What are the normal CPU temperatures for a P43.0c?

I replaced the stock Pentium 4 3.0GHz Northwood heatsink from Intel with a
Zalman 7000-ALCU with some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Everything is
fine, I just want to know what temperature I should expect to confirm
whether or not I installed everything correctly. I don't overclock, I was
looking for a more silent heatsink, and the Zalman has been great for that.

I have a P4C800-E Dlx, and it currently reports temperatures as follow:

Room temperature: 25 °C.

CPU idle: 33 °C
MB idle: 32 °C

CPU load: 48 °C (or so)
MD idle: 36 °C (or so)

These temperatures seems accurate, because when I start my computer in the
morning, they are very close to the room's ambient temperature.

I've heard people having their CPU runs at 29 °C on idle, so I'm wondering.
I applied the thermal paste as a rice grain drop in the middle of the CPU
before installing the heat sink on top - so the heatsink spread the paste
itself. I very carefully cleaned the CPU cover before, so I can certify it
was perfectly cleaned of the old thermal paste.
3 answers Last reply
More about what normal temperatures

    In article <iWqWc.75456$F85.1412835@wagner.videotron.net>, "povmec"
    <raymond_hill@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I replaced the stock Pentium 4 3.0GHz Northwood heatsink from Intel with a
    > Zalman 7000-ALCU with some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Everything is
    > fine, I just want to know what temperature I should expect to confirm
    > whether or not I installed everything correctly. I don't overclock, I was
    > looking for a more silent heatsink, and the Zalman has been great for that.
    >
    > I have a P4C800-E Dlx, and it currently reports temperatures as follow:
    >
    > Room temperature: 25 °C.
    >
    > CPU idle: 33 °C
    > MB idle: 32 °C
    >
    > CPU load: 48 °C (or so)
    > MD idle: 36 °C (or so)
    >
    > These temperatures seems accurate, because when I start my computer in the
    > morning, they are very close to the room's ambient temperature.
    >
    > I've heard people having their CPU runs at 29 °C on idle, so I'm wondering.
    > I applied the thermal paste as a rice grain drop in the middle of the CPU
    > before installing the heat sink on top - so the heatsink spread the paste
    > itself. I very carefully cleaned the CPU cover before, so I can certify it
    > was perfectly cleaned of the old thermal paste.

    You can estimate the temperature to expect, by taking

    CPU_temp = Case_air_temp + HSF_thermal_resistance * CPU_max_power
    = 36C + 0.25C/W * 81.9W = 56.5C

    In this case, I'm using the thermal design power (TDP) for the
    3.0C as listed in the datasheet. The datasheet will have a couple
    of thermal resistance number, and I remember the values as roughly
    about 0.25C/Watt or so. The estimate of case air, I'm basing on
    the measured motherboard temperature, and some people find that
    the placement of the MB sensor on the motherboard, doesn't give
    a very good estimate of the real case air temperature.

    So, in your case, either the case air temp is actually cooler than
    the measurement suggests, or you haven't got the processor running
    at 100% load. I use Prime95 for that, and there can be other more
    pathological applications than that, for achieving 100% load. With
    Hyperthreading, you might be able to use a second compute bound
    program, to squeeze a little more heat out of the processor. I've
    never tried that, as I have HT disabled currently.

    I'd say you are doing pretty good for that heatsink.

    In terms of idle CPU power, I've measured the power consumed by the
    Vcore circuit, and on my 2.8C/FSB800 processor, it is 13.2W via the
    12V feed. As power conversion could be 90% efficient, at the CPU it
    is probably getting about 12W. Your idle temp cannot go below the
    case air temp, and again we are stuck with the less than accurate
    MB sensor -

    = 32C + 0.25C/W * 12 = 35C

    In other words, your idle CPU temp should be about 3C above
    the actual case air temperature, if you can find a way to
    measure the actual case air temperature. This of course assumes
    that both out computers have the same kind of background task
    computing load in Windows (not likely).

    A good thermistor is a 1% tolerance device, but after it has
    been soldered to a motherboard, I don't know if it maintains
    that tolerance or not. Thermistors can shift if esposed to
    mechanical shock or bending, and I haven't read anything on
    how much shift in tolerance to expect from a soldering operation.

    HTH,
    Paul

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:44:34 -0400, "povmec"
    <raymond_hill@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I replaced the stock Pentium 4 3.0GHz Northwood heatsink from Intel with a
    >Zalman 7000-ALCU with some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Everything is
    >fine, I just want to know what temperature I should expect to confirm
    >whether or not I installed everything correctly. I don't overclock, I was
    >looking for a more silent heatsink, and the Zalman has been great for that.
    >
    >I have a P4C800-E Dlx, and it currently reports temperatures as follow:
    >
    >Room temperature: 25 °C.
    >
    >CPU idle: 33 °C
    >MB idle: 32 °C
    >
    >CPU load: 48 °C (or so)
    >MD idle: 36 °C (or so)
    >
    >These temperatures seems accurate, because when I start my computer in the
    >morning, they are very close to the room's ambient temperature.
    >
    >I've heard people having their CPU runs at 29 °C on idle, so I'm wondering.
    >I applied the thermal paste as a rice grain drop in the middle of the CPU
    >before installing the heat sink on top - so the heatsink spread the paste
    >itself. I very carefully cleaned the CPU cover before, so I can certify it
    >was perfectly cleaned of the old thermal paste.

    The temps are about right. With that same combination I was getting a
    couple degrees lower compared to ambient. The fact that at idle your
    northbridge and CPU are similar suggests the heatsink is working well,
    but perhaps your case is not quite as well ventillated as my own. At
    25 ambient I would expect to see 31 and 30 respectively. Arctic Silver
    5 takes quite some time and several heat/cool cycles to properly bed
    in. Look again after it's been running a week or two. Whatever, you
    can run at those temps continuously without worry.

    ChrisH

    Tx for the feedback guys, makes me understand better these things. I
    actually forgot to mention that the case fan is low speed, since I value
    more the quietness than the cooling at this point. The case fan is driven by
    the power supply "fan only" connector, which power supply is an Antec
    Truepower 480W. If I connect the fan to a normal molex connector, the
    motherboard temperature goes down, and then the CPU temperature goes down
    also to around 28°C. I should have thought about this one in the first
    place..

    In any case, since operating the CPU at 33°C is OK, I will continue to favor
    quietness. I plan to install a VGA silencer cooler from Arctic Cooling, so
    it should help to cool the case as well since it blows air out thru a PCI
    opening in the back.

Asus Thermal Compound CPUs Motherboards