reactivation for computer glitch??

I have an intermittant hard-freeze problem on my computer
that may require replacing the motherboard and/or
processor. I have already replaced the network card
because the onboard card on the motherboard quit. I am
concerned that after I fix it, NONE of my programs will
work and I will have to activate all of them again. Does
this mean I will have to buy new licenses??? I have so
many programs, this would be a killer!

Any help/advice much appreciated!

Linda Day
1 answer Last reply
More about reactivation computer glitch

    Greetings --

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are not
    transferable to a new motherboard), unless the new motherboard is
    virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
    version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation
    was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a.
    in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    important data before starting.

    This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
    Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
    days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call. You
    shouldn't have to buy a new license.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Linda" <lday@daycreative.com> wrote in message
    > I have an intermittant hard-freeze problem on my computer
    > that may require replacing the motherboard and/or
    > processor. I have already replaced the network card
    > because the onboard card on the motherboard quit. I am
    > concerned that after I fix it, NONE of my programs will
    > work and I will have to activate all of them again. Does
    > this mean I will have to buy new licenses??? I have so
    > many programs, this would be a killer!
    >
    > Any help/advice much appreciated!
    >
    > Linda Day

Computers Motherboards Windows XP