P5DGC-V Deluxe Auto-reboot

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

So far ASUS at http://helpdesk.asus.com/ has been of no help on this issue.
Perhaps someone here can shed an idea or two.

Condition as put to ASUS:
Problem Subject: System reboots when shutdown. Will not stay off.
System always restarts after being shutdown from OS control. Approximately
30 seconds before system reboots. How do I keep system from rebooting
without disconnecting primary power?
Jumpered USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, USBPW78 in default and alternate
positions per manual page 2-24. Back panel USB connections used. Nothing
connected to USB56, USB78. RJ-45 connected to Netgear FVS-318 on cable
modem. Cannot find a jumper to disable wake on LAN if it exists.

Motherboard Rev.:1.03
BIOS Rev.:1001.022
USB devices connected to 1.1 hub:
HP990C
HP1220C
USB devices connected to 2.0 hub:
Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U

When I disconnet all USB devices and leave LAN connected there has not yet
been a problem.
This is the first ASUS motherboard I have ever have a problem with.

TIA

Paul

Splendid

In article <Xns954DB37F32B3dfnospammeco@203.165.13.101>, David Flick
<df@nospamme.com> wrote:

> So far ASUS at http://helpdesk.asus.com/ has been of no help on this issue.
> Perhaps someone here can shed an idea or two.
>
> Condition as put to ASUS:
> Problem Subject: System reboots when shutdown. Will not stay off.
> System always restarts after being shutdown from OS control. Approximately
> 30 seconds before system reboots. How do I keep system from rebooting
> without disconnecting primary power?
> Jumpered USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, USBPW78 in default and alternate
> positions per manual page 2-24. Back panel USB connections used. Nothing
> connected to USB56, USB78. RJ-45 connected to Netgear FVS-318 on cable
> modem. Cannot find a jumper to disable wake on LAN if it exists.
>
> Motherboard Rev.:1.03
> BIOS Rev.:1001.022
> USB devices connected to 1.1 hub:
> HP990C
> HP1220C
> USB devices connected to 2.0 hub:
> Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U
>
> When I disconnet all USB devices and leave LAN connected there has not yet
> been a problem.
> This is the first ASUS motherboard I have ever have a problem with.
>
> TIA

(First of all, I don't know the answer, so these are just the
things I'd try.)

So, to clarify, you select Shutdown in Windows. Before Windows gets
to the point of actually soft powering off, the computer reboots ?
Or, are you saying, the computer does power off, thirty seconds passes,
and the computer soft powers on again ?

If a driver crashes during the shutdown process, that could cause the
former kind of problem. Have a look in the Event Viewer and see
if any funny looking errors are listed there.

Or perhaps a driver for one of the USB devices is not compatible with
something to do with ACPI ?

I'm sure you've already tried "Restore On AC Power Loss" to [Power Off]
and setting all the "Power On By..." to [Disabled], but they aren't
too likely to help. I would have thought that "Power On By RTC Alarm"
would actually be owned by the OS, in the sense that with ACPI enabled,
the OS should be enabling or disabling that function, and loading
a time into the RTC alarm registers.

I see the P5GDC-V download page item Gdcv1003.zip says:

"Modify the BIOS according to Intel¹s BIOS update"

That doesn't provide a lot of details as to what gets fixed. If you
run out of other things to try, you could try flash updating the
BIOS. That is assuming the board didn't ship with 1003 already
installed.

I tried looking in the forums at Abxzone, but it is still early
for the P5 series boards. Not too much activity yet.

HTH,
Paul

nospam@needed.com (Paul) allegedly wrote in

> In article <Xns954DB37F32B3dfnospammeco@203.165.13.101>, David Flick
> <df@nospamme.com> wrote:
>
>> So far ASUS at http://helpdesk.asus.com/ has been of no help on this
>> issue. Perhaps someone here can shed an idea or two.
[snip]

>> When I disconnet all USB devices and leave LAN connected there has not
>> yet been a problem.
>> This is the first ASUS motherboard I have ever have a problem with.
>>
>> TIA
>
> (First of all, I don't know the answer, so these are just the
> things I'd try.)

