P4P800-E Deluxe & SP2 -- any isssue to be worried about?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2004 3:05:04 PM

Anyone here have a P4P800-E Deluxe, Windows XP Home and SP2 installed? Any
issues to know about? My system has a P4/3.0C, WD SATA HD and second IDE
HD, 2GB RAM, Matrox G450, and a couple of other peripherals.

I've installed SP2 on an ASUS CUV4X-E and a Dell laptop (both XP Home) with
no problems. Before installing SP2 on my "mission critical" desktop, I
thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

John
August 23, 2004 3:09:50 AM

Ive got the similar p4c800-E Del , a SATA drive etc... Works Fine for me.

"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone here have a P4P800-E Deluxe, Windows XP Home and SP2 installed?
> Any
> issues to know about? My system has a P4/3.0C, WD SATA HD and second IDE
> HD, 2GB RAM, Matrox G450, and a couple of other peripherals.
>
> I've installed SP2 on an ASUS CUV4X-E and a Dell laptop (both XP Home)
> with
> no problems. Before installing SP2 on my "mission critical" desktop, I
> thought I'd ask.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 3:09:51 AM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:09:50 +0100, "Alex" <@> wrote:

>Ive got the similar p4c800-E Del , a SATA drive etc... Works Fine for me.
>
>"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone here have a P4P800-E Deluxe, Windows XP Home and SP2 installed?
>> Any
>> issues to know about? My system has a P4/3.0C, WD SATA HD and second IDE
>> HD, 2GB RAM, Matrox G450, and a couple of other peripherals.
>>
>> I've installed SP2 on an ASUS CUV4X-E and a Dell laptop (both XP Home)
>> with
>> no problems. Before installing SP2 on my "mission critical" desktop, I
>> thought I'd ask.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> John

I've got a P4P800-E Deluxe, Windows XP pro, SP2 installed with 2
120gig sata's off of ICH5R. Was set up in raid but found no real
reason to gamble with corruption as the speeds were not much better
than separate drives.
Water cooled Koolance 2.8@3.2 just a perfect system.

PT
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 5:21:38 AM

John Blaustein wrote:
> Anyone here have a , Windows XP Home and SP2 installed? Any
> issues to know about? My system has a P4/3.0C, WD SATA HD and second IDE
> HD, 2GB RAM, Matrox G450, and a couple of other peripherals.
>
> I've installed SP2 on an ASUS CUV4X-E and a Dell laptop (both XP Home) with
> no problems. Before installing SP2 on my "mission critical" desktop, I
> thought I'd ask.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

Nearly the same hear. P4P800-E Deluxe, 2.8 (NW) S-ATA Samsung 1614c,
Samsung 1614n (ide), 1GB Ram, Matrox 550, additional PCi LAN and TV Card
1002 Bios. Upgrade to XP SP2 went smooth, no problems at all with high
io and cpu load.

Regards,

Niclaas
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 5:31:59 AM

"Niclaas Grehling" <niclaas.grehling@netcologne.de> wrote in message
> John Blaustein wrote:
>> Anyone here have a , Windows XP Home and SP2 installed? Any
>> issues to know about? My system has a P4/3.0C, WD SATA HD and second IDE
>> HD, 2GB RAM, Matrox G450, and a couple of other peripherals.
>>
>> I've installed SP2 on an ASUS CUV4X-E and a Dell laptop (both XP Home)
>> with
>> no problems. Before installing SP2 on my "mission critical" desktop, I
>> thought I'd ask.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> John
>>

> Nearly the same hear. P4P800-E Deluxe, 2.8 (NW) S-ATA Samsung 1614c,
> Samsung 1614n (ide), 1GB Ram, Matrox 550, additional PCi LAN and TV Card
> 1002 Bios. Upgrade to XP SP2 went smooth, no problems at all with high io
> and cpu load.
>
> Regards,
>
> Niclaas

No problems here 2.8Ghz Same as Niclaas above but XP Pro, air-cooled
NVidia GF2 440MX acouple of WD PATA, 2 DVD burners.
The pop-up blocker in IE is catching a few that NIS lets by.

How are those Samsungs Niclaas?
I am thinking about getting a pair for raid0.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 5:32:00 AM

Thanks for all the replies to my original post. I'll go ahead with SP2
tomorrow.

