Microphone Recording Control Automatically Switching in Co..

Archived from groups: creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

I was having a problem with my new Soundblaster Audigy 2 when I tried
to use voice chat in cs:source, it was forcing the recording device to
"Wave", automatically switching it from "Line-In 1/Mic" resulting in
voice chat not working. This seemed to happen when:

1. whenever you click on the options menu.
2. whenever you load up a new map or change maps.

For a while I was temporarily fixing the problem by alt/tabbing out of
the game after the map loaded and manually switching it back to the
microphone recording input.

I just wanted to post this because I noticed while searching for an
answer that some other people were having this problem and there were
no replies.

I found out that if you enter "voice_forcemicrecord 0" into the ~
console or it should also work with entering it in steam under play
games->properties->launch options "+voice_forcemicrecord 0", but I
haven't tried that yet.
5 answers Last reply
More about microphone recording control automatically switching
  1. Archived from groups: creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    phocks <phocks@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I was having a problem with my new Soundblaster Audigy 2 when I tried
    > to use voice chat in cs:source, it was forcing the recording device to
    > "Wave", automatically switching it from "Line-In 1/Mic" resulting in
    > voice chat not working. This seemed to happen when:
    >
    > 1. whenever you click on the options menu.
    > 2. whenever you load up a new map or change maps.
    >
    > For a while I was temporarily fixing the problem by alt/tabbing out of
    > the game after the map loaded and manually switching it back to the
    > microphone recording input.
    >
    > I just wanted to post this because I noticed while searching for an
    > answer that some other people were having this problem and there were
    > no replies.
    >
    > I found out that if you enter "voice_forcemicrecord 0" into the ~
    > console or it should also work with entering it in steam under play
    > games->properties->launch options "+voice_forcemicrecord 0", but I
    > haven't tried that yet.

    Bugs Bugs Bugs.
    Sounds like Sound Blaster driver issues.
    I've had problems with my sound blaster live 512 switching on environmental
    audio effects without warning in a CS1.6 game, leaving me with annoying
    super reverb on everything including footsteps. I have to quit the game and
    reset my card settings, turning off whatever has been switched on. That's
    not the only thing that happens with it either...other settings like
    recording level, output levels and input selection have an apparent random
    desire to change now and then even when other apps are running, not just in
    CS.

    They have lots of patches on the Creative website for audigy 2 card drivers
    etc...have you tried updating to all the latest patches?
  2. Archived from groups: creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    I hate it when people are too lazy to answer their own thread.
  3. Archived from groups: creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    Mebbe he's not been back at his PC since.

    "Uzi" <rapandrandb@suks.com> wrote in message
    >I hate it when people are too lazy to answer their own thread.

  4. Archived from groups: creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    Uzi wrote:
    > I hate it when people are too lazy to answer their own thread.

    Sorry, I didn't realise there was a question. No I managed to fix the
    problem using "voice_forcemicrecord 0" in the console, to stop
    counter-strike: source from trying to switch recording devices
    automatically. Because the Audigy 2's microphone socket aslo doubles as
    a line in, I'm assuming the game has trouble recognising it as the
    microphone recording device.

    I just posted it to these groups because while searching for an answer
    to this problem, I found there were others experiencing the same from
    these groups who hadn't been answered and I couldn't post to their
    threads because they were too old.
  5. Archived from groups: creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    > Uzi wrote:
    > > I hate it when people are too lazy to answer their own thread.
    >
    > Sorry, I didn't realise there was a question. No I managed to fix the
    > problem using "voice_forcemicrecord 0" in the console, to stop
    > counter-strike: source from trying to switch recording devices
    > automatically. Because the Audigy 2's microphone socket aslo doubles as
    > a line in, I'm assuming the game has trouble recognising it as the
    > microphone recording device.
    >
    > I just posted it to these groups because while searching for an answer
    > to this problem, I found there were others experiencing the same from
    > these groups who hadn't been answered and I couldn't post to their
    > threads because they were too old.

    No problem.
    I've just bought a Audigy2 ZS card which I haven't installed yet. (building
    a new gaming system)
    From what I've been reading in these groups, especially in the creative
    newsgroup, has lead me to believe that Creatives' drivers are a mess.
    I've read that the WDM drivers creative use for the Audigy are not very good
    and hence they have released something called OpenAL.
    But does OpenAL get recognised by current recent games?

    WDM drivers for any device are absolute pants IMO. They are always HUGE in
    size, RAM eaters?
    Also, with all that Microsoft inspired bloatware, they often just don't
    work.
    The only other device I've used that uses WDM, that I know of, in my win98SE
    system is my Pinnacle PCTV Rave tuner card.
    This card worked fine, until I upgraded to directX9, after which the
    original software stopped working completely. So I downloaded Pinnacles
    latest WDM drivers and software package for it, which again were huge
    although they declared that they worked with DX9. I tried everything to get
    these WDM drivers to work and they just wouldn't at all.
    So in the end I downloaded some free 3rd party drivers and Software from
    Sourceforge (Dscaler) which were a fraction of the size of the Pinnacle WDM
    drivers. They installed and worked first time with no crashes or major bugs
    and with loads more features and I'm still using them now. Thank god for
    Open Source or I would have been forced to ditch a perfectly good piece of
    hardware.
    I have come to the conclusion that companies like Creative and Pinnacle are
    exploiting the WDM driver fiasco in order to coerce people to go out and but
    new hardware, instead of programming drivers that actually work properly.
    Ooops ...ok rant over! lol

Sound Blaster Games Video Games