[snip]

> HTH,
> Paul

Yes. The system goes to what I understand to be an off condition. HDD
stop spinning, USB devices wink out (LEDs off), no signal to monitor, ...
Time passes and then a bit of Gremlin like magic takes place. The system
comes back to life. If it was a partial shutdown I would be chasing an OS
glitch and bouncing off a dual boot approach with a Linux distro and
WindowsXP Pro. As it is I have already reloaded the OS and kept it
stripped down until the issue is resolved.

By disconnecting all USB devices other than the mouse the problem ceases to
exist. When I power down the system stays off. Thus the reason I started
chasing a Wake on USB condition.

I still cannot find a Wake on LAN (WOL) in the documentation and cannot
spot a WOL jumper on the motherboard. WOL was the first thing I would have
suspected, but disconneting the LAN and leaving USB devices had no positive
effect. The system still reboots.
I cannot find a Wake on USB disable position in the documentation thus far.
Only +5V and +5VSB. +5V is for wake when APM is set to S1 sleep mode (CPU
stopped, DRAM refreshed, system running in low power mode). +5VSB is for
wake when APM is set to S3 (no power to CPU, DRAM in slow refresh, power
supply in reduced power mode) and S4 sleep mode although BIOS does not have
an apparent S4 setting.
All power on options in BIOS are disabled.
APM Config
Power Button Mode [Off]
Restore on AC Power Loss [Off]
Power on by RTC Alarm [Off]
Power On By External Modems [Off]
Power On by PCI Devices [Off}
Power On By PS/2 Mouse [Off}
Power On By PS/2 Keyboard [Off}

I have tried setting Suspend Mode to S1, S3, and Auto (default) without
success and re-jumpering USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, USBPW78 to +5V and +
5VSB at each change. S3 restarts in under 5 seconds if USB devices are
connected.

TIA
Dave

Tim

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

David,

As per Paul's comments +

Check your Scheduled Tasks (Control Panel). You could have one that is
scheduled to run very often do this.

NA for this issues, but Power Loss restart - this is a setting for "UPS
usage". If the power fails while the system is running then it indicates
that it is to restart when the power comes back. This setting is used with a
UPS: the power fails, the power comes back, this will determine if the
system auto re-starts. If you are not using a UPS this should be off
otherwise if you have a bad power brownout, followed by a lot of poor power
(EG in an electrical storm), the system will start and stop like a yo yo and
possibly damage it.

Make sure all Wake On .... are disabled. The system could be restarting from
an external hardware signal EG Telephone ring, Network traffic etc. Turn on
the Wake On.. functions when you know you need them - if ever.

Since you have the NIC going to the Netgear, I would check Wake On LAN is
off first.

- Tim

"David Flick" <df@nospamme.com> wrote in message
> So far ASUS at http://helpdesk.asus.com/ has been of no help on this
> issue.
> Perhaps someone here can shed an idea or two.
>
> Condition as put to ASUS:
> Problem Subject: System reboots when shutdown. Will not stay off.
> System always restarts after being shutdown from OS control.
> Approximately
> 30 seconds before system reboots. How do I keep system from rebooting
> without disconnecting primary power?
> Jumpered USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, USBPW78 in default and alternate
> positions per manual page 2-24. Back panel USB connections used. Nothing
> connected to USB56, USB78. RJ-45 connected to Netgear FVS-318 on cable
> modem. Cannot find a jumper to disable wake on LAN if it exists.
>
> Motherboard Rev.:1.03
> BIOS Rev.:1001.022
> USB devices connected to 1.1 hub:
> HP990C
> HP1220C
> USB devices connected to 2.0 hub:
> Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U
>
> When I disconnet all USB devices and leave LAN connected there has not yet
> been a problem.
> This is the first ASUS motherboard I have ever have a problem with.
>
> TIA

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

Tim,

Thanks for the response, but...

Server grade UPS is stable according to my AC line analyzer/recorder. It
is nice being an Electronics Technician with test equipment available. :)

As previously stated I cannot find a Wake on LAN (WOL) in the documentation
and cannot spot a WOL jumper on the motherboard so far.
I cannot find a Wake on USB disable position in the documentation thus far.
Only +5V and +5VSB.
All power on options in BIOS are disabled.
APM Config
Power Button Mode [Off]
Restore on AC Power Loss [Off]
Power on by RTC Alarm [Off]
Power On By External Modems [Off]
Power On by PCI Devices [Off}
Power On By PS/2 Mouse [Off}
Power On By PS/2 Keyboard [Off}

I have tried setting Suspend Mode to S1, S3, and Auto (default) without
success and re-jumpering USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, USBPW78 to +5V and +
5VSB at each change. S3 is a near instant system restart.