John
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2004 2:27:09 PM

Using similar hardware (P4C800-Deluxe -- not E version), SATA+PATA drives,
FX5900 graphics; the SP2 install went smoothly BUT two minor issues came up.

1) My DVD writer (IO Magic 1008 - some generic TW brand) would not hold its
DMA setting after SP2. I solved the problem by upgrading and re-flashing its
firmware. Check your system event logs for atapi timeouts and the IDE/ATAPI
properties in the Device Manager. IO Magic's tech support was way off in
trying to help (they suggested reverting my SCSI drivers -- but this is an
ATAPI device).

2) Mathematica wanted a new license key. Reinstalling the program fix the
problem, and I was able to use the original license key with out problem.
(that's and issue with license management, not SP2).

John G. Shaw (from home)

Notes:
1. Attachments greater than 100K will be deleted!

"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone here have a P4P800-E Deluxe, Windows XP Home and SP2 installed?
> Any
> issues to know about? My system has a P4/3.0C, WD SATA HD and second IDE
> HD, 2GB RAM, Matrox G450, and a couple of other peripherals.
>
> I've installed SP2 on an ASUS CUV4X-E and a Dell laptop (both XP Home)
> with
> no problems. Before installing SP2 on my "mission critical" desktop, I
> thought I'd ask.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 3:24:28 AM

There could be a problem with the Prescott. If you succeed in the upgrade,
please let us know (my email address is at the website in my sig). I have
not yet been in contact with ANYONE who has suceeded an upgrade or clean
install of SP2 with a Prescott or Extreme Edition P4.

http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7447
www.coribright.com

"John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone here have a P4P800-E Deluxe, Windows XP Home and SP2 installed?
> Any
> issues to know about? My system has a P4/3.0C, WD SATA HD and second IDE
> HD, 2GB RAM, Matrox G450, and a couple of other peripherals.
>
> I've installed SP2 on an ASUS CUV4X-E and a Dell laptop (both XP Home)
> with
> no problems. Before installing SP2 on my "mission critical" desktop, I
> thought I'd ask.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 3:24:29 AM

Cari,

I just installed SP2 from the file I downloaded here:

The install went without any problems -- took about 15 minutes or so.
After completing the install and rebooting, I opened all the applications I
commonly use. In fact, I opened them all at the same time. (OE, IE, Word,
Excel, Quicken, Photoshop, Roxio CD Creator and a couple of others.) All
opened without problems, though I did not do much with any one of them.

My system:
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
Pentium 4, 3.0C
2GB Mushkin RAM
WD SATA HD
WD IDE HD
Plextor DVD/CD/RW
Faxmodem

It's my understanding that the P4/3.0C is not a Prescott or Extreme Edition
P4, so maybe that's why my SP2 update worked without problems.

John

"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> There could be a problem with the Prescott. If you succeed in the
> upgrade, please let us know (my email address is at the website in my
> sig). I have not yet been in contact with ANYONE who has suceeded an
> upgrade or clean install of SP2 with a Prescott or Extreme Edition P4.
>
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7447
> www.coribright.com
>
> "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone here have a P4P800-E Deluxe, Windows XP Home and SP2 installed?
>> Any
>> issues to know about? My system has a P4/3.0C, WD SATA HD and second IDE
>> HD, 2GB RAM, Matrox G450, and a couple of other peripherals.
>>
>> I've installed SP2 on an ASUS CUV4X-E and a Dell laptop (both XP Home)
>> with
>> no problems. Before installing SP2 on my "mission critical" desktop, I
>> thought I'd ask.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> John

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 9:08:51 AM

Damn, and I thought I'd found the first successful Prescott with SP2!

