Frustrated Mother !!!

My son just spent a load of $$ on a nice gaming PC. He has a ASUS
K8NE Deluxe Motherboard and many other amenities! He has hooked it
all up, turned the switch on in the back/pushes the power button on
the front and only gets a light on the motherboard.

Any clues/tip/hints that could help save his life would be greatly
appreciated!!!

:D

==============

ROFLMAO

"dkweav" <deedie.weaver@tea.army-dot-mil.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> My son just spent a load of $$ on a nice gaming PC. He has a ASUS
> K8NE Deluxe Motherboard and many other amenities! He has hooked it
> all up, turned the switch on in the back/pushes the power button on
> the front and only gets a light on the motherboard.
>
> Any clues/tip/hints that could help save his life would be greatly
> appreciated!!!
>
> :D
>
> ==============
> troubleshooting newsgroups.

Paul

Splendid

In article <412ba08e$1_2@news.athenanews.com>,
deedie.weaver@tea.army-dot-mil.no-spam.invalid (dkweav) wrote:

> My son just spent a load of $$ on a nice gaming PC. He has a ASUS
> K8NE Deluxe Motherboard and many other amenities! He has hooked it
> all up, turned the switch on in the back/pushes the power button on
> the front and only gets a light on the motherboard.
>
> Any clues/tip/hints that could help save his life would be greatly
> appreciated!!!
>
> :D

A couple of suggestions.

1) Have your son prepare a posting, with an explanation of what he
has connected up, and the symptoms. It doesn't do much good to
have a third party relay the info - the job of figuring out
the problem is bad enough via postings as it is.
2) Have a few people in the household read the manual that came
with the motherboard. This will allow you to ask focused questions
here.

The K8N-E Deluxe has a feature, where error messages are played as
a voice recording, by the motherboard. If your son plugs an amplified
speaker into the lime colored, Lineout connector on the back of the
computer, then he will be able to listen to the computer explain
what is wrong. The error messages won't hold your hand, but they
will, with some help from the people here, allow you to focus on
what is preventing the computer from starting.

See section 3.3 of the manual "Asus POST Reporter" for details.

Knowing whether the fans spin or not, when you pushed the power
button on the front of the computer, is good to know.

A hardware inventory, of all the devices used in the computer,
brand names, model numbers, speed and type, is also good info.
For example, there are some moderately old video cards that
will prevent the computer from starting, so knowing the type
and brand of video card helps.

Here is the list of voice messages that will come out of the
Line_out connector on the computer:

No CPU installed
System failed CPU test
System failed memory test
System failed VGA test
System failed due to CPU overclocking
No keyboard detected
No IDE hard disk detected
CPU temperature too high
CPU fan failed
CPU voltage out of range
System completed Power-On Self Test
Computer now booting from operating system

The K8N-E has two power cables, running from the power supply
to the motherboard. There is a four pin connector in the upper
left hand corner of the motherboard. That connector powers the
processor, and without it, the motherboard cannot work. The
second power connector has twenty pins, and is located near
the upper right hand corner of the motherboard. Make sure they
are both connected properly before powering up.

Make sure the power supply has the necessary 2x2 power connector.
This is sometimes termed a "P4 ready" power supply, as the 2x2
power connector was introduced to help Pentium 4 motherboards get
enough power. The newest AMD boards now use the same connector
for the same reason. If your son is reusing an old power supply,
it is always possible it doesn't have enough current to offer
on +12V. Knowing the brand and model number, or even better,
copying the voltage and current ratings printed on the label on
the power supply, helps.

If your son is in "over his head", seek professional help at
a computer shop. Shop around, and see what they would charge to
assemble the computer. That might allow the project to be
finished before school starts again. In the worst case, it
might take up to a month to resolve all issues with a new
build (i.e. returning defective parts etc.), or it might only
take two days if all goes well.

HTH,
Paul

uhm....did you connect the power-switch to the right connector on the
mainboard?

"dkweav" <deedie.weaver@tea.army-dot-mil.no-spam.invalid> schreef in bericht

"Driekes" <driekes@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> uhm....did you connect the power-switch to the right connector on the
> mainboard?
>
> "dkweav" <deedie.weaver@tea.army-dot-mil.no-spam.invalid> schreef in
> bericht
>> My son just spent a load of $$ on a nice gaming PC. He has a ASUS
>> K8NE Deluxe Motherboard and many other amenities! He has hooked it
>> all up, turned the switch on in the back/pushes the power button on
>> the front and only gets a light on the motherboard.
>>
>> Any clues/tip/hints that could help save his life would be greatly
>> appreciated!!!