Since the POWER IS OFF why would an OS scheduled event affect powered down
hardware? I must be missing something here.

Dave

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> allegedly wrote in

> David,
>
> As per Paul's comments +
>
> Check your Scheduled Tasks (Control Panel). You could have one that is
> scheduled to run very often do this.
>
> NA for this issues, but Power Loss restart - this is a setting for "UPS
> usage". If the power fails while the system is running then it indicates
> that it is to restart when the power comes back. This setting is used
> with a UPS: the power fails, the power comes back, this will determine
> if the system auto re-starts. If you are not using a UPS this should be
> off otherwise if you have a bad power brownout, followed by a lot of
> poor power (EG in an electrical storm), the system will start and stop
> like a yo yo and possibly damage it.
>
> Make sure all Wake On .... are disabled. The system could be restarting
> from an external hardware signal EG Telephone ring, Network traffic etc.
> Turn on the Wake On.. functions when you know you need them - if ever.
>
> Since you have the NIC going to the Netgear, I would check Wake On LAN
> is off first.
>
> - Tim
>
> "David Flick" <df@nospamme.com> wrote in message
>> So far ASUS at http://helpdesk.asus.com/ has been of no help on this
>> issue.
>> Perhaps someone here can shed an idea or two.

[snip]

>> TIA

Paul

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

In article <Xns954DA303EDC85dfnospammeco@203.165.13.101>, David Flick
<df@nospamme.com> wrote:

> Tim,
>
> Thanks for the response, but...
>
> Server grade UPS is stable according to my AC line analyzer/recorder. It
> is nice being an Electronics Technician with test equipment available. :)
>
> As previously stated I cannot find a Wake on LAN (WOL) in the documentation
> and cannot spot a WOL jumper on the motherboard so far.
> I cannot find a Wake on USB disable position in the documentation thus far.
> Only +5V and +5VSB.
> All power on options in BIOS are disabled.
> APM Config
> Power Button Mode [Off]
> Restore on AC Power Loss [Off]
> Power on by RTC Alarm [Off]
> Power On By External Modems [Off]
> Power On by PCI Devices [Off}
> Power On By PS/2 Mouse [Off}
> Power On By PS/2 Keyboard [Off}
>
> I have tried setting Suspend Mode to S1, S3, and Auto (default) without
> success and re-jumpering USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, USBPW78 to +5V and +
> 5VSB at each change. S3 is a near instant system restart.
>
> Since the POWER IS OFF why would an OS scheduled event affect powered down
> hardware? I must be missing something here.
>
> Dave

The Real Time Clock in the Southbridge can be programmed by ACPI
and the Windows Scheduler, to wake the computer at a specific time.
The RTC Alarm generally can be owned by the BIOS, or by the OS, but
I thought not both at the same time. If during the OS shutdown process,
the RTC Alarm is set by ACPI to wake up in 30 seconds time, that could
do it. The RTC should work as long as the motherboard has +5VSB,
so that the PS_ON# signal can be sent to the PSU. (Even if the RTC
only has the CMOS battery to work with, it can still assert its
signal indicating power on is desired. Intervening logic between
the RTC and the PS_ON# signal, probably require +5VSB to do its
jobs, as does the control circuit on the PSU.)

This could easily be a BIOS issue, and your board is very new.
If you've had good luck with flashing boards in the past, I'd
give that a shot first.