Still I'm glad it all went successfully, 3 out of my 4 PCs LOVE SP2, the
other one isn't so happy!
www.coribright.com

> Cari,
>
> I just installed SP2 from the file I downloaded here:
>
> The install went without any problems -- took about 15 minutes or so.
> After completing the install and rebooting, I opened all the applications
> I commonly use. In fact, I opened them all at the same time. (OE, IE,
> Word, Excel, Quicken, Photoshop, Roxio CD Creator and a couple of others.)
> All opened without problems, though I did not do much with any one of
> them.
>
> My system:
> ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
> Pentium 4, 3.0C
> 2GB Mushkin RAM
> WD SATA HD
> WD IDE HD
> Plextor DVD/CD/RW
> Faxmodem
>
> It's my understanding that the P4/3.0C is not a Prescott or Extreme
> Edition P4, so maybe that's why my SP2 update worked without problems.
>
> John
>
> "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> There could be a problem with the Prescott. If you succeed in the
>> upgrade, please let us know (my email address is at the website in my
>> sig). I have not yet been in contact with ANYONE who has suceeded an
>> upgrade or clean install of SP2 with a Prescott or Extreme Edition P4.
>>
>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7447
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> Anyone here have a P4P800-E Deluxe, Windows XP Home and SP2 installed?
>>> Any
>>> issues to know about? My system has a P4/3.0C, WD SATA HD and second
>>> IDE
>>> HD, 2GB RAM, Matrox G450, and a couple of other peripherals.
>>>
>>> I've installed SP2 on an ASUS CUV4X-E and a Dell laptop (both XP Home)
>>> with
>>> no problems. Before installing SP2 on my "mission critical" desktop, I
>>> thought I'd ask.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> John

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 9:08:52 AM

Cari,

I'm three for three -- all of my XP systems took the SP2 update without
problems. In addition to the P4P800-E Deluxe system, one of the others has
an ASUS CUV4X-E board w/P3 processor, and the last is a Dell laptop, 3-4
years old.

I have to confess I crossed my fingers when I started the update going on
all three machines.

news:D 3AWc.32027$9Y6.30228@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Damn, and I thought I'd found the first successful Prescott with SP2!
>
> Still I'm glad it all went successfully, 3 out of my 4 PCs LOVE SP2, the
> other one isn't so happy!
> www.coribright.com
>
> "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> Cari,
>>
>> I just installed SP2 from the file I downloaded here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>> The install went without any problems -- took about 15 minutes or so.
>> After completing the install and rebooting, I opened all the applications
>> I commonly use. In fact, I opened them all at the same time. (OE, IE,
>> Word, Excel, Quicken, Photoshop, Roxio CD Creator and a couple of
>> others.) All opened without problems, though I did not do much with any
>> one of them.
>>
>> My system:
>> ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
>> Pentium 4, 3.0C
>> 2GB Mushkin RAM
>> WD SATA HD
>> WD IDE HD
>> Plextor DVD/CD/RW
>> Faxmodem
>>
>> It's my understanding that the P4/3.0C is not a Prescott or Extreme
>> Edition P4, so maybe that's why my SP2 update worked without problems.
>>
>> John
>>
>> "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>> There could be a problem with the Prescott. If you succeed in the
>>> upgrade, please let us know (my email address is at the website in my
>>> sig). I have not yet been in contact with ANYONE who has suceeded an
>>> upgrade or clean install of SP2 with a Prescott or Extreme Edition P4.
>>>
>>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7447
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>>> www.coribright.com
>>>
>>> "John Blaustein" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 5:46:01 PM

I have a P4P800 Del w P4/2.6GHz 1GB PC3200 RAM, Win XP Pro in P-ATA
mode w 2 WD IDE HDs on the Primary and an ATAPI NEC DVD/-RW and IDE
ZIP on the Seconday. No SATA installed yet. ATI Radeon 9600 and SB
Audigy II.

I ~have~ encountered an issue after installing SP2, though I don't
know if its endemic to this mobo since I've seen people with similar
problems in other NGs.

The problem is, after installing SP2, I cannot get XP to use DMA data
xfer mode on the Seconday IDE channel. All devices use PIO mode
regardless of the setting in Device Manager. I attribute this to SP2
since if I uninstall SP2 and change the settings to 'DMA if available'
XP resumes using DMA mode on the devices. For now I am sticking with
pre-SP2 until I see if I can find a work around.

---
Bob
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 5:46:02 PM

Bob,

How do I check if XP is using DMA mode? Thanks.