Make sure the power connector is fully inserted into the socket on the
motherboard.

BP

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:13:10 +0200, "Driekes" <driekes@xs4all.nl>
wrote:

>uhm....did you connect the power-switch to the right connector on the
>mainboard?
Ditto that
Just did the same today after three looks I noticed it off by one pin.

Well, I'm a degreed engineer with 30+ years of industry experience and
multiple industry certifications, and when I build a new system (which I
do many times each year), I always hold my breath the first time I push
the power button, and I don't breathe a sigh of relief until I see the
post screen on the video display.

What you describe is not uncommon. There are two variations, the
situation as you describe, and a second variation (actually worse to
deal with) in which the system does turn on (fans and all), but never
"POSTS". Again, you probably have the easier of the two to deal with.

Total failure to turn on, while it can be due to quite a few things, is
usually due to obvious (once you find it) physical error in connecting
things. As people have suggested, the 1st thing to check is that the
power supply, motherboard and front panel power switch are all properly
connected to each other. At this stage, disconnect everything else that
the power supply connects to DIRECLY (fans and drives -- drives should
also be disconnected from the motherboard ports, for now), but if there
is a connection from the power supply to the video board, do leave that
connected. Don't rule out a bad power switch. If you double check
everything and it still looks right, pull the front panel power switch
connection and short the power switch pins with a screwdriver. Note, do
this with extreme care, if you short the wrong pins you can damage
things. Also, you probably will be "startled" if it does start when you
do this, and your reaction to that can also either do damage to the
motherboard or to your hand. So be mentally prepared for the noise,
lights, fans, etc. if it does start up this way.

If the simple things don't fix it, we start to move into the realm of
more serious problems, bad power supply, bad motherboard, or short
somewhere (most likely, case shorted to something on or under the
motherboard). Improper installation of cards (PCI and/or AGP), CPU or
memory can all cause this (and may well damage the components involved).
But usually it's something simple.

dkweav wrote:

> My son just spent a load of $$ on a nice gaming PC. He has a ASUS
> K8NE Deluxe Motherboard and many other amenities! He has hooked it
> all up, turned the switch on in the back/pushes the power button on
> the front and only gets a light on the motherboard.
>
> Any clues/tip/hints that could help save his life would be greatly
> appreciated!!!
>
> :D
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <412ba08e$1_2@news.athenanews.com>, deedie.weaver@tea.army-dot-mil.no-spam.invalid (dkweav) wrote:
>My son just spent a load of $$ on a nice gaming PC. He has a ASUS
>K8NE Deluxe Motherboard and many other amenities! He has hooked it
>all up, turned the switch on in the back/pushes the power button on
>the front and only gets a light on the motherboard.
>
>Any clues/tip/hints that could help save his life would be greatly
>appreciated!!!
>
> :D
>
>==============
>Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
> troubleshooting newsgroups.
He must surely have the power switch cable hooked up incorrectly inside the
case.

I've built many systems and I have to say that I'm still always surprised
when the board fires up the first time I press the switch. The other
posters have offered some great advice so I'll try not to repeat.

I always do my first startup with only cpu, memory, and video connected.
This eliminates a lot of variables that could affect operation. If it
POST's like that, then I add components a few at a time.

I've seen a failure to start:

1. Forgot to hook up the power switch to the MB (Yeah, this
was quite humbling)

2. Hooked up power switch wrong

3. Had a stuck reset switch on the case

4. Had a bad floppy drive. I reckon it was shorting out
internally. This was somehow sensed by the power supply which faulted
out until the bad drive was disconnected.

Have patience and go over all the steps in the manual again. You'll soon
be up and running

Good luck

-G
max20 (at) nc (dot) rr (dot) com

deedie.weaver@tea.army-dot-mil.no-spam.invalid (dkweav) wrote in

> My son just spent a load of $$ on a nice gaming PC. He has a ASUS
> K8NE Deluxe Motherboard and many other amenities! He has hooked it
> all up, turned the switch on in the back/pushes the power button on
> the front and only gets a light on the motherboard.
>
> Any clues/tip/hints that could help save his life would be greatly
> appreciated!!!

I might add clearing cmos as another "thing to try". Have had to do
it a few times with new boards, or the cmos jumper may be in the
"clear" position and should be moved to the "normal" position. Also,
on rare occasions a board may not be fully seated in the mobo, such as
a video card.

--
Best regards,
Kyle