Just for kicks, get a copy of dumppo.exe from Microsoft. It is a
program that can query certain aspects of ACPI. You can get it
here. With your USB devices connected, see if the status of your
system looks reasonable.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.exe

Paul

> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> allegedly wrote in
>
> > David,
> >
> > As per Paul's comments +
> >
> > Check your Scheduled Tasks (Control Panel). You could have one that is
> > scheduled to run very often do this.
> >
> > NA for this issues, but Power Loss restart - this is a setting for "UPS
> > usage". If the power fails while the system is running then it indicates
> > that it is to restart when the power comes back. This setting is used
> > with a UPS: the power fails, the power comes back, this will determine
> > if the system auto re-starts. If you are not using a UPS this should be
> > off otherwise if you have a bad power brownout, followed by a lot of
> > poor power (EG in an electrical storm), the system will start and stop
> > like a yo yo and possibly damage it.
> >
> > Make sure all Wake On .... are disabled. The system could be restarting
> > from an external hardware signal EG Telephone ring, Network traffic etc.
> > Turn on the Wake On.. functions when you know you need them - if ever.
> >
> > Since you have the NIC going to the Netgear, I would check Wake On LAN
> > is off first.
> >
> > - Tim
> >
> > "David Flick" <df@nospamme.com> wrote in message
> >> So far ASUS at http://helpdesk.asus.com/ has been of no help on this
> >> issue.
> >> Perhaps someone here can shed an idea or two.
> >>
> [snip]
> >>
> >> TIA

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

Paul,
It looks as though MS has removed dumppo.exe for the time being. Searching
Microsoft returns one whitepaper with a single mention of it. Maybe they
will have it back up in another week. In the meantime I will keep working
on this and going to an S5 state. Before flashing the BIOS I intend to get
the SFF unit and Linux box configured to my liking just in case.
Dave

> In article <Xns954DA303EDC85dfnospammeco@203.165.13.101>, David Flick
> <df@nospamme.com> wrote:
>
>> Tim,
[snip]
>> Dave
>
> The Real Time Clock in the Southbridge can be programmed by ACPI
> and the Windows Scheduler, to wake the computer at a specific time.
[snip]
> Just for kicks, get a copy of dumppo.exe from Microsoft. It is a
> program that can query certain aspects of ACPI. You can get it
> here. With your USB devices connected, see if the status of your
> system looks reasonable.
>
> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.e
> xe
>
> Paul
>

>> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> allegedly wrote in

[snip]

>> > - Tim
>> >
>> > "David Flick" <df@nospamme.com> wrote in message
>> >>
>> [snip]

Paul

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

In article <Xns954DF0742C02dfnospammeco@203.165.13.101>, David Flick
<df@nospamme.com> wrote:

> Paul,
> It looks as though MS has removed dumppo.exe for the time being. Searching
> Microsoft returns one whitepaper with a single mention of it. Maybe they
> will have it back up in another week. In the meantime I will keep working
> on this and going to an S5 state. Before flashing the BIOS I intend to get
> the SFF unit and Linux box configured to my liking just in case.
> Dave

It is there. Try again. I've had trouble, on occasion, reaching
ftp.microsoft.com, and rebooting my router, ADSL, and computer
usually fixes it. The problem is peculiar to the Microsoft site,
and FTP elsewhere continues to work.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi

dumppo.exe 12KB Jul 17, 1998

> In article <Xns954DF0742C02dfnospammeco@203.165.13.101>, David Flick
> <df@nospamme.com> wrote:

[snip]

> It is there. Try again. I've had trouble, on occasion, reaching
> ftp.microsoft.com, and rebooting my router, ADSL, and computer
> usually fixes it. The problem is peculiar to the Microsoft site,
> and FTP elsewhere continues to work.
>
> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi
>
> dumppo.exe 12KB Jul 17, 1998
>
> Paul

I was able to ftp into MS, but show an empty directory listing. I will keep
trying.
Dave

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus (More info?)

David Flick <df@nospamme.com> allegedly wrote in

> nospam@needed.com (Paul) allegedly wrote in
>
>> In article <Xns954DF0742C02dfnospammeco@203.165.13.101>, David Flick
>> <df@nospamme.com> wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>>
>> It is there. Try again. I've had trouble, on occasion, reaching
>> ftp.microsoft.com, and rebooting my router, ADSL, and computer
>> usually fixes it. The problem is peculiar to the Microsoft site,
>> and FTP elsewhere continues to work.
>>
>> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi
>>
>> dumppo.exe 12KB Jul 17, 1998
>>
>> Paul
>>

> I was able to ftp into MS, but show an empty directory listing. I will
> keep trying.
> Dave

I managed to finally get the file. Now let's see if I can get over on this
USB problem.
Dave