A7N8X Deluxe Memory problem with PC3200 RAM

Hi All,

wondering if anyone can tell me whether there are any known problems
with the A7N8X Deluxe and PC3200 RAM?

The board is a rev 1.4 with the latest BIOS update. It's been running
an Athlon 3200+ chip quite happily for a while with the CPU at 400MHz
FSB but with 2x256MB PC2700 RAM (Crucial 2.5T) running at 333Mhz.
I've just replaced this with 2 x 512MB PC3200 Corsair Value Select RAM
(2.5T) to get the CPU and memory in sync.

However, the PC refuses to boot with the new RAM unless I slow it down
to 333MHz. I've tried using the SPD setting as well as manually
setting the frequency, but both result in it either locking up during
the BIOS check phase or just after Win XP starts to load, with a
message that one of the Windows files is corrupt. Slowing the RAM
down again or replacing it with my old RAM fixes it. I've also tried
clearing the CMOS but to no avail.

Are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of, or does it
sound like dodgy RAM? Unfortunately, I've got no way of testing the
RAM in another PC, nor do I have access to any other PC3200 RAM to try
instead.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!

Many thanks,
Adrian
9 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe memory problem pc3200

    Adrian wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > wondering if anyone can tell me whether there are any known problems
    > with the A7N8X Deluxe and PC3200 RAM?
    >
    > The board is a rev 1.4 with the latest BIOS update. It's been running
    > an Athlon 3200+ chip quite happily for a while with the CPU at 400MHz
    > FSB but with 2x256MB PC2700 RAM (Crucial 2.5T) running at 333Mhz.
    > I've just replaced this with 2 x 512MB PC3200 Corsair Value Select RAM
    > (2.5T) to get the CPU and memory in sync.
    >
    > However, the PC refuses to boot with the new RAM unless I slow it down
    > to 333MHz. I've tried using the SPD setting as well as manually
    > setting the frequency, but both result in it either locking up during
    > the BIOS check phase or just after Win XP starts to load, with a
    > message that one of the Windows files is corrupt. Slowing the RAM
    > down again or replacing it with my old RAM fixes it. I've also tried
    > clearing the CMOS but to no avail.
    >
    > Are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of, or does it
    > sound like dodgy RAM? Unfortunately, I've got no way of testing the
    > RAM in another PC, nor do I have access to any other PC3200 RAM to try
    > instead.
    >
    > Any suggestions gratefully recieved!
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Adrian
    http://uk.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?langs=11&m=A7N8X%20Deluxe

    PC3200 used on this board must be on the ASUS "Qualified Vendor List" in
    order to run at 400fsb. See ASUS Website for more details. I had the same
    problem with the same board; solved it by using Corsair XMS PC3200 (see ASUS
    site for part number). It seems this board and chipset will only run with
    memory chips from certain manufacturers-any old PC3200 may not work. Let us
    know how you make out.

    Good Luck!
    Paul

    In article <4cd803bb.0408231404.1aba557a@posting.google.com>,
    a.m.strudwick@ex.ac.uk (Adrian) wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > wondering if anyone can tell me whether there are any known problems
    > with the A7N8X Deluxe and PC3200 RAM?
    >
    > The board is a rev 1.4 with the latest BIOS update. It's been running
    > an Athlon 3200+ chip quite happily for a while with the CPU at 400MHz
    > FSB but with 2x256MB PC2700 RAM (Crucial 2.5T) running at 333Mhz.
    > I've just replaced this with 2 x 512MB PC3200 Corsair Value Select RAM
    > (2.5T) to get the CPU and memory in sync.
    >
    > However, the PC refuses to boot with the new RAM unless I slow it down
    > to 333MHz. I've tried using the SPD setting as well as manually
    > setting the frequency, but both result in it either locking up during
    > the BIOS check phase or just after Win XP starts to load, with a
    > message that one of the Windows files is corrupt. Slowing the RAM
    > down again or replacing it with my old RAM fixes it. I've also tried
    > clearing the CMOS but to no avail.
    >
    > Are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of, or does it
    > sound like dodgy RAM? Unfortunately, I've got no way of testing the
    > RAM in another PC, nor do I have access to any other PC3200 RAM to try
    > instead.
    >
    > Any suggestions gratefully recieved!
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Adrian

    Have you tried bumping up the "DDR Reference Voltage" ?

