Internet Connection Sharing on wireless network

Tags:
  • Wireless Network
  • Windows XP
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 27, 2004 3:09:37 PM

I have a network of 3 computers - 2 x XP Pro machines and 1 x Windows 2K
Pro operating in a Workgroup on a wireless network. One of the XP a machines
is configured as a Internet Gateway connecting to the net through a Alcatel
broadband modem/router using ICS.

The local network seems to work fine - any machine can see any other machine
and file and print sharing work fine. However my laptop ( one of the XP
machines) fails to be able to connect to the web for any URL except
Google.com. I can access the google site and do whatever searches I like,
but if I try to access any other site from the laptop the IE browser just
hangs. I don't get the "Page Cannot be Displayed" message - the browser
simply hangs.

The Internet Gateway machine (XP) can access the internet normally as can
the Windows 2K machine ( through the shared internet connection). As far as
I can see all the options on the XP laptop are defined the same as those on
the Windows 2K machine. I've read through the responses given to other
people with similar problems and have defined the connections with the
Firewall disabled. However this appears to have made no difference.

Does anyone have any clues?

Thanks,

Dennis Jelavic

More about : internet connection sharing wireless network

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 3:09:38 PM

Try tip #3 at www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm

Carey

"Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>I have a network of 3 computers - 2 x XP Pro machines and 1 x Windows 2K
>Pro operating in a Workgroup on a wireless network. One of the XP a
>machines is configured as a Internet Gateway connecting to the net through
>a Alcatel broadband modem/router using ICS.
>
> The local network seems to work fine - any machine can see any other
> machine and file and print sharing work fine. However my laptop ( one of
> the XP machines) fails to be able to connect to the web for any URL except
> Google.com. I can access the google site and do whatever searches I like,
> but if I try to access any other site from the laptop the IE browser just
> hangs. I don't get the "Page Cannot be Displayed" message - the browser
> simply hangs.
>
> The Internet Gateway machine (XP) can access the internet normally as can
> the Windows 2K machine ( through the shared internet connection). As far
> as I can see all the options on the XP laptop are defined the same as
> those on the Windows 2K machine. I've read through the responses given to
> other people with similar problems and have defined the connections with
> the Firewall disabled. However this appears to have made no difference.
>
> Does anyone have any clues?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis Jelavic

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 9:28:42 PM

Try adjusting the MTU setting.

Explained here:
http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Carey

"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> Try tip #3 at www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>I have a network of 3 computers - 2 x XP Pro machines and 1 x Windows 2K
>>Pro operating in a Workgroup on a wireless network. One of the XP a
>>machines is configured as a Internet Gateway connecting to the net through
>>a Alcatel broadband modem/router using ICS.
>>
>> The local network seems to work fine - any machine can see any other
>> machine and file and print sharing work fine. However my laptop ( one of
>> the XP machines) fails to be able to connect to the web for any URL
>> except Google.com. I can access the google site and do whatever searches
>> I like, but if I try to access any other site from the laptop the IE
>> browser just hangs. I don't get the "Page Cannot be Displayed" message -
>> the browser simply hangs.
>>
>> The Internet Gateway machine (XP) can access the internet normally as can
>> the Windows 2K machine ( through the shared internet connection). As far
>> as I can see all the options on the XP laptop are defined the same as
>> those on the Windows 2K machine. I've read through the responses given to
>> other people with similar problems and have defined the connections with
>> the Firewall disabled. However this appears to have made no difference.
>>
>> Does anyone have any clues?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dennis Jelavic

December 28, 2004 11:55:48 AM

Unfortunately resetting Winsock didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Dennis

