Home Network

G

I've got a pretty nasty situation. Me and my friend each own a cable modem. We'd like to setup a home network between three computers using both modems. The cable modems have dynamic ips that the DHCP changes about once every month. Is it possible to setup a home network running any version of Windows with this configuration? If so I'd greatly appreciate your help. Thanx!

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well i'm not real sure wat ur askin exactly in ur post, or y u want to use the cable modems to run a home network. if u strictly wanna set up a home network to share stuff or game u don't need either of the modems.
are both cable modems connected to internet? if not, will they be or will u only be usin 1 (or none) to connect to internet?
if u usin both (i.e, u both have accounts with isp's), i guess you could install a second nic (works best with NT, not 9x) in the machines connected to modems & assaign the nic's internal ip's. u could even install only netbui as the protocol on these nics (this will cancel any gaming fun tho) to make it a real fast n' tidy home lan. i can't remember if NT will allow u to have multiple ip's bound to a single nic, hence my 2 nic suggestion.
if i totally misinterpreted ur qustion or didn't really help u with my ramblings, plz be more specific & i will try again.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

G

I mean 2 modems, both connected to the internet (2 ISP accounts, 2 IPs), while the computers in the house are interconnected. What you are proposing is that I put in 2 network cards in 2 of the 3 computers and plug my cable modems 1 and 2 directly in computers 1 and 2, then link the three computers together with a hub? That won't work, cause then the third computer does not have internet access, and if it does I end up with the same problem of computers 1, 2 and 3 not knowing where to access the net (though modem 1 or 2) plus I have a real IP problem because incoming data from outside (through the 2 cable modems) would have to find its way to the internal IP of the intranet, but I don't know of a piece of software that does that! If you have any more ideas, please tell me. Thanx.

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is there a reason why you need 2 ISP's and 2 IP addresses?

If there isn't, you guys could split the bill and get an internet sharing device such as the SMC Barricade or a Linksys broadband router. I use the SMC Barricade to give 4 computers in my house internet access as well as network them together through the 4 port 10/100 switch. It works pretty good.

Check out my rig:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>

kevstev

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
What youre looking to do is set up ICS or NAT (NAT would be more accurate if youre using win NT4. essentially you would have to get a hub and another nic, and share your connection through one of your computers. if you want more details let me know, but I am not willing to write out two pages of details unless youre interested.
-k

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the Corporate Republic of America...

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just an extra note here. I wouldn't use an internet sharing device (like the Linksys broadband router for example) if you and yo buddies plan on playing the same game online at the same time. Wat I mean is you all won't be able to play Quake 3 at the same time bacause you will all be acknowledged as having the same IP = doesn't work with most game authorization servers.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

TRENDING THREADS