A7N8X-X STR (S3) USB keyboard mice trouble

Hello,

Has anyone successfully gotten STR (S3) to work with USB mouse and keyboard,
specifically Microsoft Wireless Natural Keyboard and Wireless Intellimouse
Explorer 2.0?

I recently upgraded to an A7N8X-X motherboard with Athlon XP2000+ processor.
Latest BIOS 1011 flashed. The 3 USB jumpers for +5VSB are enabled. The BIOS
is all setup for STR (S3).

Through Windows XP Pro (SP1) device manager, both keyboard and mice have
been configured to wake up the computer.

The basic problem is that the computer fails to enter S3 when Windows is
configured for wakeup on those peripherals. From the sound of the fans, it's
probable, the computer is in S1 even though the BIOS is setup for S3.

On the side note, when the PS2 connector for the wireless base unit is
connected to the computer, S3 works fine and so does keyboard power up
(thats with the +5VSB keyboard jumper enabled).

Lastly, the latest NVidia nForce2 drivers were downloaded and installed. Is
this a mistake?

What's going on?

Thank you.
Ted
10 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x keyboard mice trouble

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 02:05:06 -0400, "Ted Ho" <nospam.shin_fang@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Has anyone successfully gotten STR (S3) to work with USB mouse and keyboard,
    >specifically Microsoft Wireless Natural Keyboard and Wireless Intellimouse
    >Explorer 2.0?
    >
    >I recently upgraded to an A7N8X-X motherboard with Athlon XP2000+ processor.
    >Latest BIOS 1011 flashed. The 3 USB jumpers for +5VSB are enabled. The BIOS
    >is all setup for STR (S3).
    >
    >Through Windows XP Pro (SP1) device manager, both keyboard and mice have
    >been configured to wake up the computer.
    >
    >The basic problem is that the computer fails to enter S3 when Windows is
    >configured for wakeup on those peripherals. From the sound of the fans, it's
    >probable, the computer is in S1 even though the BIOS is setup for S3.
    >
    >On the side note, when the PS2 connector for the wireless base unit is
    >connected to the computer, S3 works fine and so does keyboard power up
    >(thats with the +5VSB keyboard jumper enabled).
    >
    >Lastly, the latest NVidia nForce2 drivers were downloaded and installed. Is
    >this a mistake?
    >
    >What's going on?
    >
    >Thank you.
    >Ted

    Hi first there is no 1011 bios on the asus web site there is only the version 1010
    that support the new CPU called Sempron that support 64bits instruction.
    http://www.varbusiness.com/sections/news/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=26100339
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=9882

    Here is the link to recover the right bios
    http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X-X

    on the asus web site they've made a new version of the program that flash the bios.
    Awdflash BIOS update tool V8.24B

    I would like to know why?

    Hello,

    I used an ASUS utility for Windows called ASUSUpdate version 5.28.1 to flash
    version 1010. Interestingly enough, using another ASUS utility called Asus
    PC Probe, the BIOS information reads 1011. However, on boot up the BIOS
    version reads 1010.

    I'm still absolutely puzzled why USB mouse and keyboard wakeup fail to work
    correctly in S3 mode. Does anyone have this working with their A7N8X-X?

    TIA,
    Ted.

    "Dreamaker" <onceuponatime@theEnd.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 02:05:06 -0400, "Ted Ho"
    <nospam.shin_fang@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >Has anyone successfully gotten STR (S3) to work with USB mouse and
    keyboard,
    > >specifically Microsoft Wireless Natural Keyboard and Wireless
    Intellimouse
    > >Explorer 2.0?
    > >
    > >I recently upgraded to an A7N8X-X motherboard with Athlon XP2000+
    processor.
    > >Latest BIOS 1011 flashed. The 3 USB jumpers for +5VSB are enabled. The
    BIOS
    > >is all setup for STR (S3).
    > >
    > >Through Windows XP Pro (SP1) device manager, both keyboard and mice have
    > >been configured to wake up the computer.
    > >
    > >The basic problem is that the computer fails to enter S3 when Windows is
    > >configured for wakeup on those peripherals. From the sound of the fans,
    it's
    > >probable, the computer is in S1 even though the BIOS is setup for S3.
    > >
    > >On the side note, when the PS2 connector for the wireless base unit is
    > >connected to the computer, S3 works fine and so does keyboard power up
    > >(thats with the +5VSB keyboard jumper enabled).
    > >
    > >Lastly, the latest NVidia nForce2 drivers were downloaded and installed.
    Is
    > >this a mistake?
    > >
    > >What's going on?
    > >
    > >Thank you.
    > >Ted
    > >

    > Hi first there is no 1011 bios on the asus web site there is only the
    version 1010
    > that support the new CPU called Sempron that support 64bits instruction.

    http://www.varbusiness.com/sections/news/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=26100339
    > http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=9882
    >
    > Here is the link to recover the right bios
    > http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X-X
    >
    > on the asus web site they've made a new version of the program that flash
    the bios.
    > Awdflash BIOS update tool V8.24B
    >
    > I would like to know why?

    Well,

    I found some really excellent documentation on USB wakeup. Ironically, it's
    from the Intel Website.

    http://www.intel.com/update/archive/psn/psn06991.pdf

    Looking at the wireless base station, the current draw is 2.0A in
    operational state while the figure of 100mA is given in standby state. This
    is well in the operational parameters of the Antec SL350 +5VSB maximum load
    rating of 2.0A.

    Anyone have a hypothesis?

    TIA
    Ted.