"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> Try tip #3 at www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>I have a network of 3 computers - 2 x XP Pro machines and 1 x Windows 2K
>>Pro operating in a Workgroup on a wireless network. One of the XP a
>>machines is configured as a Internet Gateway connecting to the net through
>>a Alcatel broadband modem/router using ICS.
>>
>> The local network seems to work fine - any machine can see any other
>> machine and file and print sharing work fine. However my laptop ( one of
>> the XP machines) fails to be able to connect to the web for any URL
>> except Google.com. I can access the google site and do whatever searches
>> I like, but if I try to access any other site from the laptop the IE
>> browser just hangs. I don't get the "Page Cannot be Displayed" message -
>> the browser simply hangs.
>>
>> The Internet Gateway machine (XP) can access the internet normally as can
>> the Windows 2K machine ( through the shared internet connection). As far
>> as I can see all the options on the XP laptop are defined the same as
>> those on the Windows 2K machine. I've read through the responses given to
>> other people with similar problems and have defined the connections with
>> the Firewall disabled. However this appears to have made no difference.
>>
>> Does anyone have any clues?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dennis Jelavic

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 9:30:16 PM

Thanks for the tips. Before making registry changes I'd like to confirm at
few things.

I may have been premature in stating that resetting winsock had no effect.
In fact my scenario has now changed. I'm not quite sure what effected this
but now my XP laptop and the Win2k machine both behave identically when
accessing the web. If I now turn off the XP firewall both machines access
the internet properly. However the problem described previously still exists
in a slightly different form.

If I access a web site with the firewall turned off the access fails. If I
then turn on the firewall and access the site again I normally get access
(but not always). If I try and access the site without first accessing it
with the firewall off, the access fails. Access to the web on the Internet
gateway machine works normally either with or without the firewall.

I've had a look at the article on adjusting the MTU. On carrying out the MTU
Ping test I get the message "Packets need to be fragmented" for packet sizes
over 1472. The Ping test times out for sizes between 1272 - 1472. Below 1272
The Ping gets a normal reply. Does this mean that the maximum MTU size
should be set at 1271.

I am also confused as to whether I in fact am using PPPoE. My Broadband
modem/router IP address table refers to Point to Point over ATM (PPPoA). Is
the issue the same?

I feel I'm getting closer but need to confirm the above before blasting away
at the registry.

Dennis

"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
news:o Qta0tH7EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Try adjusting the MTU setting.
>
> Explained here:
> http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>> Try tip #3 at www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>>I have a network of 3 computers - 2 x XP Pro machines and 1 x Windows 2K
>>>Pro operating in a Workgroup on a wireless network. One of the XP a
>>>machines is configured as a Internet Gateway connecting to the net
>>>through a Alcatel broadband modem/router using ICS.
>>>
>>> The local network seems to work fine - any machine can see any other
>>> machine and file and print sharing work fine. However my laptop ( one of
>>> the XP machines) fails to be able to connect to the web for any URL
>>> except Google.com. I can access the google site and do whatever searches
>>> I like, but if I try to access any other site from the laptop the IE
>>> browser just hangs. I don't get the "Page Cannot be Displayed" message -
>>> the browser simply hangs.
>>>
>>> The Internet Gateway machine (XP) can access the internet normally as
>>> can the Windows 2K machine ( through the shared internet connection). As
>>> far as I can see all the options on the XP laptop are defined the same
>>> as those on the Windows 2K machine. I've read through the responses
>>> given to other people with similar problems and have defined the
>>> connections with the Firewall disabled. However this appears to have
>>> made no difference.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any clues?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dennis Jelavic

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 9:30:17 PM

What firewall are you using?

