Microphone Recording Control Automatically Switching in Co..

Last response: in Video Games
August 31, 2005 10:25:45 AM

Archived from groups: creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

I was having a problem with my new Soundblaster Audigy 2 when I tried
to use voice chat in cs:source, it was forcing the recording device to
"Wave", automatically switching it from "Line-In 1/Mic" resulting in
voice chat not working. This seemed to happen when:

1. whenever you click on the options menu.
2. whenever you load up a new map or change maps.

For a while I was temporarily fixing the problem by alt/tabbing out of
the game after the map loaded and manually switching it back to the
microphone recording input.

I just wanted to post this because I noticed while searching for an
answer that some other people were having this problem and there were
no replies.

I found out that if you enter "voice_forcemicrecord 0" into the ~
console or it should also work with entering it in steam under play
games->properties->launch options "+voice_forcemicrecord 0", but I
haven't tried that yet.
September 1, 2005 1:34:03 PM

phocks <phocks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I was having a problem with my new Soundblaster Audigy 2 when I tried
> to use voice chat in cs:source, it was forcing the recording device to
> "Wave", automatically switching it from "Line-In 1/Mic" resulting in
> voice chat not working. This seemed to happen when:
>
> 1. whenever you click on the options menu.
> 2. whenever you load up a new map or change maps.
>
> For a while I was temporarily fixing the problem by alt/tabbing out of
> the game after the map loaded and manually switching it back to the
> microphone recording input.
>
> I just wanted to post this because I noticed while searching for an
> answer that some other people were having this problem and there were
> no replies.
>
> I found out that if you enter "voice_forcemicrecord 0" into the ~
> console or it should also work with entering it in steam under play
> games->properties->launch options "+voice_forcemicrecord 0", but I
> haven't tried that yet.

Bugs Bugs Bugs.
Sounds like Sound Blaster driver issues.
I've had problems with my sound blaster live 512 switching on environmental
audio effects without warning in a CS1.6 game, leaving me with annoying
super reverb on everything including footsteps. I have to quit the game and
reset my card settings, turning off whatever has been switched on. That's
not the only thing that happens with it either...other settings like
recording level, output levels and input selection have an apparent random
desire to change now and then even when other apps are running, not just in
CS.

They have lots of patches on the Creative website for audigy 2 card drivers
etc...have you tried updating to all the latest patches?
September 3, 2005 2:34:02 PM

Archived from groups: creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

I hate it when people are too lazy to answer their own thread.
September 4, 2005 12:55:25 AM

Archived from groups: creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy,alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

Mebbe he's not been back at his PC since.

"Uzi" <rapandrandb@suks.com> wrote in message
>I hate it when people are too lazy to answer their own thread.

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 8:51:18 PM

Uzi wrote:
> I hate it when people are too lazy to answer their own thread.

Sorry, I didn't realise there was a question. No I managed to fix the
problem using "voice_forcemicrecord 0" in the console, to stop
counter-strike: source from trying to switch recording devices
automatically. Because the Audigy 2's microphone socket aslo doubles as
a line in, I'm assuming the game has trouble recognising it as the
microphone recording device.

I just posted it to these groups because while searching for an answer
to this problem, I found there were others experiencing the same from
these groups who hadn't been answered and I couldn't post to their
threads because they were too old.
September 5, 2005 10:56:04 AM

> Uzi wrote:
> > I hate it when people are too lazy to answer their own thread.
>
> Sorry, I didn't realise there was a question. No I managed to fix the
> problem using "voice_forcemicrecord 0" in the console, to stop
> counter-strike: source from trying to switch recording devices
> automatically. Because the Audigy 2's microphone socket aslo doubles as
> a line in, I'm assuming the game has trouble recognising it as the
> microphone recording device.
>
> I just posted it to these groups because while searching for an answer
> to this problem, I found there were others experiencing the same from
> these groups who hadn't been answered and I couldn't post to their
> threads because they were too old.

No problem.
I've just bought a Audigy2 ZS card which I haven't installed yet. (building
a new gaming system)
From what I've been reading in these groups, especially in the creative
newsgroup, has lead me to believe that Creatives' drivers are a mess.
I've read that the WDM drivers creative use for the Audigy are not very good
and hence they have released something called OpenAL.
But does OpenAL get recognised by current recent games?

WDM drivers for any device are absolute pants IMO. They are always HUGE in
size, RAM eaters?
Also, with all that Microsoft inspired bloatware, they often just don't
work.
The only other device I've used that uses WDM, that I know of, in my win98SE
system is my Pinnacle PCTV Rave tuner card.
This card worked fine, until I upgraded to directX9, after which the
original software stopped working completely. So I downloaded Pinnacles
latest WDM drivers and software package for it, which again were huge
although they declared that they worked with DX9. I tried everything to get
these WDM drivers to work and they just wouldn't at all.
So in the end I downloaded some free 3rd party drivers and Software from
Sourceforge (Dscaler) which were a fraction of the size of the Pinnacle WDM
drivers. They installed and worked first time with no crashes or major bugs
and with loads more features and I'm still using them now. Thank god for
Open Source or I would have been forced to ditch a perfectly good piece of
hardware.
I have come to the conclusion that companies like Creative and Pinnacle are
exploiting the WDM driver fiasco in order to coerce people to go out and but
new hardware, instead of programming drivers that actually work properly.
Ooops ...ok rant over! lol
!