A7N8X-EC Rev 1.01 Deluxe vs 2800+Barton

jay

[Problem Description]
When trying to set this CPU up the motherboard will boot but goes into a
endless reset cycle when using the 166 x 12.5 Standard multiplyier...what is
going wrong?

The whole thing works like a champ @ 12.5 x 133

NVSystem utility says CPU is reading Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0

[Product Information]
*Product Type : Motherboard
*Product Model : A7N8X-E Deluxe
Place of Purchase : newegg
*Date of Purchase : 2004/5/7

[Motherboard Specification]
*Motherboard Revision : 1.01
*Motherboard BIOS Revision : 1012-E

[VGA Card Specification]
*VGA Card Vendor : MSI
*VGA Card Model : fx-5200-vt128
*VGA Card Chipset : Nvidia fx 5200
*VGA Card Driver : Latest

[CPU Specification]
*CPU Vendor : AMD
*CPU Type : Socket A
*CPU Speed : 2800+ / Barton

[Memory Specification]
*Memory Vendor : Adata
*Memory Model : 32Mx64 DDR400 x 2
*Memory Capacity : Total 512

[HDD Specification]
HDD Vendor : Segate
HDD Model :
HDD Capacity : 80

[Add-on Card Specificatio]
Add-on Card Vendor :
Add-on Card Type :
Add-on Card Model :

*Operating System : Win XP Pro SP1a

Paul

Splendid

In article <10ic2lr21grld44@corp.supernews.com>, "Jay" <jay@jqy.com> wrote:

> [Problem Description]
> When trying to set this CPU up the motherboard will boot but goes into a
> endless reset cycle when using the 166 x 12.5 Standard multiplyier...what is
> going wrong?
>
> The whole thing works like a champ @ 12.5 x 133
>
> NVSystem utility says CPU is reading Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0

<< random snippage >>
> *Product Model : A7N8X-E Deluxe
> *Motherboard Revision : 1.01
> *Motherboard BIOS Revision : 1012-E
> *VGA Card Vendor : MSI
> *VGA Card Model : fx-5200-vt128
> *CPU Speed : 2800+ / Barton
> *Memory Vendor : Adata
> *Memory Model : 32Mx64 DDR400 x 2
> *Memory Capacity : Total 512
> HDD Vendor : Segate
> HDD Capacity : 80
> Add-on Card Vendor :
> Add-on Card Type :
> Add-on Card Model :
> *Operating System : Win XP Pro SP1a

By "endless reset cycle", do you mean you are getting part way into
Windows and the computer reboots again ? Or, are you talking about a
problem happening while the BIOS is still executing the POST
routines ?

Try "Memory Frequency" [Sync] or [100%].

Run memtest86 from memtest.org, with the motherboard using its
current settings, and then with "Memory Frequency" [Sync],
and see if there is a difference in the error rate. Nforce2
likes the memory to run in sync with the FSB of the processor,
for some memory configurations. For example, if you pull one
stick of memory, and leave the BIOS the way it was, you may
be able to boot without changing the setting.

It could have something to do with power, in that the higher setting
would draw more power from the PSU, and maybe the board is resetting
when the processor runs for short intervals at 100%.

Describe the symptoms in more detail, in case I've got it wrong.

Paul

jay

> By "endless reset cycle", do you mean you are getting part way into
> Windows and the computer reboots again ? Or, are you talking about a
> problem happening while the BIOS is still executing the POST
> routines ?
>
> Try "Memory Frequency" [Sync] or [100%].
>
> Run memtest86 from memtest.org, with the motherboard using its
> current settings, and then with "Memory Frequency" [Sync],
> and see if there is a difference in the error rate. Nforce2
> likes the memory to run in sync with the FSB of the processor,
> for some memory configurations. For example, if you pull one
> stick of memory, and leave the BIOS the way it was, you may
> be able to boot without changing the setting.
>
> It could have something to do with power, in that the higher setting
> would draw more power from the PSU, and maybe the board is resetting
> when the processor runs for short intervals at 100%.
>
> Describe the symptoms in more detail, in case I've got it wrong.
>
> Paul

I think it is right as it starts loading windows.....Power supply is a Antec
TruPower 420....so I doubt its that....

As a side note in the beginning it wouldn't even get to windows it just
wouldn't post, just lock up and I would have to cut power to mobo and it
would boot in "safe speed" mode.
So my next move was to dismount heatsink, clean proc and HS, reapply compund
(Artic Silver). And updated the BIOS to 1012-E this allowed me to boot @ 133
bus x 12.5.
This is as far as I have gotten....As for the memory (Supposedly) is the
same. Thanks for the help so far.

Jay