XP Home installation problems - session3_initialization_fa..

When installing XP-home edition; after the copy of setup files, and the
message in the status bar stats that Windows is about to start, i get a blue
screen error message stating "session3_initialization_failure". The message
goes on to state that if this is a new installation i should check out the
my hardware has been installed correctly, etc.

Initially i was using an old celeron-450, but after i got this message i
"upgraded" to a celeron 2.4, on a brand new MSI mother board, and 256 of
brand new memory. I was shocked to see the same message again with this new
setup. I then started swapping hard drives. These are drives i had in other
systems, one had even been running win2k for about 3 years. Two were old
quantum fireballs, and a 1 is a 2 year old maxtor. I get the same message
with all of these. I swapped the IDE cable for a newer one i had, but still
no luck. I only have drive in the system, and have set it for cable select.
There is only one cd-rom drive, DVD-ROM actually, but it was used with win2k
pro for about 3 years.

I am using a legal retail upgrade copy of XP-home. I resently setup XP-Pro
on a new P4 with a new MB, Western Digital HD, etc from scratch, and had no
problems doing the installation, and it has performed beautifully! I've done
several XP-Pro installs without any problems, even on old hardware.

What am i missing here? what could the installation be complaining about?

Bob
2 answers Last reply
More about home installation problems session3_initialization_fa

    Bob, are you using a 80 wire Ribbon cable? Could you try a different
    cdrom drive? Check here especially the last post.
    http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=141625

    "Bob" <ramr98@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When installing XP-home edition; after the copy of setup files, and the
    > message in the status bar stats that Windows is about to start, i get a
    blue
    > screen error message stating "session3_initialization_failure". The
    message
    > goes on to state that if this is a new installation i should check out the
    > my hardware has been installed correctly, etc.
    >
    > Initially i was using an old celeron-450, but after i got this message i
    > "upgraded" to a celeron 2.4, on a brand new MSI mother board, and 256 of
    > brand new memory. I was shocked to see the same message again with this
    new
    > setup. I then started swapping hard drives. These are drives i had in
    other
    > systems, one had even been running win2k for about 3 years. Two were old
    > quantum fireballs, and a 1 is a 2 year old maxtor. I get the same message
    > with all of these. I swapped the IDE cable for a newer one i had, but
    still
    > no luck. I only have drive in the system, and have set it for cable
    select.
    > There is only one cd-rom drive, DVD-ROM actually, but it was used with
    win2k
    > pro for about 3 years.
    >
    > I am using a legal retail upgrade copy of XP-home. I resently setup XP-Pro
    > on a new P4 with a new MB, Western Digital HD, etc from scratch, and had
    no
    > problems doing the installation, and it has performed beautifully! I've
    done
    > several XP-Pro installs without any problems, even on old hardware.
    >
    > What am i missing here? what could the installation be complaining about?
    >
    > Bob

    I did see this post. It is one of the reasons i used cable select, and
    swapped the cable. The maxtor is an ATA ultra 100. I am using an 80 wire
    ribbon cable.

    Changing to a different cd-rom drive is my next try.

    thanks!
    Bob

    "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Bob, are you using a 80 wire Ribbon cable? Could you try a different
    > cdrom drive? Check here especially the last post.
    > http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=141625
    >

    > "Bob" <ramr98@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > When installing XP-home edition; after the copy of setup files, and the
    > > message in the status bar stats that Windows is about to start, i get a
    > blue
    > > screen error message stating "session3_initialization_failure". The
    > message
    > > goes on to state that if this is a new installation i should check out
    the
    > > my hardware has been installed correctly, etc.
    > >
    > > Initially i was using an old celeron-450, but after i got this message i
    > > "upgraded" to a celeron 2.4, on a brand new MSI mother board, and 256 of
    > > brand new memory. I was shocked to see the same message again with this
    > new
    > > setup. I then started swapping hard drives. These are drives i had in
    > other
    > > systems, one had even been running win2k for about 3 years. Two were old
    > > quantum fireballs, and a 1 is a 2 year old maxtor. I get the same
    message
    > > with all of these. I swapped the IDE cable for a newer one i had, but
    > still
    > > no luck. I only have drive in the system, and have set it for cable
    > select.
    > > There is only one cd-rom drive, DVD-ROM actually, but it was used with
    > win2k
    > > pro for about 3 years.
    > >
    > > I am using a legal retail upgrade copy of XP-home. I resently setup
    XP-Pro
    > > on a new P4 with a new MB, Western Digital HD, etc from scratch, and had
    > no
    > > problems doing the installation, and it has performed beautifully! I've
    > done
    > > several XP-Pro installs without any problems, even on old hardware.
    > >
    > > What am i missing here? what could the installation be complaining
    about?

    > > Bob

Hardware Windows XP