Unexpected replacement of motherboard now windows 7 won't boot

jpmoore11

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
due to my motherboard failing a few days ago I was forced to replace it, decided to move from a Asus P5Q to P5N-D
Windows will not boot, not seeing the error as it goes off pretty quick but most likely something to do with the hardware allocation
Symptoms: Will not boot into safemode, System Repair will not work, will not boot in to normal mode
Attempts to fix have included using the automatic system repair that windows boots to after failed attempt
tried to use the system repair that OS boots to when loading fails to enter command line and use sysprep but keep getting error
autoqueue.dll not installed

I have very important data that was just aquired when mainboard failed no time to back up need to find some way to preserve all data and Windows 7 Install

System Specs
Formally Asus P5q now Asus P5N-D mainboard
4 GBs OCZ matched pair DDR 2 memory
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6600
WD Raptor 150
BFG GTX 280

I also added a PCI-e Soundblaster X-Fi soundcard
and 3 harddrives have not been reconnected

Azhrei

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Hi there. The issues you seem to be having is a lack of drivers - you're going to have to reinstall windows. However, as you mentioned, you have data that needs recovering.

Do you have another computer that you can plug the HDD with the data on it into, or an external caddy which you can then take to anothere computer? If so, I'd suggest doing this and recovering all the data. Alternatively, you can use a boot utility to access the files and transfer them off. I don't know of any, sorry - google is your friend.

After you've recovered the data, it should be a relatively simple matter of reinstalling windows.

Hello jpmoore11;
The quickest and easiest solution might be to pick up a 2nd HDD and install that into your system.
Unplug the power and data cables of the original HDD.
Then you'll be able to install Win7 on the new disk. Check the BIOS settings to ensure that new HDD is the first boot disk.

Now reattach the power and data cables on the original HDD and you should be able to see all your data when you restart the system.

jpmoore11

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

it is retail so I have access to an install disc

problem with sticking the HD in another system is I can't recover the software I have installed that I do not any longer have install discs for and don't want to have to repurchase as well as tons of settings and things of the sort I need to find a way to leave the file system intact if possible

something like a repair install
is there anyway of doing that with Windows or is there a way to reset the OS back to out of the box state like sysprep does

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
You went from an Intel chipset to an NVidia chipset, short of a reinstall of the operating system you cannot do that. You either have to get a motherboard with the same chipset or you have to do a reinstall since the drivers for the motherboards are different. All of your programs will have to be re-installed. You should backup or your documents, game saves, etc on you boot HDD so they can be copied back to your boot hard drive.

A reset back to 'out of the box' factory settings is going to wipe out all your data and programs.
And it's my understanding that you would have needed to run sysprep prior to a failure.