P4C800-E Deluxe with SATA no safe mode

I have just built a new system and after installing Windows, attempts to
enter Safe Mode cause the system to reboot. This occurs just after the line
where AGP440 is loaded. Normal mode works well, but occasionally the system
resets after running certain programs. The installation went without a
glitch, originally I installed by formatting the full drive capacity to
NTFS. I later used Partition Magic 8 to split this to C: 50Gb and D: the
remainder, both being NTFS. The Safe Mode problem still persisted.

As a side, I was also getting Security Descriptor errors reported in Norton
Systemworks 2003. Reading that a drive converted to FAT32 and back to NTFS
might resolve this issue, I did just that and the security descriptor
problem was solved.

This box needs to be reliable for business use. Any advice please?

Windows XP Pro SP1 (OEM)
P4C800-E Deluxe, BIOS V1015
Single Maxtor SATA 160Gb 8Mb cache (6Y160M0) on Intel SATA port non-RAID
(Reported as Third IDE master)
ASUS A9200SE 128Mb graphics
1Gb Corsair TwinX RAM (PC3200)
DVD player & CD-RW on Secondary IDE
P4 Northwood 2.6GHz

Thanks, Steve
7 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 deluxe sata safe mode

    Turn off the 'automatically reboot' option in the advanced system
    properties.
    This will let the pc blue screen and it should tell you what is upsetting
    the os.
    HTH
    Brian

    "Steve Gibbs" <lightsource4_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | I have just built a new system and after installing Windows, attempts to
    | enter Safe Mode cause the system to reboot. This occurs just after the
    line
    | where AGP440 is loaded. Normal mode works well, but occasionally the
    system
    | resets after running certain programs. The installation went without a
    | glitch, originally I installed by formatting the full drive capacity to
    | NTFS. I later used Partition Magic 8 to split this to C: 50Gb and D: the
    | remainder, both being NTFS. The Safe Mode problem still persisted.
    |
    | As a side, I was also getting Security Descriptor errors reported in
    Norton
    | Systemworks 2003. Reading that a drive converted to FAT32 and back to NTFS
    | might resolve this issue, I did just that and the security descriptor
    | problem was solved.
    |
    | This box needs to be reliable for business use. Any advice please?
    |
    | Windows XP Pro SP1 (OEM)
    | P4C800-E Deluxe, BIOS V1015
    | Single Maxtor SATA 160Gb 8Mb cache (6Y160M0) on Intel SATA port non-RAID
    | (Reported as Third IDE master)
    | ASUS A9200SE 128Mb graphics
    | 1Gb Corsair TwinX RAM (PC3200)
    | DVD player & CD-RW on Secondary IDE
    | P4 Northwood 2.6GHz
    |
    | Thanks, Steve

    <snip>
    > As a side, I was also getting Security Descriptor errors reported in
    Norton
    > Systemworks 2003. Reading that a drive converted to FAT32 and back to NTFS
    > might resolve this issue, I did just that and the security descriptor
    > problem was solved.

    No solution for your problem, but you do realize that a drive converted to
    NTFS from FAT is not running as well as a drive originally formatted as
    NTFS. I don't know what the difference is, but I've seen it mentioned in a
    few places.

    "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > > As a side, I was also getting Security Descriptor errors reported in
    > Norton
    > > Systemworks 2003. Reading that a drive converted to FAT32 and back to
    NTFS
    > > might resolve this issue, I did just that and the security descriptor
    > > problem was solved.
    >
    > No solution for your problem, but you do realize that a drive converted
    > NTFS from FAT is not running as well as a drive originally formatted as
    > NTFS. I don't know what the difference is, but I've seen it mentioned in
    > few places.
    The MFT can become fragmented on a converted volume (a native one should
    prevent this), and the allocation unit, is usually smaller than is optimal
    for performance. Permissions will be slightly different on a converted
    boot volume (the tighter permissions normally applied during an install,
    are not applied when the volume is converted). These will have been lost
    when converting to FAT32.

    Best Wishes

    "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > > As a side, I was also getting Security Descriptor errors reported in
    > Norton
    > > Systemworks 2003. Reading that a drive converted to FAT32 and back to
    NTFS
    > > might resolve this issue, I did just that and the security descriptor
    > > problem was solved.
    >
    > No solution for your problem, but you do realize that a drive converted to
    > NTFS from FAT is not running as well as a drive originally formatted as
    > NTFS. I don't know what the difference is, but I've seen it mentioned in a
    > few places.

    I understand that this could be the reason for the Security Descriptors
    error problem being resolved. Once I've tracked down the problem, I'll
    reformat to native NTFS again.

    Thanks, Steve

    "Roger Hamlett" <rogerspamignored@ttelmah.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message
    > > <snip>
    > > > As a side, I was also getting Security Descriptor errors reported in
    > > Norton
    > > > Systemworks 2003. Reading that a drive converted to FAT32 and back to
    > NTFS
    > > > might resolve this issue, I did just that and the security descriptor
    > > > problem was solved.
    > >
    > > No solution for your problem, but you do realize that a drive converted
    > > NTFS from FAT is not running as well as a drive originally formatted as
    > > NTFS. I don't know what the difference is, but I've seen it mentioned in
    > > few places.
    > The MFT can become fragmented on a converted volume (a native one should
    > prevent this), and the allocation unit, is usually smaller than is optimal
    > for performance. Permissions will be slightly different on a converted
    > boot volume (the tighter permissions normally applied during an install,
    > are not applied when the volume is converted). These will have been lost
    > when converting to FAT32.
    >
    > Best Wishes

    The Safe Mode problem existed before the volume conversion but I'll reformat
    to native once the cause is identified.

    Regards, Steve

    > Turn off the 'automatically reboot' option in the advanced system
    > properties.
    > This will let the pc blue screen and it should tell you what is upsetting
    > the os.
    > HTH
    > Brian

    Excellent idea. Will test this.
    Thanks
    Steve

    "Steve Gibbs" <lightsource4_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have just built a new system and after installing Windows, attempts to
    > enter Safe Mode cause the system to reboot. This occurs just after the
    line
    > where AGP440 is loaded. Normal mode works well, but occasionally the
    system
    > resets after running certain programs. The installation went without a
    > glitch, originally I installed by formatting the full drive capacity to
    > NTFS. I later used Partition Magic 8 to split this to C: 50Gb and D: the
    > remainder, both being NTFS. The Safe Mode problem still persisted.
    >
    > As a side, I was also getting Security Descriptor errors reported in
    Norton
    > Systemworks 2003. Reading that a drive converted to FAT32 and back to NTFS
    > might resolve this issue, I did just that and the security descriptor
    > problem was solved.
    >
    > This box needs to be reliable for business use. Any advice please?
    >
    > Windows XP Pro SP1 (OEM)
    > P4C800-E Deluxe, BIOS V1015
    > Single Maxtor SATA 160Gb 8Mb cache (6Y160M0) on Intel SATA port non-RAID
    > (Reported as Third IDE master)
    > ASUS A9200SE 128Mb graphics
    > 1Gb Corsair TwinX RAM (PC3200)
    > DVD player & CD-RW on Secondary IDE
    > P4 Northwood 2.6GHz
    >
    > Thanks, Steve

    Problem solved. I flashed the BIOS to V1017, disabled RAID in the BIOS
    (forgot this previously), reformatted to native NTFS, reinstalled the OS and
    didn't load any of the motherboard drivers associated with Promise / RAID.
    Now the box is stable and works like a dream. Thanks for everyone's comments
    & suggestions.

    Steve

Asus Safe Mode Motherboards