A7N8X CPU QUESTION

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 22, 2004 4:47:10 AM

I have the original A7N8X board , REV 1.04 with bios 1008 installed..will a
AMD ATHLONXP 3200 , 400FSB work with this board? Am I correct in saying that
to get 400fsb I need to set the speed in bios at 200 and what would be the
proper cpu multiplyer settings to set this chip properly in bios ? TIA ,
please help as I want to order this chip below

http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=73...

More about : a7n8x cpu question

August 22, 2004 4:47:11 AM

In article <i2SVc.4291$Nk4.3426406@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, "Anthony"
<optimus2@optonline.net> wrote:

> I have the original A7N8X board , REV 1.04 with bios 1008 installed..will a
> AMD ATHLONXP 3200 , 400FSB work with this board? Am I correct in saying that
> to get 400fsb I need to set the speed in bios at 200 and what would be the
> proper cpu multiplyer settings to set this chip properly in bios ? TIA ,
> please help as I want to order this chip below
>
> http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=73...

You will note that smksuperstore charges $108 for the OEM 3200+
while Newegg charges $183. After the Mwave incident, where a
2500+ was remarked to look like a 3200+, I would be very hesitant
to shop for "bargain" 3200+ processors. Maybe looking for
a bargain on a much lower speed processor would be OK, as the
profit to be made by remarking the processor would be so much lower.
Stick with a store that has some kind of reputation to protect.
If they get caught remarking processors, they will act all innocent
and go "my distributor cheated me". The fact that they can offer the
processor for a ridiculously low price, means they are getting the
processor from a dubious source ("off the back of a truck, in
a dark alley").

This is the table I like for processor info:

http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm

The 3200+ is 2200MHz and CPU clock is 200MHz. That makes the
multiplier 11x.

I hope the 1008 BIOS allows you to achieve FSB400. The 1008 BIOS
is supposed to make FSB400 possible. Before that BIOS, the 1.04
board could typically use a 180-185MHz or so clock, and wouldn't
run at the full 200MHz for FSB400. At one time, before the BIOS
was available, some people were volt modding the CM3708
regulator, to get FSB400. I don't know how a BIOS upgrade makes
FSB400 possible.

Another alternative, is to buy an AthlonXP-M processor,
as the multiplier is unlocked, and with a bit of extra Vcore
applied, they can easily run at the equivalent of a 3200+ or
higher speeds. Read the "reviews" links on this page:

(Various mobiles - a 2500 or 2600 mobile seems popular. Only buy
the ones that say "Socket A", not the 2000+ at the bottom of the
page. The 2000+ uses the wrong socket.)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=proper...

(Some comments from a review link)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

HTH,
Paul
August 22, 2004 1:39:43 PM

Thx a lot for that detailed reply , on price watch there are about 20 online
stores , a lot of them BBB rated that have the chip for under 120.00 and as
far as the 1008 bios making FSB 400 work I emailed ASUS customer support to
make sure of this before I purchase the chip..thx again , I will check the
links you provided. Worse comes to worse I think there is a AMD 3200 that is
not a FSB 400 chip so I am positive I can use that one..

> In article <i2SVc.4291$Nk4.3426406@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, "Anthony"
> <optimus2@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> I have the original A7N8X board , REV 1.04 with bios 1008 installed..will
>> AMD ATHLONXP 3200 , 400FSB work with this board? Am I correct in saying
>> that
>> to get 400fsb I need to set the speed in bios at 200 and what would be
>> the
>> proper cpu multiplyer settings to set this chip properly in bios ? TIA ,
>> please help as I want to order this chip below
>>
>> http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=73...
>
> You will note that smksuperstore charges $108 for the OEM 3200+
> while Newegg charges $183. After the Mwave incident, where a
> 2500+ was remarked to look like a 3200+, I would be very hesitant
> to shop for "bargain" 3200+ processors. Maybe looking for
> a bargain on a much lower speed processor would be OK, as the
> profit to be made by remarking the processor would be so much lower.
> Stick with a store that has some kind of reputation to protect.
> If they get caught remarking processors, they will act all innocent
> and go "my distributor cheated me". The fact that they can offer the
> processor for a ridiculously low price, means they are getting the
> processor from a dubious source ("off the back of a truck, in
> a dark alley").
>
> This is the table I like for processor info:
>
> http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm
>
> The 3200+ is 2200MHz and CPU clock is 200MHz. That makes the
> multiplier 11x.
>
> I hope the 1008 BIOS allows you to achieve FSB400. The 1008 BIOS
> is supposed to make FSB400 possible. Before that BIOS, the 1.04
> board could typically use a 180-185MHz or so clock, and wouldn't
> run at the full 200MHz for FSB400. At one time, before the BIOS
> was available, some people were volt modding the CM3708
> regulator, to get FSB400. I don't know how a BIOS upgrade makes
> FSB400 possible.
>
> Another alternative, is to buy an AthlonXP-M processor,
> as the multiplier is unlocked, and with a bit of extra Vcore
> applied, they can easily run at the equivalent of a 3200+ or
> higher speeds. Read the "reviews" links on this page:
>
> (Various mobiles - a 2500 or 2600 mobile seems popular. Only buy
> the ones that say "Socket A", not the 2000+ at the bottom of the
> page. The 2000+ uses the wrong socket.)
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=proper...
>
> (Some comments from a review link)
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
> HTH,
> Paul
Related resources
August 22, 2004 5:34:17 PM

I have a 3200+ in a a7n8x rev.104 with bios 1008 works perfectly.