John

"Bob Rafuse" <no.spam@all.thank.you> wrote in message
>I have a P4P800 Del w P4/2.6GHz 1GB PC3200 RAM, Win XP Pro in P-ATA
> mode w 2 WD IDE HDs on the Primary and an ATAPI NEC DVD/-RW and IDE
> ZIP on the Seconday. No SATA installed yet. ATI Radeon 9600 and SB
> Audigy II.
>
> I ~have~ encountered an issue after installing SP2, though I don't
> know if its endemic to this mobo since I've seen people with similar
> problems in other NGs.
>
> The problem is, after installing SP2, I cannot get XP to use DMA data
> xfer mode on the Seconday IDE channel. All devices use PIO mode
> regardless of the setting in Device Manager. I attribute this to SP2
> since if I uninstall SP2 and change the settings to 'DMA if available'
> XP resumes using DMA mode on the devices. For now I am sticking with
> pre-SP2 until I see if I can find a work around.
>
> ---
> Bob

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 8:33:39 PM

Caveat: I've only used XP Pro, not Home, so I don't know for sure if
doing this in Home is the same. Also, I've only used P-ATA drives,
not S-ATA.

Anyway, on XP Pro to check P-ATA drive Transfer Mode:

* Open 'Device Manager' (right click on 'My Computer' icon, select
'Manage,' scroll to 'Device Manager' in MMC that pops up).
* Expand the item 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' (or similarly named).
* Right click on 'Primary Channel'. Select 'Properties'.
* On the resulting Properties popup, select the 'Advanced' tab.
* Configured and Current Transfer mode for each IDE device on this
channel is listed.
* Repeat for Secondary channel.

I don't know about S-ATA drives, sorry.

---
Bob
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2004 8:33:40 PM

Bob,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I found it and it reports that my WD IDE HD is Ultra DMA mode 5 and my DVD
burner is Ultra DMA mode 2. My C: drive is SATA, so DMA doesn't apply.

My system:
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
Pentium 4, 3.0C
2GB Mushkin RAM
WD SATA HD
WD IDE HD
Plextor DVD/CD/RW
Faxmodem
Windows XP Home SP2

Again, thanks!

news:D 5KWc.15$yP4.10@trnddc08...
> Caveat: I've only used XP Pro, not Home, so I don't know for sure if
> doing this in Home is the same. Also, I've only used P-ATA drives,
> not S-ATA.
>
> Anyway, on XP Pro to check P-ATA drive Transfer Mode:
>
> * Open 'Device Manager' (right click on 'My Computer' icon, select
> 'Manage,' scroll to 'Device Manager' in MMC that pops up).
> * Expand the item 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' (or similarly named).
> * Right click on 'Primary Channel'. Select 'Properties'.
> * On the resulting Properties popup, select the 'Advanced' tab.
> * Configured and Current Transfer mode for each IDE device on this
> channel is listed.
> * Repeat for Secondary channel.
>
> I don't know about S-ATA drives, sorry.
>
> ---
> Bob

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2004 4:37:28 AM

> No problems here 2.8Ghz Same as Niclaas above but XP Pro, air-cooled
> NVidia GF2 440MX acouple of WD PATA, 2 DVD burners.
> The pop-up blocker in IE is catching a few that NIS lets by.
>
> How are those Samsungs Niclaas?
> I am thinking about getting a pair for raid0.

I like them very much fast, but very quiet drives (for real I had 40 and
80 Gb drives from Samsung, the 80 GB was fast, too. The new with big
cache, 8MB I think are worthy, get them)

Niclaas
August 28, 2004 2:01:05 PM

I had this problem with updating XP Pro SP1a to SP2.

I have a PC with a ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard P4 2.8 cpu, and a
single Seagate 120Gb SATA disk, G550 Matrox DVI AGP video card. I let
windows update download and install SP2 last night. After the
installation it rebooted the system and on restarting it froze at the
XP splash screen. No activity; after 5 minutes I turned it off.

Googling found my answer. My motherboard AMIbios was rev 1001.004. I
downloaded on another PC the 1002.002 rev and put it on a floppy and
proceeded to flash the bios. After this I restarted and was able to
logon to SP2 just fine and all is well so far. The idea that it was a
bios problem came from a message I found on the web in a technical
forum.

My lingering question is why SP1a worked just fine with the old bios
and SP2 froze solid? What was different?
!