Hi, i just build my new PC. It is a AMD64 3000+ with a Asus K8V SE mobo. I
plugged everything in it and when I press the power button, NOTHING happen.
No fan start to spin up, no HDD, NOTHING at all.

I tested with another mobo (same model), other ram, video card, etc.

I tested with 2 power supply, 350 watts.

Is anyone have an idea ??? Is it the power supply that could be not strong
enough ??? Could it be the CPU that is bad ??

you can reply on the newsgroup or to my email at the bottom by replacing the
dot and at word with the good sign.

Thanks in advance

Arthur

arthur dot carre at globetrotter dot net

Paul

Splendid

In article <NcuWc.537$A8.238@edtnps89>, "Arthur Carré"
<arthur.carre@NOSPAM.globetrotter.net> wrote:

> Hi, i just build my new PC. It is a AMD64 3000+ with a Asus K8V SE mobo. I
> plugged everything in it and when I press the power button, NOTHING happen.
> No fan start to spin up, no HDD, NOTHING at all.
>
> I tested with another mobo (same model), other ram, video card, etc.
>
> I tested with 2 power supply, 350 watts.
>
> Is anyone have an idea ??? Is it the power supply that could be not strong
> enough ??? Could it be the CPU that is bad ??
>
> you can reply on the newsgroup or to my email at the bottom by replacing the
> dot and at word with the good sign.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Arthur
>
> arthur dot carre at globetrotter dot net

Will it start with the video card removed from the computer ?

Have you installed the ATX12V 2x2 power connector in the upper left
hand corner of the motherboard ?

Paul

I will assume that you have the 12volt power lead from your power supply
connected to your motherboard.

I just built mine also with the K8V SE Deluxe MB and it did not boot. after
buying ALL NEW equipment (enough to build another new PC), I deduced that
the problem was my keyboard. believe it or not, it was not a second MB, not
the memory, not the CPU, not the power supply... It was the KEYBOARD!! I
never would have guessed it was the keyboard in a million years causing this
error.

Currently, I have a 84-Key IBM AT keyboard (i know, it's 20 years old and i
still love it). However, when i swapped it out with a 101-Key Dell
keyboard, the system came up.

Specifically, what i did was plug a headphone into the green MB jack and
listen to the "voice" and it told me "system failure due to CPU
overclocking" and it hung there. So, next time i booted up the system, i
held the DEL key down (for 8 seconds from power up) and it came up into
BIOS. At which point, i turned ON all the voice prompts to figure out the
problem (after diagnosis, i turned the voice prompts off again).

Now, my system still has the same problem but i am not about to replace my
20 year old KB for a new MB that i will ahve for 6 months.

But, the WORKAROUND for it is when the power comes on, wait like 5-10
seconds and hit the SPACE bar. Then, my computer boots normally. I am
using it right now to write you this response.

Hope this helps

Rob

"Arthur Carré" <arthur.carre@NOSPAM.globetrotter.net> wrote in message
> Hi, i just build my new PC. It is a AMD64 3000+ with a Asus K8V SE mobo.
> plugged everything in it and when I press the power button, NOTHING
happen.
> No fan start to spin up, no HDD, NOTHING at all.
>
> I tested with another mobo (same model), other ram, video card, etc.
>
> I tested with 2 power supply, 350 watts.
>
> Is anyone have an idea ??? Is it the power supply that could be not
strong
> enough ??? Could it be the CPU that is bad ??
>
> you can reply on the newsgroup or to my email at the bottom by replacing
the
> dot and at word with the good sign.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Arthur
>
> arthur dot carre at globetrotter dot net

> Will it start with the video card removed from the computer ?
>
> Have you installed the ATX12V 2x2 power connector in the upper left
> hand corner of the motherboard ?
>
> Paul

With the video card removed, i get the same problem. And yes, i didn't
forget to plug the ATX 12v cable.

But what is the minimum recommended power supply for amd64 ??

Paul

Splendid

In article <sUGWc.51415$X12.4842@edtnps84>, "Arthur Carré"
<arthur.carre@NOSPAM.globetrotter.net> wrote:

> > Will it start with the video card removed from the computer ?
> >
> > Have you installed the ATX12V 2x2 power connector in the upper left
> > hand corner of the motherboard ?
> >
> > Paul
>
> With the video card removed, i get the same problem. And yes, i didn't
> forget to plug the ATX 12v cable.
>
> But what is the minimum recommended power supply for amd64 ??

For that, try looking on the AMD web site. They used to have some
recommendations.

All I can do for you, is estimate the amount of +12V current you will
need. AMD document 30430 says a 3700+ needs 89 watts. With 90%
conversion efficiency, this is 99 watts coming from 12V, or roughly
8 amps. Add 1 amp for fans, 0.5 amps for an idling disk drive,
0.5 amps for a CD, 1 amp for the +12V used by an ATI9800, and
the total comes to 11 amps. So, a power supply with at least
11 amps on the +12V output is needed. I suppose a 350W supply could
cover this requirement - check the label on the side of the supply.
Generally, I would recommend a 15A rating on +12V, to add some margin.

As for debugging your problem, it is time for a "cardboard test".
Remove the motherboard from the case. Strip all the components off
it. Remove the PSU from the case. Set up the bare motherboard
on a piece of cardboard, plug in the power supply.

Your motherboard has Voice POST, and error messages will be "spoken"
on the lime colored Lineout connector. Connect an amplified speaker
to the Lineout connector on the motherboard. The Lineout connector
is to be used, even if you own a Soundblaster or an Audigy - the Voice
POST signal is permanently wired to Lineout and doesn't use Windows
sound.

To turn the motherboard on, touch a conducting screwdriver tip to
the two pins where normally the power switch would be connected.
See if the motherboard will power on, and you should hear "No CPU
installed" come from the amplified speaker. The fans should spin.
The green LED on the motherboard should be lit as long as the switch
on the back of the PSU is in the "ON" position.

Unplug the PSU from the wall (always do that before adding or
removing hardware). Add the next component - logically it should
be the CPU. Power on the PSU and use the screwdriver tip again. This
time you should hear "System failed memory test", because you have
no memory. Continue adding components in this way, until the build
is completed on your benchtop.

That is the benefit of buying a motherboard with Voice POST or with
a POST display device - you can add stuff and wait for some feedback
from the motherboard.

HTH,
Paul

Thanks everyone for your help. I managed to solve the problem in it was it
fact a problem of power supply. After a lot of search on the internet, i
found that a minimum of 18A was necessery on +12V. I bought a new power
supply (still 350 watts but with higher Amper ratings) and everything work
fine.

Thanks again for your help, Arthur