Serial devices not working properly

Well I have XP home edition and with my business we have
a scale that connects to a serial connection, when tried
on serial it is not seen at all by XP.
If use a serial to USB conversion it is seen in hyper
terminal and can see the data comming down the pipe. But
otherwise it doesnt work as its intended. It works fine
in Windows 2k but not in XP and is there a fix for it?
Ive searched through knowledge base and find in one
instance a possible fix but unsure if it will really
correct the problem.
Thanks
Rhett

First, do you know if the standard serial ports are enabled in the
computer's BIOS? A lot of computer do not have then enabled these days,
since it is becoming a legacy port (will disappear).

"Rhett" <rhettjd@edirectlink.com> wrote in message
> Well I have XP home edition and with my business we have
> a scale that connects to a serial connection, when tried
> on serial it is not seen at all by XP.
> If use a serial to USB conversion it is seen in hyper
> terminal and can see the data comming down the pipe. But
> otherwise it doesnt work as its intended. It works fine
> in Windows 2k but not in XP and is there a fix for it?
> Ive searched through knowledge base and find in one
> instance a possible fix but unsure if it will really
> correct the problem.
> Thanks
> Rhett

I will have to check on that one, its a laptop always
problems with laptops and port settings but will check on
that, thanks
Rhett

checked its set still nothing it works with windows 2k
without a hitch same goes for 95,98 nt4 so its a problem
with XP in itself.
Rhett

XP does not allow direct hardware control, you must have an
XP driver.

"Rhett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:19ea001c44d74$de798ef0$a001280a@phx.gbl...
| checked its set still nothing it works with windows 2k
| without a hitch same goes for 95,98 nt4 so its a problem
| with XP in itself.
| Rhett

Yea thats the whole problem being this item doesnt need a
driver all it does is display information on your screen
much like a scanner, digital camera etc. Something that
needs to be fixed in XP. Found if you reinstall the port
it works for a time but corrupts itself in time.
Rhett

Btw is there a work around for this ?

Buy different hardware.

"Rhett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1988101c44d84$88d26c50$a601280a@phx.gbl...
| Btw is there a work around for this ?

Its a speicallty item doesnt work that way all the time,
works on all op systems but xp.

Contact the device maker and see what they advise, they made
it, they know what is required to make it run. If they
don't want to make a driver or device breakout box then
follow my previous advice to buy new hardware or you can
dual boot the computer.

"Rhett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:19c8e01c44d88$005ea470$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| Its a speicallty item doesnt work that way all the time,
| works on all op systems but xp.

XP has a habit of making the assumption that data coming a serial port is a
pointing device and promptly takes over the port.

After XP takes over go into device manager and see if there is a serial
pointing device listed, if so disable it, don't delete it or XP will again
rediscover it and you're back to where you started.

There is also a way to add a line to the boot.ini file, but I've used the
above method several time, with scales, and haven't had a problem.

If you want to try the boot.ini option, google for:

noserialmice

HTH
Chris

"Rhett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1987d01c44d84$6262a3f0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> Found if you reinstall the port
> it works for a time but corrupts itself in time.

Can you please elaborate? how you reinstall and how long it works then?

--PA