New USB 2.0 Hub issue.

I have just installed a 4 port Hi-Speed USB 2.0 PCI card,
this was installed without any apparent problems by plug
& play at power up - ok so far.

When I plug in a USB 2.0 compliant film scanner into any
one of the new USB 2.0 ports I get a message that a high
speed USB device has been plugged into a low speed USB
port, clicking on this message for further details and it
shows me 4 unused high speed ports to plug into - any
suggestions?

I am running SP1.

bar

Recommended Update for Windows XP SP1 (KB822603)
Download size: 341 KB

This update addresses the "Availability of the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update" issue in Windows XP and is discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article 822603. Download to install the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 update. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

This is available on Windows Update web site.

the problem remains the same.

Does Device Manager show the card as Enhanced USB?

Suggest you open device manager and remove all the USB
ports, hubs and devices that show. Unplug any USB devices.
Then reboot, plug and play will detect the hardware and
install it. Then connect any USB devices one at a time.

"Dave C" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1946d01c44d3d$2d8d5f40$a601280a@phx.gbl...
| I have just installed a 4 port Hi-Speed USB 2.0 PCI card,
| this was installed without any apparent problems by plug
| & play at power up - ok so far.
|
| When I plug in a USB 2.0 compliant film scanner into any
| one of the new USB 2.0 ports I get a message that a high
| speed USB device has been plugged into a low speed USB
| port, clicking on this message for further details and it
| shows me 4 unused high speed ports to plug into - any
| suggestions?
|
| I am running SP1.

Jim thanks for your response but it has made no
difference.

Does the new card work at all, it may be defective. Is it a
"name brand" or a generic card?

If you bought it at a store like Best Buy, they have a "30
day no questions refund/exchange" policy you might try
another card.

Have you opened the BIOS to see if there is any option about
USB that needs to be set?

That about ends my suggestions.

Good Luck

"Dave C" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:197ff01c44d5a$a0baab40$a301280a@phx.gbl...
| Jim thanks for your response but it has made no
| difference.

| >|
| >| When I plug in a USB 2.0 compliant film scanner into
| any
| >| one of the new USB 2.0 ports I get a message that a
| high
| >| speed USB device has been plugged into a low speed USB
| >| port, clicking on this message for further details and
| it
| >| shows me 4 unused high speed ports to plug into - any
| >| suggestions?
| >|
| >| I am running SP1.
| >

| >.

XP may be confused! Disconnect all USB devices and remove all root
hubs/ports from Device Manager. Then reboot. XP should re-build the root
hubs/ports and your USB 2.0 scanner should work correctly.