keyboard problem

I have several identical Gateway Window XP systems set up
in a school. Suddenly, none of the keyboards (standard,
wired) works properly on one of the CPUs. No text appears
when you type in any application (Office, filemaker,
Inspiration, etc.) I have tried several keyboards - they
all work on other machines, but not this one. I'm
guessing that one of my students changed a vital setting
but I can't figure out which one.
3 answers Last reply
More about keyboard problem

    Does the mouse work. If so check to see if the keyboard was
    disabled in the device manager.

    Does the keyboard work before Windows boots, press F8 as
    soon as the computer is turned on.

    No student should have access to administrator accounts.
    You should have XP Pro, which would allow you to set
    advanced user rights.

    Call Gateway support too, you paid them for the service.

    "Brian Lubroth" <blubroth@communityschool.us> wrote in
    message news:19a9a01c44d60$5c64de10$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    | I have several identical Gateway Window XP systems set up
    | in a school. Suddenly, none of the keyboards (standard,
    | wired) works properly on one of the CPUs. No text appears
    | when you type in any application (Office, filemaker,
    | Inspiration, etc.) I have tried several keyboards - they
    | all work on other machines, but not this one. I'm
    | guessing that one of my students changed a vital setting
    | but I can't figure out which one.

    Thanks for responding so quickly.

    Yes, the mouse works properly and device manager says the
    keyboard is enabled. The keyboard does work before
    Windows boots.

    We do have WIN XP on the network but I still have some
    WIN 98 computers on the network also. Until I replace
    those (later this year) I have trouble setting global
    admininstrative rights.

    I will contact Gateway.

    Try booting to safe mode by pressing F8 and the keyboard
    should work in safe mode. You can troubleshoot the keyboard
    then in device manager and control panel, the two place I
    would expect your student hacker worked.

    "Brian Lubroth" <blubroth@communityschool.us> wrote in
    message news:19a9601c44d65$be698ac0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    | Thanks for responding so quickly.
    |
    | Yes, the mouse works properly and device manager says the
    | keyboard is enabled. The keyboard does work before
    | Windows boots.
    |
    | We do have WIN XP on the network but I still have some
    | WIN 98 computers on the network also. Until I replace
    | those (later this year) I have trouble setting global
    | admininstrative rights.
    |
    | I will contact Gateway.

Keyboards Windows XP