amy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have a DSL connection and I bought a Linksys WRV54G router so that I can
get 2 PCs vpn'd in to my company network. I set up both PCs to use the same
WORKGROUP but they still can't see each other. My DSL provider may have
added some firewall stuff or maybe I just know less about what I'm doing
than I thought. Can somebody please tell me of a good web page that'll walk
me through setting up a home network with a DSL connection and a router? I
need something real basic that says click this, type this IP, check this
check box, etc.
Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

well if same workgroup doesn't help then you should use either hosts file or
type in the IP your self.

type in IP: set the ip manually on each pcs
hosts file: run this at Start, Run command
notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

add ips and names below 127.0.0.1 localhost

example:
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.100 mycomputer
192.168.0.101 mypetcomputer

remember: mycomputer and mypetcomputer should be repleaced with the actual
computer names. to find out your computer name, go to cmd prompt and type in
hostname.

--
Tin,
n0bOdy
"Amy" <ab@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> I have a DSL connection and I bought a Linksys WRV54G router so that I can
> get 2 PCs vpn'd in to my company network. I set up both PCs to use the
same
> WORKGROUP but they still can't see each other. My DSL provider may have
> added some firewall stuff or maybe I just know less about what I'm doing
> than I thought. Can somebody please tell me of a good web page that'll
walk
> me through setting up a home network with a DSL connection and a router? I
> need something real basic that says click this, type this IP, check this
> check box, etc.
> Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The DSL has nothing to do with it. What kind of OS is it? Win98 doesn't
show up at all unless Sharing is turned on and something is actually shared.
XP machines won't see each other if the Personal Firewall that is packaged
with it is enabled.

The machines should have thier TCP/IP settings all set to Automatic and will
get their address from the DHCP Service running on the WRV54G.

Your ISP and the Router have nothing to do with the Workgroup. It is the
built in "switch" in the Router that connects your machines,..the "router"
functionality has nothing to do with it.

"Amy" <ab@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> I have a DSL connection and I bought a Linksys WRV54G router so that I can
> get 2 PCs vpn'd in to my company network. I set up both PCs to use the
same
> WORKGROUP but they still can't see each other. My DSL provider may have
> added some firewall stuff or maybe I just know less about what I'm doing
> than I thought. Can somebody please tell me of a good web page that'll
walk
> me through setting up a home network with a DSL connection and a router? I
> need something real basic that says click this, type this IP, check this
> check box, etc.
> Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello Amy
See if this makes any since.

First open the Properties of My Network Places, delete or disable all
connections except your internet connection, (all computers). Right click
your IC go to Properties the Local Area Connection Properties will open,
install Client for MS Network, File & Print Sharing, Internet
Protocol(TCP/IP)(on this protocol click Properties select Obtain IP and DNS
Automatically), install NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios Protocol(this will allow the
firewall to be enabled), click OK. Now back on your Network Connections
click on the left of the page, Setup a Small Home Network, the wizard will
open then just follow the instructions, when you get to the point to Create
a Floppy then do so, then you just run it on the other computer,(insert the
floppy in the other puter open My Computer double click A drive then double
click the link that appears. Be sure to name your Workgroup (not domain) the
same and give each computer a different name.

To hook up Printer sharing just install the printer on the host computer go
to Printer and Faxes right click your printer, then go to Sharing, then set
it to Share then name it, click OK.

Go to the other computer open Printer & Faxes on the left of the page click
and a printer then follow the instructions.

--
Hope This Helps
Haus

http://www.practicallynetworked.com
http://www.wown.com
http://www.homenethelp.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol is not needed. TCP/IP or IP is all that
is required.

"Haus" <youknow@Iwillslapyou> wrote in message
> Hello Amy
> See if this makes any since.
>
> First open the Properties of My Network Places, delete or disable all
> connections except your internet connection, (all computers). Right click
> your IC go to Properties the Local Area Connection Properties will open,
> install Client for MS Network, File & Print Sharing, Internet
> Protocol(TCP/IP)(on this protocol click Properties select Obtain IP and
DNS
> Automatically), install NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios Protocol(this will allow
the
> firewall to be enabled), click OK. Now back on your Network Connections
> click on the left of the page, Setup a Small Home Network, the wizard will
> open then just follow the instructions, when you get to the point to
Create
> a Floppy then do so, then you just run it on the other computer,(insert
the
> floppy in the other puter open My Computer double click A drive then
double
> click the link that appears. Be sure to name your Workgroup (not domain)
the
> same and give each computer a different name.
>

> To hook up Printer sharing just install the printer on the host computer
go
> to Printer and Faxes right click your printer, then go to Sharing, then
set
> it to Share then name it, click OK.
>
> Go to the other computer open Printer & Faxes on the left of the page
click
> and a printer then follow the instructions.
>

> --
> Hope This Helps
> Haus
> Not a MVP
> Not a MS-MVP
> Not nothing just a good ole boy..;)
> "Amy" <ab@mdahospital.com> wrote in message
> > I have a DSL connection and I bought a Linksys WRV54G router so that I
can
> > get 2 PCs vpn'd in to my company network. I set up both PCs to use the
> same
> > WORKGROUP but they still can't see each other. My DSL provider may have
> > added some firewall stuff or maybe I just know less about what I'm doing
> > than I thought. Can somebody please tell me of a good web page that'll
> walk
> > me through setting up a home network with a DSL connection and a router?
> > need something real basic that says click this, type this IP, check this
> > check box, etc.
> > Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