    You should be using memtest86 from memtest.org, to verify the
    memory is error free, before you boot Windows.

    Paul

    if youre able to get to bios, change yer timing to 11-3-3-2.5, see how it
    goes.

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-2408040125150001@192.168.1.177>...
    > In article <4cd803bb.0408231404.1aba557a@posting.google.com>,
    > a.m.strudwick@ex.ac.uk (Adrian) wrote:

    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > wondering if anyone can tell me whether there are any known problems
    > > with the A7N8X Deluxe and PC3200 RAM?
    > >
    > > The board is a rev 1.4 with the latest BIOS update. It's been running
    > > an Athlon 3200+ chip quite happily for a while with the CPU at 400MHz
    > > FSB but with 2x256MB PC2700 RAM (Crucial 2.5T) running at 333Mhz.
    > > I've just replaced this with 2 x 512MB PC3200 Corsair Value Select RAM
    > > (2.5T) to get the CPU and memory in sync.
    > >
    > > However, the PC refuses to boot with the new RAM unless I slow it down
    > > to 333MHz. I've tried using the SPD setting as well as manually
    > > setting the frequency, but both result in it either locking up during
    > > the BIOS check phase or just after Win XP starts to load, with a
    > > message that one of the Windows files is corrupt. Slowing the RAM
    > > down again or replacing it with my old RAM fixes it. I've also tried
    > > clearing the CMOS but to no avail.
    > >
    > > Are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of, or does it
    > > sound like dodgy RAM? Unfortunately, I've got no way of testing the
    > > RAM in another PC, nor do I have access to any other PC3200 RAM to try
    > > instead.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions gratefully recieved!
    > >
    > > Many thanks,
    > > Adrian
    >
    > Have you tried bumping up the "DDR Reference Voltage" ?
    >
    > You should be using memtest86 from memtest.org, to verify the
    > memory is error free, before you boot Windows.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks guys.

    No luck yet - I've tried bumping up the voltage slightly and setting
    the memory timings to 11-3-3-2.5 but it still locks up just after the
    memory count.

    Have scanned with memtest and no errors found so suspect it's the fact
    that the memory is not on the Asus list (wish I'd noticed first - I
    assumed that it would take all PC3200 memory from a reputable
    manufacturer).

    I've had an email back from Corsair (actually "Memory Guy", which I
    presume is their support address) but may see if I can return it to
    the online store (www.dabs.com)

    Cheers and will let you know if I resolve it.
    Ade

    a.m.strudwick@ex.ac.uk (Adrian) wrote in message news:<4cd803bb.0408251112.1e3239f2@posting.google.com>...
    > nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-2408040125150001@192.168.1.177>...
    > > In article <4cd803bb.0408231404.1aba557a@posting.google.com>,
    > > a.m.strudwick@ex.ac.uk (Adrian) wrote:

