P4P800_E Booting sequence question/Promise controller?

Hi

I would like to boot from the Promise controller (Enabled and set to IDE)
but it does not appear as an option to select in the bios. Can it be done or
am I doing something wrong.

The reason I want to use it since It supports ATA133 and I have a Maxtor
160GB (ATA133) I would like to install as the primary bootable disk.

Thanks, Martin

Sharky

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

Yes it is possible.
The only thing you must do is to set the HD on the promise controler in the
bios as first HD
There isn't a option to "boot from promise"
Go to the bootsection in the bios.
Go to de HD section.
Enter on the first HD.
You get a list of all HD's and pick that one on the promise controler.

Martin Zijlstra

"Martin Hirsch" <martinhirschREMOVEspam@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I would like to boot from the Promise controller (Enabled and set to IDE)
> but it does not appear as an option to select in the bios. Can it be done
> or
> am I doing something wrong.
>
> The reason I want to use it since It supports ATA133 and I have a Maxtor
> 160GB (ATA133) I would like to install as the primary bootable disk.
>
> Thanks, Martin

Sharky

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

Yes it is possible.
The only thing you must do is to set the HD on the promise controler in the
bios as first HD
There isn't a option to "boot from promise"
Go to the bootsection in the bios.
Go to de HD section.
Enter on the first HD.
You get a list of all HD's and pick that one on the promise controler.

Martin Zijlstra

"Martin Hirsch" <martinhirschREMOVEspam@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I would like to boot from the Promise controller (Enabled and set to IDE)
> but it does not appear as an option to select in the bios. Can it be done
> or
> am I doing something wrong.
>
> The reason I want to use it since It supports ATA133 and I have a Maxtor
> 160GB (ATA133) I would like to install as the primary bootable disk.
>
> Thanks, Martin

Thanks, it works.
Martin

On 23-Aug-2004, "Sharky" <martinz(nospam)@planet.nl> wrote:

> Yes it is possible.
> The only thing you must do is to set the HD on the promise controler in
> the
> bios as first HD
> There isn't a option to "boot from promise"
> Go to the bootsection in the bios.
> Go to de HD section.
> Enter on the first HD.
> You get a list of all HD's and pick that one on the promise controler.
>
> Martin Zijlstra
>
> "Martin Hirsch" <martinhirschREMOVEspam@cox.net> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I would like to boot from the Promise controller (Enabled and set to
> > IDE)
> > but it does not appear as an option to select in the bios. Can it be
> > done
> > or
> > am I doing something wrong.
> >
> > The reason I want to use it since It supports ATA133 and I have a Maxtor
> > 160GB (ATA133) I would like to install as the primary bootable disk.
> >
> > Thanks, Martin

This info just saved my life

Cheers

Rik