And if those links didn't tell you to have identical usernames/passwords on
both counputers....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"BobC" <nospam@nospam.here> kirjoitti viestissä
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:51:51 -0500, Amy wrote:
>
> > I have a DSL connection and I bought a Linksys WRV54G router so that I
can
> > get 2 PCs vpn'd in to my company network. I set up both PCs to use the
same
> > WORKGROUP but they still can't see each other. My DSL provider may have
> > added some firewall stuff or maybe I just know less about what I'm doing
> > than I thought. Can somebody please tell me of a good web page that'll
walk
> > me through setting up a home network with a DSL connection and a router?
> > need something real basic that says click this, type this IP, check this
> > check box, etc.
> > Thanks
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com
> http://www.wown.com
> http://www.homenethelp.com

amy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

My problem may be more basic. When I plug the ethernet cable into my pc and
the dsl modem the light on the ethernet cad on the pc is red. isn't it
supposed to be green? Device manager says it's working fine.

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> And if those links didn't tell you to have identical usernames/passwords
on
> both counputers....
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "BobC" <nospam@nospam.here> kirjoitti viestissä
> > On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:51:51 -0500, Amy wrote:
> >
> > > I have a DSL connection and I bought a Linksys WRV54G router so that I
> can
> > > get 2 PCs vpn'd in to my company network. I set up both PCs to use the
> same
> > > WORKGROUP but they still can't see each other. My DSL provider may
have
> > > added some firewall stuff or maybe I just know less about what I'm
doing
> > > than I thought. Can somebody please tell me of a good web page that'll
> walk
> > > me through setting up a home network with a DSL connection and a
router?
> > > need something real basic that says click this, type this IP, check
this
> > > check box, etc.
> > > Thanks
> >
> > http://www.practicallynetworked.com
> > http://www.wown.com
> > http://www.homenethelp.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Google is a great tool...
EtherLink III ISA Network Interface Card User Guide ...
Figure 1-1 3C509B Network Interface Cards. Each NIC has a
light-emitting diode (LED) called the link LED, which
indicates whether there is an active connection ...
support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/
nic/3c509b/docs/ug/ch1.htm - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

3Com - 3C509 Network Interface Card ... Does the light now
flash Green-Red? ... If not, there is something wrong with
the card? could be that it is not plugged into the network
(but unlikely), or that ...
support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/
xjaem3336/mac_installation.htm - 27k - Cached - Similar
pages
[ More results from support.3com.com ]

PREMIO Computer, Inc. Troubleshooting Guide : Network
Interface ... Network Interface Card (NIC). Jump to the
self-diagnostic flowchart, or ... the cable connection from
your network card to the ... 2. Check the LED/light at the
back of ...
support.premiopc.com/ts/nic.htm - 15k - Cached -
Similar pages

What is a NIC? Network Card Link Interface Cards Lights Data
.... the time comes. More on this subject Beginner's Help BUG
Club Home What is a NIC? Network Card Link Interface Cards
Lights Data.
bugclub.org/beginners/networking/NetworkCard.html -
5k - Cached - Similar pages

[PDF] Before You Begin Installing the Network Interface Card
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
... 45 cable to the RJ-45 port on the Network
Interface Card. ... may proceed to setting up the card on
your ... the instructions on Connecting Your Network Hub
starting ...
www.resnet.mtu.edu/download/win/winnic.pdf - Similar
pages

| My problem may be more basic. When I plug the ethernet
cable into my pc and
| the dsl modem the light on the ethernet cad on the pc is
red. isn't it
| supposed to be green? Device manager says it's working
fine.

| "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in
message
| > And if those links didn't tell you to have identical
usernames/passwords
| on
| > both counputers....
| >

| > --
| > Tumppi
| > Reply to group
| > =================================================
| > Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
| > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
| > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
| > =================================================
| >

| > "BobC" <nospam@nospam.here> kirjoitti viestissä

WRV54G router so that I
| > can
both PCs to use the
| > same
DSL provider may
| have
about what I'm
| doing
good web page that'll
| > walk
connection and a
| router?
| this
| > >
| > > http://www.practicallynetworked.com
| > > http://www.wown.com
| > > http://www.homenethelp.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello Amy
Yes the ethernet card light should be green.
You will have to plug the Modem in the back of the router in the WAN
connection, then using CAT 45 cable plug the computer in the back of the
router in 1-4 connection.

--

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 08:13:38 -0500, "Haus" <youknow@Iwillslapyou>
wrote:

>Hello Amy
>Yes the ethernet card light should be green.
>You will have to plug the Modem in the back of the router in the WAN
>connection, then using CAT 45 cable plug the computer in the back of the
>router in 1-4 connection.

Wrong. The light on the LAN card isn't always green. The one on my
card here at home is Orange. At work, the lights on the cards are
red. The only important thing is that the light is the color the
manufacturer says it should be.