    > > > Hi All,
    > > >
    > > > wondering if anyone can tell me whether there are any known problems
    > > > with the A7N8X Deluxe and PC3200 RAM?
    > > >
    > > > The board is a rev 1.4 with the latest BIOS update. It's been running
    > > > an Athlon 3200+ chip quite happily for a while with the CPU at 400MHz
    > > > FSB but with 2x256MB PC2700 RAM (Crucial 2.5T) running at 333Mhz.
    > > > I've just replaced this with 2 x 512MB PC3200 Corsair Value Select RAM
    > > > (2.5T) to get the CPU and memory in sync.
    > > >
    > > > However, the PC refuses to boot with the new RAM unless I slow it down
    > > > to 333MHz. I've tried using the SPD setting as well as manually
    > > > setting the frequency, but both result in it either locking up during
    > > > the BIOS check phase or just after Win XP starts to load, with a
    > > > message that one of the Windows files is corrupt. Slowing the RAM
    > > > down again or replacing it with my old RAM fixes it. I've also tried
    > > > clearing the CMOS but to no avail.
    > > >
    > > > Are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of, or does it
    > > > sound like dodgy RAM? Unfortunately, I've got no way of testing the
    > > > RAM in another PC, nor do I have access to any other PC3200 RAM to try
    > > > instead.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions gratefully recieved!
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks,
    > > > Adrian
    > >
    > > Have you tried bumping up the "DDR Reference Voltage" ?
    > >
    > > You should be using memtest86 from memtest.org, to verify the
    > > memory is error free, before you boot Windows.
    > >
    > > Paul
    >
    > Thanks guys.
    >
    > No luck yet - I've tried bumping up the voltage slightly and setting
    > the memory timings to 11-3-3-2.5 but it still locks up just after the
    > memory count.
    >
    > Have scanned with memtest and no errors found so suspect it's the fact
    > that the memory is not on the Asus list (wish I'd noticed first - I
    > assumed that it would take all PC3200 memory from a reputable
    > manufacturer).
    >
    > I've had an email back from Corsair (actually "Memory Guy", which I
    > presume is their support address) but may see if I can return it to
    > the online store (www.dabs.com)
    >
    > Cheers and will let you know if I resolve it.
    > Ade

    Hi All,

    I've just had the following response from Corsair/Ram Guy:

    "I believe you have the first revision of ASUS A7N8X motherboard, and
    if you do then by using two sticks of DDR400 will pretty much not
    function on your system, since it's the chipset limitation. You can
    only run DDR333 on the DDR400, please contact ASUS for more info or to
    double check if this pertains to your situation."

    Does anyone know if this is true? I've not seen it mentioned anywhere
    and the implication on Corsairs website is that their TwinX DDR400 ram
    should work with the A7N8X (though it doesn't stste which revision).
    Is it worth me replacing the Value Select RAM with TwinX stuff or
    should I just stick with it running out of sync with the CPU?

    To be honest - how much of a difference would it make getting the two
    in sync? If it's only a few % I'm not too worried, but if its
    noticable then I would be!

    Cheers,
    Ade

    In article <4cd803bb.0408252305.6250ed04@posting.google.com>,
    a.m.strudwick@ex.ac.uk (Adrian) wrote:

    > a.m.strudwick@ex.ac.uk (Adrian) wrote in message
    > > nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message

    > > > Have you tried bumping up the "DDR Reference Voltage" ?
    > > >
    > > > You should be using memtest86 from memtest.org, to verify the
    > > > memory is error free, before you boot Windows.
    > > >
    > > > Paul
    > >
    > > Thanks guys.
    > >
    > > No luck yet - I've tried bumping up the voltage slightly and setting
    > > the memory timings to 11-3-3-2.5 but it still locks up just after the
    > > memory count.
    > >
    > > Have scanned with memtest and no errors found so suspect it's the fact
    > > that the memory is not on the Asus list (wish I'd noticed first - I
    > > assumed that it would take all PC3200 memory from a reputable
    > > manufacturer).
    > >
    > > I've had an email back from Corsair (actually "Memory Guy", which I
    > > presume is their support address) but may see if I can return it to
    > > the online store (www.dabs.com)
    > >
    > > Cheers and will let you know if I resolve it.
    > > Ade
    >
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've just had the following response from Corsair/Ram Guy:
    >
    > "I believe you have the first revision of ASUS A7N8X motherboard, and
    > if you do then by using two sticks of DDR400 will pretty much not
    > function on your system, since it's the chipset limitation. You can
    > only run DDR333 on the DDR400, please contact ASUS for more info or to
    > double check if this pertains to your situation."
    >
    > Does anyone know if this is true? I've not seen it mentioned anywhere
    > and the implication on Corsairs website is that their TwinX DDR400 ram
    > should work with the A7N8X (though it doesn't stste which revision).
    > Is it worth me replacing the Value Select RAM with TwinX stuff or
    > should I just stick with it running out of sync with the CPU?
    >
    > To be honest - how much of a difference would it make getting the two
    > in sync? If it's only a few % I'm not too worried, but if its
    > noticable then I would be!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Ade