> Thanks for the tips. Before making registry changes I'd like to confirm at
> few things.
>
> I may have been premature in stating that resetting winsock had no effect.
> In fact my scenario has now changed. I'm not quite sure what effected this
> but now my XP laptop and the Win2k machine both behave identically when
> accessing the web. If I now turn off the XP firewall both machines access
> the internet properly. However the problem described previously still
> exists in a slightly different form.
>
> If I access a web site with the firewall turned off the access fails. If I
> then turn on the firewall and access the site again I normally get access
> (but not always). If I try and access the site without first accessing it
> with the firewall off, the access fails. Access to the web on the Internet
> gateway machine works normally either with or without the firewall.
>
> I've had a look at the article on adjusting the MTU. On carrying out the
> MTU Ping test I get the message "Packets need to be fragmented" for packet
> sizes over 1472. The Ping test times out for sizes between 1272 - 1472.
> Below 1272 The Ping gets a normal reply. Does this mean that the maximum
> MTU size should be set at 1271.
>
> I am also confused as to whether I in fact am using PPPoE. My Broadband
> modem/router IP address table refers to Point to Point over ATM (PPPoA).
> Is the issue the same?
>
> I feel I'm getting closer but need to confirm the above before blasting
> away at the registry.
>
> Dennis
>

> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> news:o Qta0tH7EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Try adjusting the MTU setting.
>>
>> Explained here:
>> http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>>> Try tip #3 at www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
>>>
>>> Carey
>>>
>>> "Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 9:00:46 PM

I'm sorry but my last communication may not have been all that clear. My
current situation is as follows:

If I access a web site with the firewall turned on the access fails. If I
then turn off the firewall and access the site again, access is OK. If I
then turn off the firewall again and then access the site again I normally
get access (but not always). That is, If I try and access the site without
first accessing it with the firewall off, the access fails. Access to the
web on the Internet gateway machine works normally either with or without
the firewall.

I am using the Windows XP firewall.

Dennis J.

> What firewall are you using?
>
> Carey
>
> "Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the tips. Before making registry changes I'd like to confirm
>> at few things.
>>
>> I may have been premature in stating that resetting winsock had no
>> effect. In fact my scenario has now changed. I'm not quite sure what
>> effected this but now my XP laptop and the Win2k machine both behave
>> identically when accessing the web. If I now turn off the XP firewall
>> both machines access the internet properly. However the problem described
>> previously still exists in a slightly different form.
>>
>> If I access a web site with the firewall turned off the access fails. If
>> I then turn on the firewall and access the site again I normally get
>> access (but not always). If I try and access the site without first
>> accessing it with the firewall off, the access fails. Access to the web
>> on the Internet gateway machine works normally either with or without the
>> firewall.
>>
>> I've had a look at the article on adjusting the MTU. On carrying out the
>> MTU Ping test I get the message "Packets need to be fragmented" for
>> packet sizes over 1472. The Ping test times out for sizes between 1272 -
>> 1472. Below 1272 The Ping gets a normal reply. Does this mean that the
>> maximum MTU size should be set at 1271.
>>
>> I am also confused as to whether I in fact am using PPPoE. My Broadband
>> modem/router IP address table refers to Point to Point over ATM (PPPoA).
>> Is the issue the same?
>>
>> I feel I'm getting closer but need to confirm the above before blasting
>> away at the registry.
>>
>> Dennis
>>

>> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>> news:o Qta0tH7EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Try adjusting the MTU setting.
>>>
>>> Explained here:
>>> http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm
>>>
>>> Carey
>>>
>>> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 9:00:47 PM

If you are using a router, there is no need for a software firewall. What
are you trying to accomplish?

> I'm sorry but my last communication may not have been all that clear. My
> current situation is as follows:
>
> If I access a web site with the firewall turned on the access fails. If I
> then turn off the firewall and access the site again, access is OK. If I
> then turn off the firewall again and then access the site again I
> normally get access (but not always). That is, If I try and access the
> site without first accessing it with the firewall off, the access fails.
> Access to the web on the Internet gateway machine works normally either
> with or without the firewall.
>
> I am using the Windows XP firewall.
>
> Dennis J.
>

> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>> What firewall are you using?
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the tips. Before making registry changes I'd like to confirm
>>> at few things.
>>>
>>> I may have been premature in stating that resetting winsock had no
>>> effect. In fact my scenario has now changed. I'm not quite sure what
>>> effected this but now my XP laptop and the Win2k machine both behave
>>> identically when accessing the web. If I now turn off the XP firewall
>>> both machines access the internet properly. However the problem
>>> described previously still exists in a slightly different form.
>>>
>>> If I access a web site with the firewall turned off the access fails. If
>>> I then turn on the firewall and access the site again I normally get
>>> access (but not always). If I try and access the site without first
>>> accessing it with the firewall off, the access fails. Access to the web
>>> on the Internet gateway machine works normally either with or without
>>> the firewall.
>>>
>>> I've had a look at the article on adjusting the MTU. On carrying out the
>>> MTU Ping test I get the message "Packets need to be fragmented" for
>>> packet sizes over 1472. The Ping test times out for sizes between 1272 -
>>> 1472. Below 1272 The Ping gets a normal reply. Does this mean that the
>>> maximum MTU size should be set at 1271.
>>>
>>> I am also confused as to whether I in fact am using PPPoE. My Broadband
>>> modem/router IP address table refers to Point to Point over ATM (PPPoA).
>>> Is the issue the same?
>>>
>>> I feel I'm getting closer but need to confirm the above before blasting
>>> away at the registry.
>>>
>>> Dennis
>>>

>>> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o Qta0tH7EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:37:45 PM

Unfortunately, I have a Speedtouch 530 modem/router supplied by Telstra in
Australia - Telstra is our largest Telco. However they disable the firewall
and don't support it. I've tried Alcatel, who make the modem, and they don't
support it at all in Australia - they have subcontracted support to the
ISP -- Telstra. I've downloaded the manual from the Alcatel web site in an
attempt to configure the firewall myself, but unfortunately configuration is
through a command line interface and the parameters are beyond my level of
network understanding.

I really just wanted to do something which I thought was going to be very
simple. I have two desktop computers at home each with a D-Link DWL 520+
wireless adapter operating in a Workgroup. I have just recently bought a new
laptop which I added to the workgroup so that I could share files and
printing across this little LAN. One of the two desktops has the Speedtouch
530 attached to it and I was hoping that all my machines would have shared
access to the internet through that gateway. I also want to use the laptop
to connect to the internet through public access points. Alas it is proving
to be not as easy as I had anticipated

To complete the picture, before acquiring the new laptop, I had an old NT
Server machine also in the workgroup. It connected to the wireless net
through an D-Link DWL 900 AP+ access point. When I had this previous network
all machines communicated thru the access point in Infrastructure Mode. At
that time my gateway machine and the Win 2K machine accessed the web without
any problems but the NT Server could only access the Google site but no
other -- just like the laptop when I initally conected it to this LAN. At
that point I assumed the problem was something to do with the access point,
so I pensioned off the NT server machine removed the access point and
reconfigured the network to operate in Ad hoc mode without an access point.
That is when I ran into the problems I am now trying to resolve.

If the problem is MTU size related then why does the Win 2K machine now have
a problem whereas it previously didn't have a problem?
This has got me beaten. Is it possible that chucking out the XP firewall
and using another product would solve the problem?

Dennis J.

> If you are using a router, there is no need for a software firewall. What
> are you trying to accomplish?
>

> "Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> I'm sorry but my last communication may not have been all that clear. My
>> current situation is as follows:
>>
>> If I access a web site with the firewall turned on the access fails. If I
>> then turn off the firewall and access the site again, access is OK. If I
>> then turn off the firewall again and then access the site again I
>> normally get access (but not always). That is, If I try and access the
>> site without first accessing it with the firewall off, the access fails.
>> Access to the web on the Internet gateway machine works normally either
>> with or without the firewall.
>>
>> I am using the Windows XP firewall.
>>
>> Dennis J.
>>

>> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>>> What firewall are you using?
>>>
>>> Carey
>>>
>>> "Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:37:46 PM

Have you considered purchasing a wireless router? This would make your
network much easier to maintain, more secure and much more reliable. They
sell for under $30 now!

!