XP Home installation problems - session3_initialization_fa..

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When installing XP-home edition; after the copy of setup files, and the
message in the status bar stats that Windows is about to start, i get a blue
screen error message stating "session3_initialization_failure". The message
goes on to state that if this is a new installation i should check out the
my hardware has been installed correctly, etc.

Initially i was using an old celeron-450, but after i got this message i
"upgraded" to a celeron 2.4, on a brand new MSI mother board, and 256 of
brand new memory. I was shocked to see the same message again with this new
setup. I then started swapping hard drives. These are drives i had in other
systems, one had even been running win2k for about 3 years. Two were old
quantum fireballs, and a 1 is a 2 year old maxtor. I get the same message
with all of these. I swapped the IDE cable for a newer one i had, but still
no luck. I only have drive in the system, and have set it for cable select.
There is only one cd-rom drive, DVD-ROM actually, but it was used with win2k
pro for about 3 years.

I am using a legal retail upgrade copy of XP-home. I resently setup XP-Pro
on a new P4 with a new MB, Western Digital HD, etc from scratch, and had no
problems doing the installation, and it has performed beautifully! I've done
several XP-Pro installs without any problems, even on old hardware.

What am i missing here? what could the installation be complaining about?

Bob

Bob, are you using a 80 wire Ribbon cable? Could you try a different
cdrom drive? Check here especially the last post.
http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=141625

"Bob" <ramr98@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When installing XP-home edition; after the copy of setup files, and the
> message in the status bar stats that Windows is about to start, i get a
blue
> screen error message stating "session3_initialization_failure". The
message
> goes on to state that if this is a new installation i should check out the
> my hardware has been installed correctly, etc.
>
> Initially i was using an old celeron-450, but after i got this message i
> "upgraded" to a celeron 2.4, on a brand new MSI mother board, and 256 of
> brand new memory. I was shocked to see the same message again with this
new
> setup. I then started swapping hard drives. These are drives i had in
other
> systems, one had even been running win2k for about 3 years. Two were old
> quantum fireballs, and a 1 is a 2 year old maxtor. I get the same message
> with all of these. I swapped the IDE cable for a newer one i had, but
still
> no luck. I only have drive in the system, and have set it for cable
select.
> There is only one cd-rom drive, DVD-ROM actually, but it was used with
win2k
> pro for about 3 years.
>
> I am using a legal retail upgrade copy of XP-home. I resently setup XP-Pro
> on a new P4 with a new MB, Western Digital HD, etc from scratch, and had
no
> problems doing the installation, and it has performed beautifully! I've
done
> several XP-Pro installs without any problems, even on old hardware.
>
> What am i missing here? what could the installation be complaining about?
>
> Bob

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I did see this post. It is one of the reasons i used cable select, and
swapped the cable. The maxtor is an ATA ultra 100. I am using an 80 wire
ribbon cable.

Changing to a different cd-rom drive is my next try.

thanks!
Bob