    What slot combinations have you tried. I would try slot 2 and
    slot 3 (the two slots furthest from the processor), as those
    slots should be next to the termination resistors at the end
    of each channel. You can also try slot 1 and slot 3.

    When I look on the Crucial site, there are no warnings for A7N8X Deluxe.
    On the Kingston site, they indicate that using their 1GB modules requires
    slowing down the rate, whereas you can do 3 x 512MB at DDR400.

    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=13239&distributor=0&submit1=Search

    The thing that is puzzling about this, is the original Anandtech article
    had 3 modules at DDR400 as their "stress test" and Nforce2 passed. I just
    don't understand how things went downhill from the original release.

    http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=1759
    http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=1759&p=10 (A7N8X results)

    Here are some ram experiences:
    http://nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49832 (Nforce2 picky about RAM)
    http://nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51062
    http://nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46207
    http://nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19882 (compatible ram, 150 posts)

    Found using:
    http://nforcershq.com/forum/search.php
    Value select (two terms) and click "Search for all terms"

    It is possible that BIOS past a certain release have done this.
    And I did want to buy one of these boards, to play with :-(

    HTH,
    Paul

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-2608040457510001@192.168.1.177>...
    > In article <4cd803bb.0408252305.6250ed04@posting.google.com>,
    >
    > What slot combinations have you tried. I would try slot 2 and
    > slot 3 (the two slots furthest from the processor), as those
    > slots should be next to the termination resistors at the end
    > of each channel. You can also try slot 1 and slot 3.
    >
    > When I look on the Crucial site, there are no warnings for A7N8X Deluxe.
    > On the Kingston site, they indicate that using their 1GB modules requires
    > slowing down the rate, whereas you can do 3 x 512MB at DDR400.
    >
    > http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=13239&distributor=0&submit1=Search
    >
    > The thing that is puzzling about this, is the original Anandtech article
    > had 3 modules at DDR400 as their "stress test" and Nforce2 passed. I just
    > don't understand how things went downhill from the original release.
    >
    > http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=1759
    > http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=1759&p=10 (A7N8X results)
    >
    > Here are some ram experiences:
    > http://nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49832 (Nforce2 picky about RAM)
    > http://nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51062
    > http://nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46207
    > http://nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19882 (compatible ram, 150 posts)
    >
    > Found using:
    > http://nforcershq.com/forum/search.php
    > Value select (two terms) and click "Search for all terms"
    >
    > It is possible that BIOS past a certain release have done this.
    > And I did want to buy one of these boards, to play with :-(
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Paul,,

    Odd isn't it?!! I've read so many conflicting articles!

    In the end I decided to return the RAM for a refund. Hopefully I'll
    be able to test a mate's Corsair low latency TwinX stuff in about a
    month - if that works I may buy some of that.

    Cheers for the advice
    Ade

    On 29 Aug 2004 08:45:04 -0700, a.m.strudwick@ex.ac.uk (Adrian) wrote:

    >In the end I decided to return the RAM for a refund. Hopefully I'll
    >be able to test a mate's Corsair low latency TwinX stuff in about a
    >month - if that works I may buy some of that.

    I went to www.crucial.com for my PC3200 memory. Bought their standard
    type and have not had any problems, They guarantee compatibility.

    --

    Cheers,

    Guy

    ** HTML email should be treated in the same manner as sexual acts between
    ** consenting adults. Only done in private places where willing parties, who
    ** have agreed beforehand, will see it!

Asus RAM Memory Motherboards