Bender

"Anthony" <optimus2@optonline.net> escribió en el mensaje
> I have the original A7N8X board , REV 1.04 with bios 1008 installed..will
> AMD ATHLONXP 3200 , 400FSB work with this board? Am I correct in saying
that
> to get 400fsb I need to set the speed in bios at 200 and what would be the
> proper cpu multiplyer settings to set this chip properly in bios ? TIA ,
> please help as I want to order this chip below
>
> http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=73...

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 4:23:28 AM

Asus' website says it will.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.as...

"Anthony" <optimus2@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I have the original A7N8X board , REV 1.04 with bios 1008 installed..will a
> AMD ATHLONXP 3200 , 400FSB work with this board? Am I correct in saying
> that
> to get 400fsb I need to set the speed in bios at 200 and what would be the
> proper cpu multiplyer settings to set this chip properly in bios ? TIA ,
> please help as I want to order this chip below
>
> http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=73...

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 9:01:08 PM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:05:43 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.com> wrote:
>In article <i2SVc.4291$Nk4.3426406@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, "Anthony"
><optimus2@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> I have the original A7N8X board , REV 1.04 with bios 1008 installed..will a
>> AMD ATHLONXP 3200 , 400FSB work with this board? Am I correct in saying that
>> to get 400fsb I need to set the speed in bios at 200 and what would be the
>> proper cpu multiplyer settings to set this chip properly in bios ? TIA ,
>> please help as I want to order this chip below

I just upgraded to XP3200+ this weekend with an original A7N8X board (it was
so original, it has BIOS 1001... it was a pain to get it upgraded but now i'm
running on BIOS 1006 with no problems.)

The CPU multiplier is 11x and the FSB is 200mhz (400mhz DDR). Should work fine
with your board, which is clearly newer than mine.

>> http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=73...
>
>You will note that smksuperstore charges $108 for the OEM 3200+
>while Newegg charges $183. After the Mwave incident, where a
>2500+ was remarked to look like a 3200+, I would be very hesitant
>to shop for "bargain" 3200+ processors. Maybe looking for
>a bargain on a much lower speed processor would be OK, as the
>profit to be made by remarking the processor would be so much lower.

I usually buy all my components from newegg but their price for the 3200+
was so out of line that I decided to risk getting one of the $108 ones.
According to all the diganostics I've thrown at it, it's a genuine AMD
3200+. I don't know why newegg's price is so high for that item.

I've been running it for five days continuously now and no problems so
I'm feeling happy with my purchase.

>I hope the 1008 BIOS allows you to achieve FSB400. The 1008 BIOS
>is supposed to make FSB400 possible. Before that BIOS, the 1.04
>board could typically use a 180-185MHz or so clock, and wouldn't
>run at the full 200MHz for FSB400. At one time, before the BIOS
>was available, some people were volt modding the CM3708
>regulator, to get FSB400. I don't know how a BIOS upgrade makes
>FSB400 possible.

Hmmm, I have a really old A7N8X board but after the BIOS flash
it claims that it's 400mhz all the way down the line. How would I
objectively verify that?

-rs-
August 25, 2004 9:11:10 AM

In article <slrncimt2m.2t58.snart@cluttered.com>, snart@nospam.com wrote:

<<snip>>

> I usually buy all my components from newegg but their price for the 3200+
> was so out of line that I decided to risk getting one of the $108 ones.
> According to all the diganostics I've thrown at it, it's a genuine AMD
> 3200+. I don't know why newegg's price is so high for that item.
>
> -rs-

But the ID part of it is what bothers me so much. As far as I can
tell from doing research during the recent Mwave remarking issue,
the info inside the processor chip is enough to tell you it is a
Barton (model 10), but that is all. Since one silicon die is used
for all the Barton speed grades, no info finer grained than that
is stored in the silicon itself. It is all coded with bridges,
like whether it is a mobile chip or not, for example.

So, if I mess about with the bridges on the top of the chip, the
BIOS will dutifully report the new chip ID.

The only thing that stops remarking processors:

1) Idiot remarks processor, but doesn't check whether it actually
boots and runs stable at the new speed. That is what tweaked
the poor user in the Mwave incident. The 2500+ or whatever they
used, wouldn't run at 3200+.
2) Poor cosmetic work. Sloppy label with bad fonts. Bridge mods
visible to the naked eye.

One user in this group, reported his processor was running at
1.85 volts, implying the bridges that control VID had been
adjusted to request extra voltage from the Vcore circuit. This
_could_ be an attempt by a remarker, to get enough Vcore to run
a balky 2500+ at 3200+ speeds. The default Vcore should be
lower than that.

At one time, I wouldn't have really cared if someone on this
group said they wanted to buy a 3200+, but if there really
isn't any way to tell they are genuine, maybe people are better
off buying a 2500+ and overclocking it themselves by bumping
the FSB. So, I hope you are right about the diagnostics, and
that there is some way to tell they are genuine.

I noticed on some older AMD products, that the particulars of
the chip were printed on the die itself, on the protective
coating on the outside of the die. I don't see that label
in pictures any more, so I guess they stopped doing that ?

Paul
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2004 9:35:18 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 05:11:10 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.com> wrote:
>The only thing that stops remarking processors:
>
>1) Idiot remarks processor, but doesn't check whether it actually
> boots and runs stable at the new speed. That is what tweaked
> the poor user in the Mwave incident. The 2500+ or whatever they
> used, wouldn't run at 3200+.
>2) Poor cosmetic work. Sloppy label with bad fonts. Bridge mods
> visible to the naked eye.

damn, i wish i had taken a picture of the chip before i installed it.
i've seen my fair share of AMD chips and this one looked genuine,
it said 3200+ on it and there was nothing visibly weird about the
bridges.

can you recommend a good benchmark tool to test processor speed and
memory throughput?

-rs-
!