P4P800 Deluxe and SP2 and Ultra DMA 5 Problems

nbk

Hi

After installing Windows SP2, my Maxtor 40Gb 7200rpm HDD is now Ultra
DMA 2 instead of UDMA 5. Is there a work around besides uninstalling SP2?

NBK

> After installing Windows SP2, my Maxtor 40Gb 7200rpm HDD is now
Ultra
> DMA 2 instead of UDMA 5. Is there a work around besides
uninstalling SP2?

Check the IDE configuration in BIOS. What does the BIOS detect for
the drive? Can you set DMA Ultra 5 mode for the drive in the BIOS?

If that checks out, try uninstalling the IDE channel or controller
from Device Manager, rebooting and letting XP redetect.

There certainly seems to be a lot of weirdness with SP2 and IDE xfer
modes... at least with the P4P800 Deluxes. On my P4P800 Deluxe I
can't get SP2 to use DMA on a DVD+/-R on my Secondary IDE channel,
where DMA worked fine pre-SP2. My Primary channels are fine.

---
Bob

So I guess it depends... I have upgraded to SP2 and I have no problems with
DMAs... I got 2 SATA drives in Intel RAID1 and 2 drives on the other RAID...
plus 1 DVD+-RW and 1 CD/RW ...

"Bob Rafuse" <no.spam@all.thank.you> wrote in message
>> After installing Windows SP2, my Maxtor 40Gb 7200rpm HDD is now
> Ultra
>> DMA 2 instead of UDMA 5. Is there a work around besides
> uninstalling SP2?
>
> Check the IDE configuration in BIOS. What does the BIOS detect for
> the drive? Can you set DMA Ultra 5 mode for the drive in the BIOS?
>
> If that checks out, try uninstalling the IDE channel or controller
> from Device Manager, rebooting and letting XP redetect.
>
> There certainly seems to be a lot of weirdness with SP2 and IDE xfer
> modes... at least with the P4P800 Deluxes. On my P4P800 Deluxe I
> can't get SP2 to use DMA on a DVD+/-R on my Secondary IDE channel,
> where DMA worked fine pre-SP2. My Primary channels are fine.
>
> ---
> Bob

nbk

Bob Rafuse wrote:
>>After installing Windows SP2, my Maxtor 40Gb 7200rpm HDD is now
>
> Ultra
>
>>DMA 2 instead of UDMA 5. Is there a work around besides
>
> uninstalling SP2?
>
> Check the IDE configuration in BIOS. What does the BIOS detect for
> the drive? Can you set DMA Ultra 5 mode for the drive in the BIOS?
>
> If that checks out, try uninstalling the IDE channel or controller
> from Device Manager, rebooting and letting XP redetect.
>
> There certainly seems to be a lot of weirdness with SP2 and IDE xfer
> modes... at least with the P4P800 Deluxes. On my P4P800 Deluxe I
> can't get SP2 to use DMA on a DVD+/-R on my Secondary IDE channel,
> where DMA worked fine pre-SP2. My Primary channels are fine.
>
> ---
> Bob

The BIOS detects UDMA2 for the Maxtor and i cannot set anything above it.

> The BIOS detects UDMA2 for the Maxtor and i cannot set anything
above it.

If the BIOS is detecting mode 2 and mode 5 isn't an available BIOS
option, I doubt that XP was ever truly using mode 5 pre-SP2. SP2 does
not change BIOS settings nor can XP force a data transfer mode the
device does not support. Around the same time you installed SP2, did
you happen to:
* Perform any BIOS tweaking or upgrading?
* Changed any mobo jumpers?
* Changed the drive firmware?
* Move around the drive(s) i.e. changing what IDE channel or
controller it was installed on, moved it from Master to Slave or vice
versa, etc? ]
* Made any other hardware configuration changes to your box?
Those are the only things I can think of that could possibly - and
even then its a stretch - cause the BIOS to now detect an IDE device
now as mode 2 where previously it allowed mode 5.

---
Bob

nbk

Bob Rafuse wrote:
>>The BIOS detects UDMA2 for the Maxtor and i cannot set anything
>
> above it.
>
> If the BIOS is detecting mode 2 and mode 5 isn't an available BIOS
> option, I doubt that XP was ever truly using mode 5 pre-SP2. SP2 does
> not change BIOS settings nor can XP force a data transfer mode the
> device does not support. Around the same time you installed SP2, did
> you happen to:
> * Perform any BIOS tweaking or upgrading?
> * Changed any mobo jumpers?
> * Changed the drive firmware?
> * Move around the drive(s) i.e. changing what IDE channel or
> controller it was installed on, moved it from Master to Slave or vice
> versa, etc? ]
> * Made any other hardware configuration changes to your box?
> Those are the only things I can think of that could possibly - and
> even then its a stretch - cause the BIOS to now detect an IDE device
> now as mode 2 where previously it allowed mode 5.
>
> ---
> Bob

I turned on 32bit access for my HDD in the BIOS. I have not changed
channels or moved it to Slave. I know XP SP2 had nothing to do with
this mess. I agree Bob that the IDE port has been allowing only UDMA2
all along and i just noticed it. I suspect that the P4P800 Deluxe is
causing this.
NBK

> I turned on 32bit access for my HDD in the BIOS.

Out of sheer curiosity, you can try returning the BIOS setting to its
original setting and seeing if that has any effect. I doubt it, but
you never know.

Best of luck,

---
Bob

nbk

Bob Rafuse wrote:
>>I turned on 32bit access for my HDD in the BIOS.
>

> Out of sheer curiosity, you can try returning the BIOS setting to its
> original setting and seeing if that has any effect. I doubt it, but
> you never know.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> ---
> Bob

I updated the BIOS to 1017. Reset the BIOS to defaults. It apparently
resolved the issue.
NBK

nbk

Bob Rafuse wrote:
>>I turned on 32bit access for my HDD in the BIOS.
>

> Out of sheer curiosity, you can try returning the BIOS setting to its
> original setting and seeing if that has any effect. I doubt it, but
> you never know.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> ---
> Bob

The problem returned...Do i have to reset the BIOS everytime this happens...

> The problem returned...Do i have to reset the BIOS everytime this
happens...

Weird.

The only thing left I could think of would be to try replacing your
IDE cable

Good luck,

---
Bob

nbk

Bob Rafuse wrote:
>>The problem returned...Do i have to reset the BIOS everytime this
>
> happens...
>
> Weird.
>
> The only thing left I could think of would be to try replacing your
> IDE cable
>
> Good luck,
>
> ---
> Bob