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:59:11 -0400, "Ted Ho" <nospam.shin_fang@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I used an ASUS utility for Windows called ASUSUpdate version 5.28.1 to flash
    >version 1010. Interestingly enough, using another ASUS utility called Asus
    >PC Probe, the BIOS information reads 1011. However, on boot up the BIOS
    >version reads 1010.

    True, i did update my bios this morning and find out the same thing as you say.

    >I'm still absolutely puzzled why USB mouse and keyboard wakeup fail to work
    >correctly in S3 mode. Does anyone have this working with their A7N8X-X?

    I think it related to the service pack 1 of windows xp. Try to install it and see what it does.
    that is for the usb1.1 and 2 port to works.
    after re-install your nforce driver and see what was missing... Ie: you must have tree file related
    to the usb concentrator and tree usb controller, all that, in your file system management.

    and in the peripheral system tab see if you have the nvidia nf2 400 memory controller... just in
    case if it's missing???

    >TIA,
    >Ted.

    Hello Dreamaker,

    Windows XP SP1 is already installed. The newest Nvidia nForce2 unified
    drivers are installed (they're really cool). Nothing is wrong appears in the
    device manager and there is an nvidia nf2 400 memory controller.

    Does anyone have wake up from STR (S3) with USB keyboard or mice working?

    Dreamaker wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:59:11 -0400, "Ted Ho" <nospam.shin_fang@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I used an ASUS utility for Windows called ASUSUpdate version 5.28.1 to flash
    >>version 1010. Interestingly enough, using another ASUS utility called Asus
    >>PC Probe, the BIOS information reads 1011. However, on boot up the BIOS
    >>version reads 1010.
    >

    > True, i did update my bios this morning and find out the same thing as you say.
    >

    >>I'm still absolutely puzzled why USB mouse and keyboard wakeup fail to work
    >>correctly in S3 mode. Does anyone have this working with their A7N8X-X?
    >

    > I think it related to the service pack 1 of windows xp. Try to install it and see what it does.
    > that is for the usb1.1 and 2 port to works.
    > after re-install your nforce driver and see what was missing... Ie: you must have tree file related
    > to the usb concentrator and tree usb controller, all that, in your file system management.
    >
    > and in the peripheral system tab see if you have the nvidia nf2 400 memory controller... just in
    > case if it's missing???
    >

    >>TIA,
    >>Ted.

    Would one be correct in assuming that you have changed the appropriate
    jumper for the USB port that the controller is attached to, from +5v to
    +5VSB?

    Hi Rob,

    everything is +5VSB enabled; the 3 USB controllers and the PS/2 keyboard
    controller. The BIOS is set up correctly for STR (S3), as are the Windows
    devices. I'm totally befuddled.

    Does anyone have STR with USB mouse and keyboard working?

    Ted.

    Ted Ho wrote:
    > Hi Rob,
    >
    > everything is +5VSB enabled; the 3 USB controllers and the PS/2 keyboard
    > controller. The BIOS is set up correctly for STR (S3), as are the Windows
    > devices. I'm totally befuddled.
    >
    > Does anyone have STR with USB mouse and keyboard working?
    >
    > Ted.

    Ted,
    The only other thing I can suggest, is verifying that the box to "Allow
    this item to wake comp. from standby" is checked on the Property pages
    of the USB Root Hubs and the Keyboard/Mouse hardware items' Power
    Management Tabs in the Device Manager.

    Hi Rob,

    The USB Root Hub "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standy" is
    greyed out and inaccessible. Only "Allow the computer to turn off this
    device to save power is checkable. Does your USB Root Hub allow you to check
    "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"?

    > Ted Ho wrote:
    > > Hi Rob,
    > >
    > > everything is +5VSB enabled; the 3 USB controllers and the PS/2 keyboard
    > > controller. The BIOS is set up correctly for STR (S3), as are the
    Windows
    > > devices. I'm totally befuddled.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have STR with USB mouse and keyboard working?
    > >
    > > Ted.
    > >

    > Ted,
    > The only other thing I can suggest, is verifying that the box to "Allow
    > this item to wake comp. from standby" is checked on the Property pages
    > of the USB Root Hubs and the Keyboard/Mouse hardware items' Power
    > Management Tabs in the Device Manager.

    Well,

    I researched more. Nowhere does it say, the A7N8X-X support wake from S3
    from USB. I must therefore conclude the A7N8X-X can only be woken up from
    USB from S1 state. Anyone else found different?

    Ted.

    "Ted Ho" <nospam.shin_fang@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Has anyone successfully gotten STR (S3) to work with USB mouse and
    keyboard,
    > specifically Microsoft Wireless Natural Keyboard and Wireless Intellimouse
    > Explorer 2.0?
    >
    > I recently upgraded to an A7N8X-X motherboard with Athlon XP2000+
    processor.
    > Latest BIOS 1011 flashed. The 3 USB jumpers for +5VSB are enabled. The
    BIOS
    > is all setup for STR (S3).
    >
    > Through Windows XP Pro (SP1) device manager, both keyboard and mice have
    > been configured to wake up the computer.
    >
    > The basic problem is that the computer fails to enter S3 when Windows is
    > configured for wakeup on those peripherals. From the sound of the fans,
    it's
    > probable, the computer is in S1 even though the BIOS is setup for S3.
    >
    > On the side note, when the PS2 connector for the wireless base unit is
    > connected to the computer, S3 works fine and so does keyboard power up
    > (thats with the +5VSB keyboard jumper enabled).
    >
    > Lastly, the latest NVidia nForce2 drivers were downloaded and installed.
    Is
    > this a mistake?
    >
    > What's going on?
    >
    > Thank you.