RAM
>Same HD, video card, fax modem, second HD and DVD drive
>
>Here's my question: Can I simply move my primary HD from the old system to
>the new system? Will the new system recognize the HD, and will Windows XP
>recognize the new system? I am willing to reformat the HD on the new
>system, but I sure would prefer not to have to do that -- reinstalling XP
>and all of my applications takes over a day.
>
> Thanks for any help and advice.
>
>John

Name withheld by request....

Thanks for your comments.

Ordinarily, I'd agree and go for a reformat and fresh install. However, I
did that very recently when I finally moved from W98SE to XP. It's been
less than a year and my P3 system is working really well. I'm going to use
the same drives on the P4 system as I now have on the P3 system. I'm
considering this move to a P4 system for the added speed -- I do a lot of
Photoshop work. In fact, that's the only app for which I need more speed.
If I can save myself the time needed to reinstall and configure all of my
apps -- to say nothing of updating XP and tweaking it to where I have it
now -- I will be really pleased. So... I'm glad to hear the "in place
upgrade" does work. I will follow the instructions very carefully.

John